Is my Nova killing my PCBs?

I posted this over at SGR with no replies:

Seems like I'm having issues pop up with a lot of my boards.
I'm not a tech-type, so bear with me.
I have a MAS Supernova.
I keep my games in a cool, dry, dark space.
All are kept in anti-static bags.
Still, many of my boards are recently having graphic errors, sound problems, etc.
Not much ryhme or reason to which boards are failing.
I can say that most all games that run on Sony ZN-2 hardware have lost sound.
Taito F2 games have always had screwy colors.
And Hyper Neo Geo 64 games get screen noise whenever there is a loud in-game sound.
Those are the only clues I can give you.
My question is; could my Nova killing my PCBs?
Or is it just coincidence that many of my games are dying at the same time?

Your expertise is appreciated,

A

complexs6

Camel Slug
Thats a great question I got a mass system too and I want to know if it hurts the boards or if the supergun is going out. I really dont like the mass system I think it sucks and I regret not doing more research before I spend a good chunk of change but now I know better and next time I will get a supergun off D-Lite. I dont see how it could mess up the board unless there is a short which I think would do something different like not even turn the system on. Sorry I aint very savy with this stuff but for sure someone here can help better. Good luck and keep me up to date with your progress.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
From experience, my supergun seemed to harm a few PCB's that I had been using and especially making odd noises like you described with your hyper 64.

I checked all my wiring and found it to be good with no shorts or faults.

I rechecked my voltages and found my (ancient) PSU was delivering 4.95 V on the +5 line and a whopping 15-16V on the +12V line! :eek:

I found another psu, this time giving me 5V, 11.95V and -5.05V and it seems to have eliminated all the symptoms I had.

I can't claim this for fact, but my Silent Dragon PCB lost its sound, so perhaps that was why.

For less than $20, you can buy a voltmeter and check what voltages are being delivered to your harness/PCB quickly and easily. That sound problem with the hyper sounds very familliar.

Hope this helps.

Magnaflux - Are you saying that it could be the power supply? Makes sense. A buddy of mine can check the voltage. I'll let you know what I find.

complexs6 - Don't feel bad. I play the crap out of games, but am not the tech-type either, though I have the utmost respect for people who are.

If a Mod feels this thread should be moved to the Tech section, please move it.
I didn't post it there because it is technically not Neo related.

AOF

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
artoffighting said:
I posted this over at SGR with no replies:

Seems like I'm having issues pop up with a lot of my boards.
I'm not a tech-type, so bear with me.
I have a MAS Supernova.
I keep my games in a cool, dry, dark space.
All are kept in anti-static bags.
Still, many of my boards are recently having graphic errors, sound problems, etc.
Not much ryhme or reason to which boards are failing.
I can say that most all games that run on Sony ZN-2 hardware have lost sound.
Taito F2 games have always had screwy colors.
And Hyper Neo Geo 64 games get screen noise whenever there is a loud in-game sound.
Those are the only clues I can give you.
My question is; could my Nova killing my PCBs?
Or is it just coincidence that many of my games are dying at the same time?

Your expertise is appreciated,

A

I would recommend getting some dry packs, and put them in your static bags. Even though you keep your PCB's in static bags, your boards can still get damaged. Sucking the air out of a static bag and putting a dry pack in it, is the only true way you can keep moisture away from your PCB's.

Dry packs are the stuff you find in your shoe box, when you buy new shoes. The little packets that say...do not eat.

It could be the Super Nova, but I wanted to share some static bag knowledge with you. :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also check the jamma connector/edge and make sure the contacts are still clean.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As Far as I can remember,

Anitstatic bags are only anitstatic when they leave the factory.....

Afterwards, static electricity can build up outside/inside the bags.

DaemoN

Camel Slug
People, remember these boards arent computer motherboards.

They're arcade ones, made with industrial standards in mind. Companies know filthy operators will mishandle them and will keep them dirty.

Of course it's better be safe than sorry, but IMHO putting them in vacuumed bags with dry packs is just overdoing it A LOT.

If you keep them clean inside cardboard boxes, they'll be just fine.

As long as they dont suffer with humidity / EXCESSIVE dirt / mechanical shocks (dropping, hitting) / bad voltages, they should work good for years and years and years.

The only things you cant prevent is normal decay, like capacitors going dry or bit rot.

1) Keep'em clean
2) Store them safely
3) Keep the EPROM windows sealed
4) Dont be anal, please :-)