Killed me DC maybe...

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
I recently made the inveitably voltage mistake on my Japanese DC by plugging it in with my UK lead.

I got a new power board, but ever since the GD ROM seems to be dead. It boots to the screen you get when you boot without a disk in the drive, so the whole thing wasn't killed by it or anything. It does take a long time to get there though, and it makes some very odd noises as sound output while it has the splash screen up, and not the usual boot sound at all.

The new power board is meant to be 110v or 220v, I'm using 110v, is it possible there isn't enough power for it or something, I don't want to try rashly in case I kill it again.

Any thoughts?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I did something similar a few years ago when I plugged my Sega Genesis 1 in using the power plug for my keyboard. It killed both the genesis and the power plug. I went out to funcoland and bought a Genesis 3 for $20 that day. I never used my Genesis 1 after that, except as a drum.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
I really hope it's not totally destroyed. I could swap in the power board from my euro DC I guess.

Another thing though, when you plug in a controller with a VMU the system doesn't recognise either the VMU or the controller, but the VMU makes its usual chirping noise because the batteries are flat, the VMU screen remains dead though.

It's all very odd. I'm now wondering if the odd sound with the splash screen is the boot noise but running very, very slow.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
Eh,

So I tried the higher voltage an nothing is any different.