Joyboard option - go official or full custom?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
MV-1FZ incoming via snailmail and I'm considering the options regarding controls.

There's not that much space in my new private room and I'd like to have something easier to handle than my Joystick tank (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13831&d=1399628303).

This stick should specifically work with the CMVS I'm going to put together (well this time with a Jamma connector so half super gun) and I'm considering picking um an Omega later (in half a year/year) to have a "nice and tidy" version.

Therefore the connector will be DB15 no matter if I go my own route or use an official stick.
If building it myself I would like to stay as close to the original button setup as possible therefore: what would you recommend?
A) Get an official stick (what are the prices on those?)
B) Get an official old stick and mod the parts (sanwa fitting?)
C) go totally custom built?

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
MV-1FZ incoming via snailmail and I'm considering the options regarding controls.

There's not that much space in my new private room and I'd like to have something easier to handle than my Joystick tank (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13831&d=1399628303).

This stick should specifically work with the CMVS I'm going to put together (well this time with a Jamma connector so half super gun) and I'm considering picking um an Omega later (in half a year/year) to have a "nice and tidy" version.

Therefore the connector will be DB15 no matter if I go my own route or use an official stick.
If building it myself I would like to stay as close to the original button setup as possible therefore: what would you recommend?
A) Get an official stick (what are the prices on those?)
B) Get an official old stick and mod the parts (sanwa fitting?)
C) go totally custom built?

A) Original NEO GEO, not the Tommo NEO GEO X garbage, the NEO GEO AES controler is anywhere from $30 to $250 (not including shipping) based on condition, does it come with the original box, and where its coming from.
I got a original AES arcade stick that needed some repairs (the cord was shot) for $50.

B) Well the SNK made AES controller as well as Hori's NEO GEO stick will take 24mm Japanese buttons, I don't know about installing a JLF in there. its possible but it be difficult.

C) There is alot of options here as going custom, you got as many options out there as you could imagine.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
The original old style, bean style, or neo cd pad is just okay for casual gaming. Not the most precise controls for any fighters or serious gaming in my opinion. It's also not that reliable and replacement parts are hard to come by. The custom stick might be a better choice in the long run as replacement parts are cheap, easy to obtain, and best of all you can have it your way with a custom stick.

Last edited:

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Thank you for the insights - atm I lean towards trying to get my hands on A) and use sanwa parts to start B) if something is worn out or damaged. (Guess I'll test and debug the controls with a modded old MS SideWinder before)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
well, if you want to stay close to the original button layout, I'd just stick to the original home console stick ("oldstyle"). Get one that is a little worn down, so you don't have to pay out of your nose, and refurbish it. Replacing the buttons with Seimitsu (or Sanwa, if you prefer) arcade buttons does a lot for that stick (24mm, Sanwa snap ins, Seimitsu screw ins), you should also put some fresh lube on the stick itself. If the ball is cracked you can just get a Sanwa 35mm ball top. It is hard to find a replacement spring, which sucks, but new microswitches for the stick can be found pretty easy. Putting a JLF or other replacement stick in there is posible, but I wouldn't recommend it - IMO it'd be easier and more worthwile to mod another stick/build your own and the stick in the oldstyle controller is great already.

While we're there, the Hori Neo sticks can be modded with a JLF and fresh buttons quite easily and play super nice (lots of info here). There are Seimitsu parts in it from factory, so if those are still good enough to play there's litte reason to mod it anyway. I really dig the button layout of the Hori :).
If you're building a multi-console/multi-arcade-board stick, the Agetec ("Dreamcast Arcade Stick") is a very nice option.

DeusVult

Another Striker
i bought a broken neo geo cd pad so i could get the cable from it and converted a nintendo top fighter joystick with it, it meant i could get get mulitple button layouts, as i like to the joystick but like the ngcd pad button layout, i am thinking of upgrading it sanwa
buttons soon

DPsx7

Banned
Is it really that easy to build your own? I think I overpaid a little on the AES control I got with the Omega and although second players are rare around here it would be nice to have another.

I'll be checking out those links. Thanks.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
wiring your own controller, regardless if its a modification of a retail controller or a custom case isn't hard at all.
its basic electrical wiring, it is easier if you daisy-chain your ground wire from button to button as the DB 15 connector pin out allows only for 1 ground.

You don't even need the 5 volt line unless your wiring up a optical Joystick, LED lights or including a PCB for various game consoles.

If you are wiring up a existing PS3 or Xbox 360 arcade stick to include NEO GEO support, treat it almost like a Dual-mod and make sure the +5 volts and ground from your DB 15 connector/cable is connected to the respective VCC and gnd points on the board.

DPsx7

Banned
Does anyone have a source for DB 15 connectors? I'd hate to cut up a controller, broken or not.

*Oh yeah, it would be pretty simple just to cut an end off an extension cable. Duh.

Last edited:

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
db15_laugh.PNG
NeoGeoXLsheet.jpg

Here the basic DB 15 wiring
This should cover both NEO GEO and NEO GEO+ formats.

NEO GEO+ is for superguns that also have support for 6 button games like Capcom titles.

xsq

Oh yeah, it would be pretty simple just to cut an end off an extension cable. Duh.
before you hack up any existing Neo cables, these here should work (if interested read further here).

//EDIT: for custom sticks/mods I'd suggest to go with a female DB15 socket and use an extension cord to connect to the console. It's great for storage and the cable can be replaced easily. Especially when wiring up an existing stick to also work with your Neo/Supergun it's the way to go. If there's enough space you could even use a breakout board, so switching buttons around becomes pretty easy (this could also be achieved by adding quick disconnects on the button/joystick side (.110" size for Sanwa/Seimitsu buttons, .187" for Happ buttons and most joysticks)) and you won't have to solder as much ;)

Last edited:

DPsx7

Banned
Any cable should work if Neo extensions are at all rare. DB15 seems like a common part though.

Wow, that breakout board would be a terribly convenient thing to have as I was considering that if I'm gonna go through the trouble of making a controller, maybe I should include some kind of support for PC emulation. A decoder can connect to that and save a whole lot of soldering and splicing. I'm going to have to think about this. Thanks for the links.

Hey while I'm here I wanna ask something. I'm a sucker for colored lights and was wondering if anyone knew of a good illuminated pushbutton. I've seen transparent ones that could be lit from underneath or modded to hold an LED. I've also seen others with lights built in but I've never heard about their quality before. It would need to work on 5v of course. Right now I'm only familiar with Happ since I used them on my MAME cab. I've no experience with the brands people suggest here so maybe they offer what I need.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I'm a sucker for colored lights and was wondering if anyone knew of a good illuminated pushbutton. I've seen transparent ones that could be lit from underneath or modded to hold an LED. I've also seen others with lights built in but I've never heard about their quality before. It would need to work on 5v of course. Right now I'm only familiar with Happ since I used them on my MAME cab. I've no experience with the brands people suggest here so maybe they offer what I need.

You can try these

or you decided to mod an original neo stick, I found a helpful tutorial here (scroll down to the bottom)

I'm no expert, but learning how to mod a stick at the moment. I just ordered a custom 4 button case for my neo to start off from Jasen's Custom, and will post the picture of the stick once I receive the case and wire everything up.

Last edited:

DPsx7

Banned
Those look good. I think it would be better if they each have their own LED. Trying to light up transparent buttons any other way would probably leave me with one side brighter than the other. That was my old idea to mod a stick. I would still need a second controller though which is why I changed my mind.

xsq

I'm a sucker for colored lights and was wondering if anyone knew of a good illuminated pushbutton.
Sorry, I got no info on that, I always thought that sticks with LEDs all over them look really awful. But I'd imagine paradise arcade would have about everything you could possibly want.

or you decided to mod an original neo stick, I found a helpful tutorial here (scroll down to the bottom)
Why go through all the trouble of the "princess mod" when you can simply upgrade the (less than perfect) buttons of the OG stick with 24mm seimitsus with a clear plunger?

wow that breakout board seems pretty cool
cool: yes. expensive also.

Last edited:

DPsx7

Banned
I'd avoid making it gaudy, just the buttons. It's something I wanted to do on my emulation cab but sorta put aside because I was in a rush to start playing everything. I still might not do it if I don't feel the lighted buttons are functional enough.

Enh the price isn't that bad. Thinking of the time saved making the connections it's a good deal.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Jasen's Custom Creations just posted a Neo PFS with 4 button layout here It has the option for DB15 connection for AES/MVS and PS360+ for ps3/xbox360/PC applications. That stick would look reeaaaaaaaaally good with black joysticks and black buttons:mr_t:

Last edited: