Just bought my first two games

DrScience

n00b
Well I feel somewhat accomplished as I just bought my first two MVS games, Bust-A-move and 2020 Super Baseball.

But these are just two of the many great games that are out there!

Now i have to track down the mini marquees for the two I have.

I guess I could pick up complete kits for some of these other games I plan to get when I can or should I just go the loose cart route and piece the MM when I find them, any suggestions?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
If you're just going to play them there's not need for complete kits.

War Pig

New Challenger
Congrats! It's a great feeling to get those first couple games.

Or you can make your own marquees if you can't find them when you're looking. That's what I do if I don't get them with my games. Heck of a lot cheaper!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
welcome to the fold! it's a slippery slope from here.

as far as your collecting of kits vs loose carts goes: it really is a matter of preference. I prefer loose carts (i keep mine in shocks with inserts) and i do seek out the MMs for use in my mvs machines, but some do prefer the complete kit. It really is all about the kind of collector you want to be.

DrScience

n00b
Knowing that I would eventually get into this I thought that I'd be the "Collector" that does play with the games and not just put them up on a shelf for display only, i mean otherwise whats the point, right?

But for some reason when I see pictures online of complete kits I'm like, "Ohh I soooo want that"!

Plus too its good to know, at least for me, that there is some kind of dollar/collection value to these game and as well they should be.

However there is always the downside that getting the kit also jacks up the price exponentially.

I know one route I will be going is buying shock boxes.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Knowing that I would eventually get into this I thought that I'd be the "Collector" that does play with the games and not just put them up on a shelf for display only, i mean otherwise whats the point, right?
Hear, hear! They aren't paintings, they're meant to be played. 'Course, that doesn't mean they have to look so plain in the meantime. Shocks & inserts are great in this regard.

Anselm

Camel Slug
The only people who care about a collection, with regards to insertion marks, matching serials, which lunar cycle the sticker was applied on etc., are other collectors. As far as the dollar value, the only ones willing to pay what you paid for a kit are the other collectors. Just like the only ones willing to pay what you paid for a loose cart are other gamers. Just make sure you never pay what someone tells you something is worth. Decide what it is worth to you. That way, you'll never regret the money you spend.

~Anselm~

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Well I feel somewhat accomplished as I just bought my first two MVS games, Bust-A-move and 2020 Super Baseball.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Neo... be prepared to spend a lot of money... :lolz:

If you are after Mini Marquees, then I have loads of artwork to sell... I have a 2020 Super Baseball (English) and a Puzzle Bobble (Japanese) if you are interested... :)

Let me know... :D
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?237876

Hawk

Crossed Swords Squire
Congrats man! Just started into NG about two months ago and its an awesome ride so far!

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member

and-so-it-begins1.jpg

I guess I could pick up complete kits for some of these other games I plan to get when I can or should I just go the loose cart route and piece the MM when I find them, any suggestions?

I'd recommend that you go the loose cart route + mini marquee as it will be cheaper in the long run. But don't ignore a good deal on a complete kit as it will make finding some of the rarer mini marquees much easier.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If you're going after kits only, you'll probably get frustrated pretty quick. Best bet, grab bare carts and watch for the sales of art sets and marquees here. You can pretty much piece-meal a kit for much less. I use shock boxes, have since the first run was made in red all those years ago. I don't print inserts, I simply print a spine so I can find the game on the shelf and use the marquees and art, when I have them, to fill out the front and back. MVS is really a gamers market. Some collectors have stepped in and love the kits, but really the majority of these games spent time in arcades and honestly have a bit of history to them. If you want fancy art and collectability, get into the home carts. That would be my advice.

Jed

n00b
Congrats man! I just started collecting too this summer after picking up a big red (in black :S). REMEMBER, it's always good to have a budget...kind of.

War Pig

New Challenger
^^ Ha! A budget. I seem to be struggling with that right now. So many good games.......so little money. Damn!

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
^^ Ha! A budget. I seem to be struggling with that right now. So many good games.......so little money. Damn!

I'm the same way. It doesn't help that I'm doing Neo Geo MVS and Naomi at the same time :X

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Naomi... nothings fucking cheap in that category. I've gotten to the point now where I'm only going after uncommon MVS titles, its not just the price it's also locating them!

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Bust-A-Move and Super Baseball 2020 are both addictive and lot of fun. Excellent starting choices!

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I had to do MVS, as I wanted neo Turf, Street Hoops and Baseball Stars 2, which are way cheaper on MVS. Good luck.

If you're dying for some titles, look into a mvs to aes converter... expensive but great tool.

Wynd

DrScience

n00b
Bust-A-Move and Super Baseball 2020 are both addictive and lot of fun. Excellent starting choices!

Thanks, those two are definitely in my top 10 in the Neo Geo line up.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

rcantor77, When I'm ready to order those MMs I'll PM you, Thanks.