JALECO

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I was never very conscious of company names or where games came from when i was growing up, but i always knew the name JALECO due to one simple screen:

bases_loaded.jpg

Not the best NES baseball game, but the only one i owned back in 1988, and i played the hell out of it. I guess they rereleased Moero! Pro Yakyuu (Bases Loaded) along with other Jaleco sports games in a GBA collection.

Looking at their hompage and the gamefaqs list of jaleco games makes me wonder how many of their games they actually developed? Nowadays it seems they are definitely just publishing other peoples games (like this crazy truck game from Spike: http://www.spike.co.jp/sindecotora/index2.html) or rereleasing stuff like the aforementioned sports collection or Ninja Jajamaru-kun.

Their games never really had the polish of the more celebrated Japanese companies, but there were some worthwhile efforts. The Rushing Beat games were pretty fun Final Fight knockoffs, and they were involved in some damn good arcade games, like Psychic 5 and Saint Dragon among others:

http://www.klov.com/manuf_detail.php?letter=J&manuf_id=1452.

Anyone else dig any Jaleco games and want to post some shit about them?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Heh, it was funny that you posted that picture up. Immediately when I saw a thread named "JALECO", I immediately thought of Bases Loaded, a game that I probably haven't played in 15 years.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Jaleco released one of my favorite PSX games of all time:

tokyo_highway_battle_front.jpg

I need to find this again and see how poorly it aged. Back before all the street racing games were an established "genre", this was the best we could get until the Tokyo Extreme Racer games came out.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Racket attack and that Jeep game...what was it called? Argh...I cant remember. :( 2 Good games there. :D

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
CCCAAARRRIIIEEERRR!
My first DC game.

I nearly ad a heart attack over the graphics.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Forgot to mention that I also liked that game City Connection from back in the day. Not my cup of booze laced coffee in 2005, but it was fun in the 80's.

GK

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
Super Bases Loaded was one of the best baseball games on the SNES. A lot better than the sequel.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Ghost-Dog said:
Jaleco released one of my favorite PSX games of all time:

tokyo_highway_battle_front.jpg

I need to find this again and see how poorly it aged. Back before all the street racing games were an established "genre", this was the best we could get until the Tokyo Extreme Racer games came out.

THANK YOU! That game was incredible to me when it came out. I was in love with it... I bet it blows now, but I loved the graphics and gameplay back in the day. Yeah, and Rival Turf wasn't THAT bad, either.

Wasn't there a basketball game on NES with little cinimatics everytime you dunked and shot 3-pointers by them? If so, what was it? I've been wanting to play that for years....

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Spike Spiegel said:
THANK YOU! That game was incredible to me when it came out. I was in love with it... I bet it blows now, but I loved the graphics and gameplay back in the day. Yeah, and Rival Turf wasn't THAT bad, either.

Wasn't there a basketball game on NES with little cinimatics everytime you dunked and shot 3-pointers by them? If so, what was it? I've been wanting to play that for years....

You're thinking of Double Dribble by Konami, friend:

14784.jpg

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
I used to play Base Loaded alot it was very fun for its times i remember though it always bugged me that the stats never changed in game. You would hit a home run and then next time that guy was up he would still have the same hr and rbi totals. Its funny I still remember that :make_fac:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Jaleco...what a crazy company. They develop shit and put it in a cart, but have published some amazing games...Shadow of the Ninja and Shatterhand on the NES come to mind, as does R-Type III.

Then again, if anything, they probably hurt sales with some of the worst box art in the old days. Someone find a box art pic of Shatterhand and tell me they would have played it if they knew nothing of it.

and oh yeah, Legendary Axe>>>>>>tea baggin'>>>>>Astyanax.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
EX_Andy said:
You're thinking of Double Dribble by Konami, friend:

14784.jpg

No, I'm not. This one has cut scenes for three pointers as well, but thanks. :)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i've had rival turf since it came out in like 93 and that game was and has always been like the one game i've never beaten. that damn iceman always always gets me.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Jaleco...what a crazy company. They develop shit and put it in a cart, but have published some amazing games... Shadow of the Ninja and Shatterhand on the NES come to mind, as does R-Type III.

Then again, if anything, they probably hurt sales with some of the worst box art in the old days. Someone find a box art pic of Shatterhand and tell me they would have played it if they knew nothing of it.

and oh yeah, Legendary Axe>>>>>>tea baggin'>>>>>Astyanax.

kagefc2ii.jpg

KAGE (Shadow of the Ninja) was made by NATSUME dawg.
Shatter Hand however was made by JALECO. *Also R-TYPE III
like all of the series was made by IREM. :spock:

...also, the box art to Shatter Hand did indeed suck balls, but the game itself looked worlds better than it's original version taken from some stupid Sentai TV Show.

GRIZZLY KING

Last edited:

jp.

Angel's Love Slave
Jaleco made Game Tengoku for the Saturn.

For this, I shall always hold a special place for them in my heart. That and Carrier on Dreamcast, despite the horrendous dialogue/voice acting.