Japanese Universities?

Alright, well here's the story...I attended a local community college for two years, and received my AA degree in June. I sent in my transfer application to the University of Washington, and I'll know if I got accepted or not by next month. I've already taken around 4 years of Japanese in high school and college. While I know a fair amount, I'm nowhere near fluent, and my kanji skills are still very weak. However, my plan is to major in Japanese at the UW, and hopefully do an exchange program while I'm attending. After I get my Bachelors degree, I'd like to do the JET program right after (or a similar program), then settle in Japan with a teaching /translating career. However, let's say I don't get accepted. There's really no other Universities that I'd like to attend in this state...or in this country for that matter. My parents told me that they're not interested in paying for out of state tuition, and don't like the idea of me moving out...so my choices are pretty limited. However, they didn't object to the idea of me studying overseas...even though it probably would cost more (strange, I know). So I was thinking of transferring to a college in Japan as an exchange student, and get my BA that way.

Now my question is: would any of you happen to know some Japanese Universities that offers exchange programs? Preferably ones that don't require you to transfer from a University in the US or some BS like that. I already know about ICU and Sophia, so those are two options...but I'd like to apply at several Universities. I thought I'd ask some of you guys instead of trying to google for shady colleges. Any information such as tuition and dorm costs, or possible scholarships that I can try applying for would be greatly appreciated. Input is also welcome. Would any exchange programs happen to put you with a host family?

Thanks in advance!

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Why would you ( or anyone ) major in learning Japanese, aside from just wanting to learn the language ?

Seriously, 4+ years of college on the line and what career could you make with it ?Teaching others Japanese ? That's the only thing I can think of.

EDIT: If it's all over learning the language then forget college for the purpose. I taught myself French ( near fluent ) in about 6 months. At a school's pace of teaching, it would have taken me 4+ years to be half ass.

Last edited:

syringe

Banned
Abasuto said:
Why would you ( or anyone ) major in learning Japanese, aside from just wanting to learn the language ?

Seriously, 4+ years of college on the line and what career could you make with it ?

Teaching others Japanese ? That's the only thing I can think of.

Combining that with an international business degree might be useful, but I'm willing to be he just wants to play rpg's/watch anime/ read mangas in their native language.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
haha I agree with syringe here.

I'm so fucking sick of white and mexican people trying to be japanese, it makes you look like a retard, and you set a terrible example for americans when you go there.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Man, Finnish your schooling...

But you can get a job teaching english in Japan with no knowlege of Japenese.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Go to vo-tech and learn something useful.

Last edited:

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
hermegildo said:
Why do you want to study in Japan again?
He wants to get a degree that would be worthless outside of Japan.

If you're not getting into a school like Tokyo or Kyoto, don't bother. If your English is decent (doesn't really need to be very good) and you have a good enough command of Japanese that you can engage in a business relationship without insulting the other party or looking bad, a business degree might be worthwhile. English speakers are in high-demand, but you need to be smart and extremely hard-working.

The Times Higher World University Rankings
Rank / Institution / Country / Peer review score

12 Tokyo University Japan 371
29 Kyoto University Japan 207
51 Tokyo Institute of Technology Japan 118
69 Osaka University Japan 78
153 Tohoku University Japan 48
167 Nagoya University Japan 45

aria

Former Moderator
I don't know if I would suggest getting your BA from a Japanese uni, rather I would suggest doing a semester (or two) at a Japanese university while you're getting your BA through a US institution. From there you can see what Japanese university your US school has exchange programs with (and many let you go along with other US school exchange programs so long as the other US universities are major schools).

Of course, if you'd like to make a career out of being a high-paid Japanese translator, you'd probably benefit from simply going to a Japanese Uni.

The Times' world rankings are a good reference as well, but because of it's scope it dilutes individual countries.

I also suggest Sophia University in Tokyo. I suggest this school because I've seen a graduate of that university get into a major US law school (which says something about academic reputation).
http://www.sophia.ac.jp/E/E_toppage.nsf/

Here's Wikipedia's list of Japanese U's if you want to peruse them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Universities_and_colleges_in_Japan

[EDIT: I've pruned the responses by those attempting to make this War Room bait]

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
some advice.

if you want to become a translator, interpreter or localizer you are going to have to have a considerably better japanese level than the english level a japanese couterpart would require.

so youll need more than a one year exchange in japan and 4 years of japanese at uni. doing a degree at a japanese uni would be the best idea for that, youll need to get your japanese up to level 1 though to get admitted to a japanese uni though.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I was a Japanese major, but then I switched it to East Asian Studies. I think you will have more opportunities if you major in something else and then minor in Japanese. That's my advice.

I created a similar topic in another forum, and the people pretty much asked me the same questions. So let me copy and paste my reply, 'cause I'm too lazy to type up a direct response, and it's also late. :p

Actually, I've been to Japan 5 times already. Stayed for about 2 months in the summer of 2004 to teach a bunch of campers English. I've stayed in the country long enough to the point where I know I'd like to live there for the rest of my life. It's been my goal since 1999. I'm not fluent in the language, which is why I was asking for exchange programs. There are Universities in Japan that have special programs for International students, at least from what I've heard.

I'm well aware of Japan's tolerance to foreigners. However, I'm Korean American, so I feel that I might be able to blend in. Some might look at this as a disadvantage, because of the history between Korea and Japan, but I haven't had any problems after staying in the country for about 6 months total. The two countries have improved their relations over the past couple of years, so I continue to be optimistic.

I'd be lying if I said that I don't want to move to Japan because of the pop culture, anime, and video games. That's actually one of the main reasons. Since a lot of my hobbies revolve around Japan, I'd be close to everything I like. But don't get me wrong here-- I'm FAR from being an Otaku or a Japanophile. I'm not one of those people that whines about wanting to move to Japan because I want a Japanese girlfriend. I actually know how to dress in public, and I'm not anti-social. xD

There are other reasons too, of course...I absolutely love Tokyo. I'm quite the city boy, and enjoy the urban atmosphere. My future also lies in Japan, since I plan on getting a Japanese major. I can either do some translating work, or teach English and Korean. Plus, I'd be right next to Korea. It would make it a lot easier, faster, and cheaper to visit Korea compared to the states.

So how's that for being a "white or Mexican person trying to be Japanese"?

And thanks for the info!

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
UW Japanese Linguistics program graduate here.

Studied for a year at Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo. Going to go for my masters degree in teaching very soon.

I definately suggest studying abroad when you're in college. It's the only way to get really good.

PM me with any questions!