KOF Backgrounds... what happened, SNK?

ericb

NEST Puppet
So, I got KOF95 in the mail today, and I was instantly struck by the quality of the backgrounds... I decided to check out KOF2000 to see if I was just remembering incorrectly, but sure enough, there appears to have been a huge degredation in the quality of the backgrounds in the later-years KOF... it seems almost parabolic, with the maximum being somewhere between 97 and 98.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the backgrounds have gotten better with time? What's the reason for this? Is it just laziness, or is it because the character animations/sound/program was taking too much power from the neo, so they had to shy away from the animated backgrounds (or effects, like the elevator stage in '95)... Does anyone know if it was laziness or a question of system resources?

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Well, they did go from a full staff of experts to a small staff off...well....Seamonkies?

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
It's amazing how the KOF backgrounds decreased in overall quality and creativity over the years. No doubt about it.

It's either laziness or lack of resources. Probably some of both. I guess they figured the games would sell whether or not the backgrounds were tricked out, so long as the gameplay had something decent to offer.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Hmmm...I think the backgrounds in '96 are just as good -- some of the best of the series, but I do agree that '97 was a MAJOR dip in quality.

But then in '98 there are some good ones again; I particularly like the Mid-East stage.

And it probably won't be long before someone comes in to tell you about "blah blah blah the rain stage blah blah" (probably while I'm typing this), but I wasn't crazy about '99 in general.

Some of the stages in 2000 I think are great, like the shore with the rusted ships and whatnot all around. From an artistic standpoint, great use of color and intensity to convey depth within the composition -- the exact oposite of the flat backgrounds of '97.

Then of course, by that time they lost all their staff, and the next two were programmed by Eolith. So you can hardly blame them for the shit backgrounds of '01 and '02. Even then, I do think Mexico stage in '02 (Aztec ruins) is pretty good.

But in a way, you're right: SNK was really at a creative and artistic high around '95-'96. Besides KOF '95, we also had FF3, which was freaking beautiful -- aesthetically one of my 2 or 3 top games on the Neo. We also had RBFF ('95), which was also amazing, SS3 ('95) -- amazing again, and AOF3 (beginning of '96), which is another of the very best-looking games ever produced on the Neo. And the music.......

A lot of effort went into those games.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
As usual, I agree with Southtown Kid. 97 took a dip, went back up in a major way with 98, and went downhill from there. Funny you talk about the rain stage of 99, as it's the high point of the game with not much else helping it out in my mind. Just too clunky of a game.

I will say, however, that 2k3 came back with some great BGs. Too bad the game's not so hot.

BGs never got better than AOF3 and Last Blade. WOW! Of course, the same team made those games, and it shows.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Agreed with most points in this thread. If you look at the 94 (China stage is maybe my favorite SNK background/stage music ever) and 95 backgrounds, it's astonishing to reflect on how brilliant they are in comparison with the post-SNK stuff. Like SouthtownKid, I actually like the 2000 backgrounds a lot, especially the Korean street scene. 99 does have a few amazing ones, but even these later SNK-era games seriously don't compare to 94 and 95, in my opinion. The earliest KOF games had total style. 2003 definitely has a few nice ones, but I can't stand the aesthetics of 2001 and 2002.

cam347

Crossed Swords Squire
I saw a vid of early version of the PS2/Xbox version of 03- new stage was on the back of a moving semi truck. Looked cool but didn't look SNK style.

1- rainy stage 99
2- Iori's stage in 95(anyone?)
3- Boss stage in 96(just for Geese's music)
But all of the stages in 98 were pretty good especially China and that old temple stage :glee:

ericb

NEST Puppet
SouthtownKid said:
Some of the stages in 2000 I think are great, like the shore with the rusted ships and whatnot all around. From an artistic standpoint, great use of color and intensity to convey depth within the composition -- the exact oposite of the flat backgrounds of '97.

I agree... when looked upon that way, some are very high quality in 2k.

God... I just can't wait till I have all those carts to be able to appreciate the intricacies (and cut down the shortcomings) of each, graphically and gameplay wise. I have 94 and 95 currently, and I bought 96 off of jmkurtz (eBay), so that's on the way... but I kinda screwed up the order by ordering KOF02 from the Neo Store (which, I've sent $200 for, and still haven't heard back regarding, but that's for another thread...). I can't wait to pick up 98 and be happy for the rest of my life.

I might hold off a while to get 97, though... God, this is off-topic, I'm sorry.

Anyway, yeah, I agree with everything Southtownkid wrote, especially regarding FF3, RB and AOF3... graphically, those games are remarkable. I still can't believe that AOF3 achieved the level of graphical prowess that it did in 96. When did SFIII come out? Certainly not in 96, and it's definitely comparable (especially when you consider the year of release) graphically.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
The KOF backgrounds were good up until KOF 98. After KOF 98, the backgrounds started to degrade. KOF 99 has some good backgrounds, but, KOF 2000 and up had really crappy and bland backgrounds. Probably due to the aging Neo Geo hardware, and laziness of the team that designed the backgrounds. Hopefully on the Atomiswave, the backgrounds to the future SNK games will look a whole lot better.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
To this day my favorite KOF stage was that one for the IKARI team with the crash landed Helicopter, don't remember if that was '94 or '95 anymore though.

MERCENARY X99 :smirk:

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Mercenary X99 said:
To this day my favorite KOF stage was that one for the IKARI team with the crash landed Helicopter, don't remember if that was '94 or '95 anymore though.

MERCENARY X99 :smirk:
That was KOF 94. Love that stage because of the sweet music. :D

ericb

NEST Puppet
Jedite said:
That was KOF 94. Love that stage because of the sweet music. :D

The one in 95 has a crash landed chopper too, but it's on the bridge instead of in the jungle.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
That AOF stage in KOF 96 is pretty cool. Just for that black and white intro and that red stamp that gets smashed on the sceen :buttrock:
Thats another thing that the new snk seems to have forgot. Cool intros to the stages.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
well, obviously KOF2003 was a step in the right direction (keep in mind that 2001 and 2002 were made by Eolith, not SNKP).

I think NGBC is their first attempt on Atomiswave, since Neo Wave was made by Evoga or something.

judging from the pics, NGBC's BGs are good~excellent

Diggerman said:
It's either laziness or lack of resources. Probably some of both. I guess they figured the games would sell whether or not the backgrounds were tricked out, so long as the gameplay had something decent to offer.

that's exactly how I feel toward it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Jedite said:
The KOF backgrounds were good up until KOF 98. After KOF 98, the backgrounds started to degrade. KOF 99 has some good backgrounds, but, KOF 2000 and up had really crappy and bland backgrounds. Probably due to the aging Neo Geo hardware, and laziness of the team that designed the backgrounds.
I think you're confusing 2000 with some other game. (though of course your entitled to your opinion) I think the worst background in 2000 beats just about any background in '97.

k'_127 said:
well, obviously KOF2003 was a step in the right direction (keep in mind that 2001 and 2002 were made by Eolith, not SNKP).

I think NGBC is their first attempt on Atomiswave, since Neo Wave was made by Evoga or something.

judging from the pics, NGBC's BGs are good~excellent
Yeah, NBC's backgrounds look pretty good. But there are 2 parts to making a background, the concept and design, and the execution. The execution is definitely getting better in KOF '03, and even better in NBC. But the concept and design, which really used to be SNK's strength, is still only moderate in '03 and NBC (imo).

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Yeah, NBC's backgrounds look pretty good. But there are 2 parts to making a background, the concept and design, and the execution. The execution is definitely getting better in KOF '03, and even better in NBC. But the concept and design, which really used to be SNK's strength, is still only moderate in '03 and NBC (imo).

but that also improved in NGBC over KOF2003.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The earlier KoF backs had many hand-painted objects, contrary to the scanned and retouched images of later KoFs. Stuff like KoF2k2 Holland/windmill stage is just a kick in the butt for every Neo fan, while many backs in 94-99 are hand-drawn (or at least contain lots of such elements) and transport a very special atmosphere.

On one hand, this is a consequence of a general preference for "realism" in video games, but it's also a problem of man power. When KoF2k came out, SNK was about to go bankrupt, so I guess there were less ppl in the dev team than before.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
id have to agree to some extent. The only to years i didnt like were 2k1 and 2k2 but 2k3 started regaining in quality. Understand after 2k they lost a fair share of staff HOWEVER many SNK members are under playmore its not like its all fresh talent the staff is smaller and isnt as easy to make quality. 2k3 is a nice start though same with NGBC backrounds

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I dunno, 2k2 has some great stages : the temple at night, and the korean team at night : wow, whent hat building lights up it looks superb.

'99 has some cracking stages as well, Airport , hello? the misting effect on that stage is worth seeing alone.

Underdog

Camel Slug
I always thought 2000 had really dull backgrounds, but after just playing it a bit I guess I was wrong. The desert stage is pretty bland but the rest are quite good. The factory in particular looks great.

2001 has some good backgrounds.. On the PS2 port. :emb:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I dont see what the big deal is with 98's bg's. I think 96 and 95 had the best bgs of the series.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
I dont see what the big deal is with 98's bg's. I think 96 and 95 had the best bgs of the series.

Agreed - as much as I love '98, I don't find its backgrounds particularly impressive. 94,95,96 are where the real beauty is.

zhulien

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
just wait till you see KOF 94 rebout, they stuck horrible backgrounds in that!