KOF XIII producer doesn't know what to develop.... seriously? Make KOFXIV, duh!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'd go for a third Last Blade or Last Blade Vs. Sam Sho. It's gotta be in 2D though, none of that 3D bullshit like the last game.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
May not be new thread-worthy, but:

Capcom producer Hideaki Itsuno, who previous worked on Rival Schools and Capcom vs SNK 2, said that both series will eventually return, maybe for XBLA or PSN. Itsuno said he has some plans for both series but don't know when the plans will be implemented.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

Rival Schools and CvS2 are already out on the Japanese PSN, so he was likely referring to new games, and not just ports.

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
May not be new thread-worthy, but:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm0

Rival Schools and CvS2 are already out on the Japanese PSN, so he was likely referring to new games, and not just ports.

I don't know...It'd be kinda weird to announce a new game exclusively for PSN/XBLA. Capcom has been only using those platforms for re-releases if I'm not mistaken. All disc games have been new versions.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I would be satisfied with an HD port that mixes CvS1's backgrounds and interface with CvS2's gameplay and roster.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Personally my thoughts on this are twofold, firstly they need to keep making KOF, it was huge at EVO this year and fighting games are easily the most mainstream genre that they have a leg into. If they can get some respectable net code in there and push SOME kind of community stuff it could really grow that brand. The game has a feel and style all it's own and I think it can have a very respectable place in the market, besides not everyone likes SSIV.

Secondly, they should redevelop one of their older fighting franchises into something very different from KOF, with a very different style of gameplay (so that it can get them new market share) but it shouldn't be FF or TB or MOTW.. It should be ALL of them. Take the environmental feel of the combat in the real bout series and expand on it heavily, add in the crazy accessible combo system, then place that new game in the future of MOTW and include characters from both franchises aged up. The lane system could be abandoned altogether in favor of actually 3D arenas, but the button layout could be maintained so that the tightness and speed of the movement and 2D feel of it would remain well intact, and the camera of course should be locked in a way to maintain the 2D feel as well. The characters could be shaded to match the styling of the new KOF games but they would most likely need to be 3D (don't stone me)

Then call it Fatal Fury, which has a much more recognizeable and sellable name here in the states than either of the others.

It's an established enough franchise, but it's a ballzy enough move to draw a new audience, that's the kind of thing that SNKP needs right now.

Last edited:

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Personally my thoughts on this are twofold, firstly they need to keep making KOF, it was huge at EVO this year and fighting games are easily the most mainstream genre that they have a leg into. If they can get some respectable net code in there and push SOME kind of community stuff it could really grow that brand. The game has a feel and style all it's own and I think it can have a very respectable place in the market, besides not everyone likes SSIV.

Secondly, they should redevelop one of their older fighting franchises into something very different from KOF, with a very different style of gameplay (so that it can get them new market share) but it shouldn't be FF or TB or MOTW.. It should be ALL of them. Take the environmental feel of the combat in the real bout series and expand on it heavily, add in the crazy accessible combo system, then place that new game in the future of MOTW and include characters from both franchises aged up. The lane system could be abandoned altogether in favor of actually 3D arenas, but the button layout could be maintained so that the tightness and speed of the movement and 2D feel of it would remain well intact, and the camera of course should be locked in a way to maintain the 2D feel as well. The characters could be shaded to match the styling of the new KOF games but they would most likely need to be 3D (don't stone me)

Then call it Fatal Fury, which has a much more recognizeable and sellable name here in the states than either of the others.

It's an established enough franchise, but it's a ballzy enough move to draw a new audience, that's the kind of thing that SNKP needs right now.

you do offer good insights, but everytime I think about NG games and 3D I think of Maximum Impact... and that makes my brain hurt... BAD.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
you do offer good insights, but everytime I think about NG games and 3D I think of Maximum Impact... and that makes my brain hurt... BAD.

I know! It hurts my soul just to suggest it, but outside your dedicated "D" for sidestepping it would stay on a 2D plane and have 2D hitboxes (like SFIV), I think it would be fine as long as they kept the speed and control. The budget on a fully sprite based one would just be too dang high!

zoogelio

n00b

It seems during that time (mid '00s), SNK-Playmore really tried to get with the times (3D) but their efforts weren't so successful (particularly not that 3D Metal Slug). All the money they lost developing the Hyper Neo Geo 64 (their first 3D foray), the Neo Geo Pocket & Pocket Color and the lack of sales each of those had meant they had to fall back on 2D despite it getting increasingly out of step with the times. Then the Aruze affair happened and they end up in Korea as Playmore trying to take back SNK, developing games 'underground' just to keep a revenue stream to fund their resurrection (Playmore was probably funded out of the founder's pocket initially). All these problems made them have to stick with 2D. It's how they changed from an equal to Capcom to... well, SNK. And while Capcom had 2D Mega Man, they had loads of 3D franchises, same with Nintendo (2D iterations on the GBA, 3D iterations on the console). And not diversifying from arcades/Neo Geo meant they didn't have many revenue streams to rely on when one dried up. They rose and fell with the arcade scene. Sega, Capcom, Konami all branched out into consoles and eventually waned their support of arcades as the arcades waned.

I think it's too late for SNKP to try and get back with the likes of Capcom, Konami, et al. Post-Atomiswave, they're essentially a pachislot company. The founder has retired, they've been through like 3 different presidents since he retired, one of whom decided to forego game development and milk their classics for all they're worth. KOF XIII did seem to sell exceptionally well by SNK/SNKP console port standards. What was it, 300k? That may be mediocre for most games but it's huge progress. I've seen sales figures from PS1, Dreamcast, some of PS2 and SNK ports had very weak sales, like under 100,000 weak. I think KOF XIII sold well enough to fund a KOF XIV, but there's the question over if there's the will there to make more games instead of just pachislots.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

If that's all true than it is truly unfortunate. I do think that you're right about capcom though, they've thoroughly established themselves as a console giant with a ridiculously broad stable of gaming franchises from fighters to platformers to survival horror, and of course the ever present street fighter, they can't be unseated at this point and especially not by a company like SNKP. However, I think that isn't the right way to look at the situation for SNKP, they can't be capcom, but they could be something like atlus, or even vanillaware, not in the content produced but in the business model employed. Niche, well executed and enjoyeable games that are not mainstream but still garner a dedicated cult following, heck, they clearly already HAVE the dedicated cult following! There's a persistent love of the artistry behind and the skill required by the arcade games of yore, that's why you have ambitious indie efforts like skullgirls popping up.

The thing is though, a venerable company like SNK starts showing the world they can put out new, quality work and people will start paying attention. SNK could go anywhere from here, they would just need the desire and drive to do so.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
All I'd really WANT from them (in my dreams) is a Buriki One team added to KOF XIII.
But honestly, what would sell DLC is something like Oswald or Blue Mary....the former I would strongly prefer between the two. Shit, adding Ryuji Yamazaki would be huge for them as well.

Broker Of Evil

New Challenger
A new AOF. Or a new Garou. Anything but KOF, if they don't capitalize on the hype they generated with 12, and try to branch out they will be stuck making KOF games until they crash, again.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
They can make a new NGBC

IF

They get rid of the incredibly terrible original characters yuki and ai. Drop those two sad jokes and the game regains some inkling of credibility.

I don't know what happened along the way, but someone convinced SNK that the more gay they became, the more profitable they would be.

But this was wrong. SNK has been a complete and utter failure in every way from the moment they made Bao until KoF XIII. None of the kawaii characters were good ideas. Little girl in a fight? Fuck off and die.

Seriously, I would love to buy SNK and return it to pride, instead of this pedo-shit that they are festering in now.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Seriously, I would love to buy SNK and return it to pride, instead of this pedo-shit that they are festering in now.

You and I, we share the same dream.

These days I REALLY feel like taking character illustration classes, learning Japanese, and submitting a parcel containing non-fag character designs, plots and an overall business/marketing strategy because they are so fucking out of touch with what sells over here.

I see a parallel between SNKP and Sonic Team...they cling hard to the remaining diehard fans they have, but the problem is that many of these "fans" are furfags and peds and in no way is this a large demo to focus on (thankfully).

There's no money in making games for them when they aren't about competitive play...or even games. Writing shitty fanfics and whacking off to doujins is all they do...where the fuck is the money in that?

Games for them are little more than a secondary format for jacking off.

Fucking neckbeard fangirls....fuck SNKP for listening to them.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I'd like to see another KOF or Sam. Sho.

But a MOTW2 does sound interesting.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
If they are honestly that fucking broke, why not release all their shit with graphical/audio upgrades with a few cool bonus characters/stages thrown in?

EDIT: Like earlier fatal fury games with appearances of younger versions of Grant, Gato, etc.

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
You and I, we share the same dream.

These days I REALLY feel like taking character illustration classes, learning Japanese, and submitting a parcel containing non-fag character designs, plots and an overall business/marketing strategy because they are so fucking out of touch with what sells over here.

I see a parallel between SNKP and Sonic Team...they cling hard to the remaining diehard fans they have, but the problem is that many of these "fans" are furfags and peds and in no way is this a large demo to focus on (thankfully).

There's no money in making games for them when they aren't about competitive play...or even games. Writing shitty fanfics and whacking off to doujins is all they do...where the fuck is the money in that?

Games for them are little more than a secondary format for jacking off.

Fucking neckbeard fangirls....fuck SNKP for listening to them.

I shed a tear after reading this post.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I shed a tear after reading this post.

And I smartly salute my computer screen whenever I see your av and sig.

Godspeed.

EDIT: last night I was watching an east coast KOF stream where most people hated Hwa at first, But I hyped him so hard that by the end of it stream monsters were blowing up whenever he landed his dragon back breaker (or whenever he'd wipe out an entire life bar with single combo). Bad motherfuckers FTW.

Last edited:
A new AOF. Or a new Garou. Anything but KOF, if they don't capitalize on the hype they generated with 12, and try to branch out they will be stuck making KOF games until they crash, again.

No chance.
There hasn't been a new AOF in 17 years, and MOTW came out more than 13 years ago.
The KOF series has essentially cannibalized both franchises and absorbed them into their continuity (not that KOF's canon made much sense to begin with). Since neither AOF 3 nor MOTW (or RB2) were on par with KOF 199X in terms of sales back then, it wouldn't make much sense to attempt a sequel now (especially given SNKP's current sorry state of affairs). Much as I'd like to see MOTW 2, I just don't see it happening anytime soon (if ever; a FF pachislot came out last year; there might be a pachislot game for AOF in the works, for all I know); the AOF series was very much a product of its time, and unless they somehow turned it into a more-realistic fighter (a la Buriki One), it will remain just another 90's relic.

I don't know what happened along the way, but someone convinced SNK that the more gay they became, the more profitable they would be.

But this was wrong. SNK has been a complete and utter failure in every way from the moment they made Bao until KoF XIII. None of the kawaii characters were good ideas. Little girl in a fight? Fuck off and die.

Hold on... you're saying ever since Bao's creation in 1999 that SNK has been nothing but a failure factory? Need I point out that in that time, between then and December 2000, we got MOTW, Metal Slug 3, SNK vs. Capcom: MOTM for the Neo-Geo Pocket Color and Card Fighters Clash? I think you might want to revise your assessment from "Bao" to "K9999" (just thinking about KOF '01 gives me a headache). Sure, most people wouldn't miss Bao, Hinako, May Lee or Momoko if they fell off the face of the Earth, but then again, some people (one of whom shall remain nameless) love those characters and would rather see Shingo and Kasumi drop dead (again, just a guess of someone's opinion).
In my opinion, early 2002 is when the wheels truly fell off the wagon (to say nothing of SNKP's many misguided attempts, from every Metal Slug since 4 to the "unfinished" SVC Chaos to the "also-unfinished" SSV). Sure, I could also mention that only one good game came out of the Atomiswave era (with two others classified as "debatable"), but I'm getting way off topic.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was the Hyper Neo-Geo 64, the Neo-Geo Pocket (much as I loved the system and games), and a combination of bad business decisions and the state of the arcade industry circa 1999 that did the original SNK in (and not lousy original characters in KOF '99 and 2000). Much has already been discussed about this, so I'll end this abridged history lesson here.

Seems like we won't be seeing another game for a year or two.

(SNKP's new president) Masao Ohata may want to get his house in order sooner as opposed to later. With KOF turning 20 in August of next year, his company will have to produce SOMETHING (and not just another lousy pachislot machine) if they wish to capitalize on such a potentially-marketable occasion. Otherwise, it's going to be another case of SNKP missing a golden opportunity. (Then again, KOF's 10th birthday got us Neowave and Maximum Impact, whereas their 15th birthday brought forth KOF XII- make of that what you will.)
Speaking of birthdays, Samurai Shodown hits the double-decade mark in July (given SNKP's dismal state of affairs, I'm pretty sure they won't do anything for it). The Last Blade turned 15 late last year; same deal with Art of Fighting hitting 20 as well (their gift: nothing); Fatal Fury turned 20 towards the end of 2011 (again, no presents, not even a lousy celebratory banner). At least Metal Slug got something for their 10th (2006) and 15th (2011) birthdays (that something being MS6 and MSXX; maybe birthdays really are overrated).

I think it's too late for SNKP to try and get back with the likes of Capcom, Konami, et al. Post-Atomiswave, they're essentially a pachislot company. The founder has retired, they've been through like 3 different presidents since he retired, one of whom decided to forego game development and milk their classics for all they're worth. KOF XIII did seem to sell exceptionally well by SNK/SNKP console port standards. What was it, 300k? That may be mediocre for most games but it's huge progress. I've seen sales figures from PS1, Dreamcast, some of PS2 and SNK ports had very weak sales, like under 100,000 weak. I think KOF XIII sold well enough to fund a KOF XIV, but there's the question over if there's the will there to make more games instead of just pachislots.

It's not just a matter of will, but talent as well. Now, I'm no expert on the subject, but many of SNK's more-talented programmers, designers, etc., have since moved on to other companies (like Dimps and Arc System Works) over the years. The fact that the company blog hasn't had a single entry since July of last year, coupled with the constant presence of an "employment" (read: help wanted) banner in the middle of SNKP's homepage are both troubling signs.

Sure, KOF XIII proved that SNKP has it in them for at least one more A-list game, but can they do it on a more consistent basis (like once every other year)? Moreover, are they capable of branching out into other forms of content? (Granted, KOF-i 2012 proves they can produce quality games for the iPhone, but they've been cranking out cell phone games of varying quality for the past six-seven years, many of which were misfires.) On top of that, can they produce a quality non-fighting game? (Granted, there was NeoGeo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting for the PSP, but that game was fairly mediocre.) Unless SNKP does something dramatic in the next year or so, they're going to remain being what Aruze wanted them to be over a decade ago (and no self-respecting SNK fan would want that). Worse, they could end up sharing the fate of Psikyo (IP oblivion/limbo) or Irem (nothing but pachinko and slot machines with their IPs in them; sounds kinda similar to SNKP's current state of disarray).

Maybe you should also include an offer to buy their IPs in that same package? That sort of begs the question as to how much one could get for some of SNK's lesser-known IPs (if it were possible, even though I'm sure it's not). I'd also be happy to help with plots and character designs, but my plots would mostly consist of the characters exchanging witty dialogue and not doing much else, and my character designs are just stick figures (that, and I don't know Japanese). Still, if you can pull it off, that would be awesome.

AlecRob

Banned
SNKP should make a non-fighting game, like what they did before their neo-geo days.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The only non-fighting game they've published recently I can remember is that dokimajo witch touching game on the Nintendo DS.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
The only non-fighting game they've published recently I can remember is that dokimajo witch touching game on the Nintendo DS.
Good News Everyone?!
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/sisterquest/
Sisterquest. On your phone. From Playmore...
"It's some kind of card game!" There. That's a quote for the back of the box if ever there was one.
I'll follow that up with, "What is this I don't even". 9/10 IGN! Buy now!