LCD's 120hz and motion blur

X

Y,
Well after 5 years my Sony 34" CRT HD set was showing its age and hesitating to start all the time, which could be very frustrating. I would have try for 20 minutes at a time hitting the power button on and off until I got lucky. I figured it was time for a new set.

I picked up a 40" Samsung 60hz set for about $800. I thought about getting a 120hz set for about $500 more. but I could not see a reason why to as video running at 120hz looks awkward to me (I know I can turn it off).

To make a long story short I popped in Megman X 6 from the PS2 collection (went through 1 -5 in a month) and as soon as I started playing I noticed that the backgrounds would smear when it scrolled. Now I knew that this was a trait of LCD's, however if there was a way to improve this it would be worth an extra $500 to me.

Will 120hz improve the blurring or am I pretty much out of luck until OLED's become mainstream?

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Well after 5 years my Sony 34" CRT HD set was showing its age and hesitating to start all the time, which could be very frustrating. I would have try for 20 minutes at a time hitting the power button on and off until I got lucky. I figured it was time for a new set.

I picked up a 40" Samsung 60hz set for about $800. I thought about getting a 120hz set for about $500 more. but I could not see a reason why to as video running at 120hz looks awkward to me (I know I can turn it off).

To make a long story short I popped in Megman X 6 from the PS2 collection (went through 1 -5 in a month) and as soon as I started playing I noticed that the backgrounds would smear when it scrolled. Now I knew that this was a trait of LCD's, however if there was a way to improve this it would be worth an extra $500 to me.

Will 120hz improve the blurring or am I pretty much out of luck until OLED's become mainstream?

Not sure bout lcds, but I do know that my panasonic plasma doesn;'t motion blur on 2d games. The 42" I have I got for about 900, which is comparable in price to yours, and pq will stand up to even the best lcds. I'd take back the lcd and check them out.

Matt

matrimelee

Hardened Shock Trooper
I bought a phillips, the next step down from a 120 hz 42". I catch the blur ALL THE TIME. I'm going to be putting this LCD in my bedroom, and buying a better one.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
You idiots will never be able to get rid of motion blur in video, please stop trying.

Do no buy into the sutpid ass gimmick that is 120hz video.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
its more the result of it being an interlaced signal than the refresh rate of the lcd.

i dunno how plasma handles sd content, but lcds are pretty bad at it.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
how about 240 hz? I saw Sony 52" XBR 240hz..........quite expensive but just want to know if it's worth to spend $3500

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
how about 240 hz? I saw Sony 52" XBR 240hz..........quite expensive but just want to know if it's worth to spend $3500

If I was dead set on staying with lcds (and I don't know why anyone would be. panasonic plasmas offer great pq at a good price...) I'd look at the samsung lcds. They look fantastic. But, they're kind of pricy.

Matt

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
panny plasma for sure.
the only downside is the extra power draw compared to LCD, but who really cares about that when your PQ is so deep.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
You idiots will never be able to get rid of motion blur in video, please stop trying.

Do no buy into the sutpid ass gimmick that is 120hz video.

Thank you.

My friend keeps telling me how great his new 120hz TV is, and how awesome it looked compared to a 60hz TV that he saw next to it at the store...

His TV even has a demo mode that splits the screen between 60hz and 120hz down the middle... Both sides looked practically the same, or well really just the same.

120hz is a bullshit lie.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
its more the result of it being an interlaced signal than the refresh rate of the lcd.

i dunno how plasma handles sd content, but lcds are pretty bad at it.

Both LCD and Plasma have to deal with de-interlacing and rescaling for SD content. One is not intrinsicly better than the other with these 2 operations.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Thank you.

My friend keeps telling me how great his new 120hz TV is, and how awesome it looked compared to a 60hz TV that he saw next to it at the store...

His TV even has a demo mode that splits the screen between 60hz and 120hz down the middle... Both sides looked practically the same, or well really just the same.

120hz is a bullshit lie.

No it doesn't look the same. I have 2 LCD panels just 2 feet away from each other being fed the same video input from a powered hdmi splitter. The standard LCD panel does "stutter" on just about any scene. We just don't notice because we're so used to seeing it that way. However when viewed on 2 TVs side by side its a night and day difference.

Now whether you like to see stuff all smoothed out like that is personal preference or depends on what you're watching.... Sports.. ok... movies... maybe not.

However in general I still prefer to watch pretty much anything on my plasmas vs lcd tvs.

CRTs for anything old school.

Truth. No matter how much money you spend, you still can't beat a good CRT for SD sources and overall PQ. The only reason imho it's out is cuz of size/weight limitations.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
LCDs generally have motion blur. 120Hz LCDs do get rid of the motion blur, but add at least one frame of lag due to the prediction+frame interpolation...Not so good for gaming.

120Hz only looks good for animation and live action video content anyway.

If you want no blur, you need to go CRT or DLP. However, you must keep in mind that DLP has a Rainbow effect due to the color wheel. On some DLPs it's very noticeable, on others it's virtually non-present. Below is a screenshot from MS3 on AES outputting composite video on a 1080i CRT, and a 1080p DLP that suffers from horrid rainbows.
MS3rainbow.png

So you either need a CRT, or go DLP. *if* you go DLP, be sure to bring a console to the store and demo it out to make sure the Rainbow effect isn't too bad.