Iraq Surveys: Iraqis Embrace Western Democracy, Shun Islamic Theocracy

TriShield

Host for Orochi
By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer

May 14, 2004, 2:22 PM EDT

PHOENIX -- Iraqis are likely to say they want to live in a democracy, though they don't necessarily understand how it works.

Some pollsters who have done nationwide surveys of Iraq in recent months talked about their findings at a meeting this week of the American Association for Public Opinion Research.

One barrier to democracy is that many in the country need more information about how it would work, their research suggests.

"There's the sense that people in Iraq know they want democracy, but they don't know how to get there," said Christoph Sahm, director of Oxford Research International.

Sahm's firm conducted its first nationwide poll of Iraq last fall, and conducted another in February for ABC News, the British Broadcasting Corp., the German broadcasting network ARD and the Japanese network NHK. Oxford is continuing to poll in Iraq.

Richard Burkholder, director of international polling for Gallup, said the type of government Iraqis preferred was a multiparty democracy like those in many Western European countries.

"Very low down the list is an Islamic theocracy, in which mullahs and religious leaders have a lot of influence, such as in Iran," said Burkholder, who polled in Baghdad in August and nationwide in late March and early April for CNN and USA Today.

In the most recent Gallup poll, four in 10 said they preferred a multiparty parliamentary democracy -- that was the form of government most often mentioned. When Oxford Research International asked Iraqis in a separate poll to name the party they favored or the candidate they backed, the majority offered no preference on either question.

For Sahm, the inability or unwillingness to answer those questions indicates Iraqis have much to learn about how democracies and political parties work after decades living in a country ruled by a dictator.

Sahm and Burkholder said they've found Iraqis have a sense of optimism about the future of their country. But they understand that nothing can be achieved until the nation is more secure.

Both pollsters found Iraqis very willing to share their feelings.

Burkholder recounted how a transitional Iraqi government minister initially told his team Iraqis would not talk to pollsters. But as soon as the minister left the room, another Iraqi laughed and told the Gallup pollster: "Don't pay any attention to him, he's been in Minneapolis for the last 19 years."

Added Sahm, "The response has been tremendous. We go into 100 households and only four or five refuse. It's unheard of."

A recent Pew Research Center study of response levels in the United States found that only about one in four people contacted agreed to participate in a survey conducted over several days.

Both pollsters found Iraqis growing more impatient with the presence of coalition troops, even before the prison abuse controversy emerged. However, most favored getting rid of Saddam Hussein.

Iraqis have identified some successful areas in post-Saddam Iraq, the pollsters found.

"One of the things that comes up again and again as a success in the transition so far is education," Sahm said. He also mentioned increasing trust in the Iraqi police and the new Iraqi army.

"When we see the images of war and terror on the TV screen," Sahm said, "it's hard to believe that behind all of this, many Iraqis are leading normal lives and going about their business."

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
OMFG, the mission in Iraq wasn't totally worthless!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

This has to be a lie .... /sarcasm off

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't doubt it.
too bad we aren't setting a particurlarly good example as a democracy to the Iraqi people though.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
They are saying they want democracy but don't know what it is. Success!

You may as well stop the first old lady you see in the street and ask her if she'd like a golden shower, I bet she'd say yes.

I don't really know what anyone thinks this poll shows.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
BlackSpy said:
You may as well stop the first old lady you see in the street and ask her if she'd like a golden shower, I bet she'd say yes.

I don't really know what anyone thinks this poll shows.

i think it shows that old ladies are sluts. :crying:

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,

Fucking hilarious. :tickled:
Gonna have to try that. :smirk:

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Dumbest poll ever made.
Seriously.

No shit they don't want a Islamic theocracy... Iran's their number one public enemy... unlike the US, probably EVERYONE hates Iran in Iraq.

Anyways, thanks for sharing the information. Them wanting democracy without knowing what it is... that's a bit like attacking a country to find WMD when they don't know if they exist, huh? :oh_no:

dragonwillow said:
Dumbest poll ever made.
Seriously.

No shit they don't want a Islamic theocracy... Iran's their number one public enemy... unlike the US, probably EVERYONE hates Iran in Iraq.

Anyways, thanks for sharing the information. Them wanting democracy without knowing what it is... that's a bit like attacking a country to find WMD when they don't know if they exist, huh? :oh_no:

:lol:

Brilliant poll.

Then again, if you polled most Americans you'd get the same result, but that doesn't exactly explain the anti-gay marriage movement being theologically based now does it?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It also has a lot to do whith who's polling. I'm sure when Saddam was in power if he had a poll, people would have voted him A#1 -- best ever. It's all about not antagonizing the people with the power to kill you, especially when they've shown no reluctance to do so. Just say what you think they want to hear.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
So they don't understand exactly how it works - big deal. Most people living under a democracy don't understand exactly how it works. You people are just so afraid to admit that something good may come out of Iraq that you'll jump on a technicality, blow it out of proportion, and say that it makes the whole thing meaningless just to make yourselves feel better. Whatever.

aria

Former Moderator
Galfordo brought up a good point: something good will come out of all of this, however I think that something good isn't going to be 100% of what the Bush Administration would consider perfectly good. Regardless, it will be good for the Iraqi people. Just not the ones dying and being tortured now :D

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
The way I see it, the best good that's come is that Saddam's out.

Everything else goes downhill from there.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Well, the way I see it - they've been dying and being tortured for 30 years now .... and for absolutely no purpose. At least now their suffering has the possibility of leaving something for posterity.

galfordo said:
Well, the way I see it - they've been dying and being tortured for 30 years now .... and for absolutely no purpose. At least now their suffering has the possibility of leaving something for posterity.

Yep, they just have to die at the hands ofand be tortured by the good guys, right?