Issue with Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 SA

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
So, I’m starting up my PS3 to play KOF XIII, leave the room for a moment only to come back to a non-functioning HRAP. The PS3 is no longer detecting the stick. I tried both USB ports. I finally tried another PS3, with the same lack of detection.

Anyone got any ideas as to just what this issue may be? Any solutions? Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
It's also worth adding that the stick is virtually new, and I don't think it had anything to do with an update to the PS3 hardware. All I can figure is that it's something to do with the pcb or the power cord, both of which look just fine to me. Any ideas?

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
It's also worth adding that the stick is virtually new, and I don't think it had anything to do with an update to the PS3 hardware. All I can figure is that it's something to do with the pcb or the power cord, both of which look just fine to me. Any ideas?

Call or email Hori Support...if they back up their products they will take care of you...

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Call or email Hori Support...if they back up their products they will take care of you...

I bought it off of Amazon. It’s also a discontinued product, which is pretty much a given considering it’s a Hori. That said, there’s no warranty; if I could manage to convince Hori to fix it, they’d still probably charge me for parts and labor, as well as my having to cover the cost of shipping this monster.

I’m wondering if there are any alternatives, such as replacing the pcb, or possibly the USB cable. I don’t have the equipment to test if either of those are actually the culprit, though I can’t imagine it’d be anything else due to the fact that the PS3 isn’t even detecting the controller at this point.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Aren't certain sticks incompatible with XIII?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Anything that doesn't have the home button?

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Oh, it has a ‘Home’ button. It was working properly, and then is suddenly stopped. The PS3 has failed to detect it since.

Upon reading up on this a bit, I’ve found that the most common issue with Hori’s HRAP series is USB cable failure. This obviously nessecitates replacement. The problem is that I’ve read that the the USB is connected to the PCB through a JST EH Connector. I’m unfamiliar with the exact housing model, and I’m not certain as to how to go about fixing it myself. I’m uncertain as to whether or not I need to replace the connector, or if I simply need to replace the USB cable. There are no instructional resources on the procedure, though it is claimed to be the most common issue in regard to controller failure.

I got very lucky with this stick; I don’t want to sink a shit-ton of money into it if the only thing that’s killing it is a USB cable failure. I’m also not tech’ savvy enough to pull everything out of it and rewire it from scratch.

Does anyone know anything about the USB-to-PCB connection on a PS3 HRAP?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You could most likely just solder a new cable to where the connector is soldered in. A connector is spiffy but how often are you gonna be inside your stick switching out USB cables?*

some tips:

*Well actually given the HRAPs it could be somewhat common. The cord exit on the bottom does not seem to help them last. And when you finish with the stick and put it away, try to not wrap it where you put a lot of strain on the USB cable. I usually leave about 3" of cord going straight out, loop that back, then wrap from that point. That loop won't have anywhere near as much strain as wrapping the stick with a 90 deg bend.

Another, advanced, option to solve this strain issue would be to make a detachable cable connector. You could get a Neutrik USB jack or similar and just use normal USB cables that you attach and detach from that connector.

Last edited:

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
You could most likely just solder a new cable to where the connector is soldered in. A connector is spiffy but how often are you gonna be inside your stick switching out USB cables?*

some tips:

*Well actually given the HRAPs it could be somewhat common. The cord exit on the bottom does not seem to help them last. And when you finish with the stick and put it away, try to not wrap it where you put a lot of strain on the USB cable. I usually leave about 3" of cord going straight out, loop that back, then wrap from that point. That loop won't have anywhere near as much strain as wrapping the stick with a 90 deg bend.

Another, advanced, option to solve this strain issue would be to make a detachable cable connector. You could get a Neutrik USB jack or similar and just use normal USB cables that you attach and detach from that connector.

I had actually intended on doing just that; soldering a new USB cable directly to the board. Then I thought about the possibility of having been victim of a PCB failure, and the amount of money that it would take beyond the investment in the stick itself just to get the thing working. So, I opened a case on Amazon just to see if the return policy would work out for me. The good news is that the seller is dealing with this very professionally, as of now. If I can be issued a full refund, I will just buy a newer model when I have the disposable income.

You’re quite right about the USB issues on Hori models; upon examining the PCB and USB connector, I noticed that the configuration of the whole connection in relation to the housing is an outright design flaw. There is a ton of stress put on the USB cable, and as you mentioned, having the USB engage the housing at the bottom of the stick does no favors for the stick’s longevity. This is all really unfortunate, because the stick – as are most top-end Horis – is well designed and constructed. It’s a shame really.