Light guns!

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
Recently I picked up a couple of guncon2's for cheap and grabbed up every time crisis title I could find. This is some of the most fun I've had in a videogame in years, real arcade style exciting fun, none of that bullshit sit back in your couch time consuming moderately entertained FPS "fun".

currently playing the shit out of time crisis 2 on ps2, actually superior to the arcade version! not because the graphics are nicely improved... I don't give a shit about that... it's superior because DUAL GUN MODE! 2 guns 1 player, fucking awesome.

Anyone else still enjoying this underrated dying genre? maybe I have to go buy a wii after all... didn't realize how much I missed this.

xhiltch

Kuroko's Training Dummy
it's not easy getting my gf to play games, but when i do it's Area51 and TC on the PS1 of all things. that's ALL she'll play! lol

But damnit man, you just made me miss my House of the Dead on saturn.... :-(

I need to find TC2! hilarious! on HoD, i just play as 2 player to dual wield, how is it different on TC2?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Yeah, I still enjoy lightgun games quit a bit. I have Time Crisis Raizing Storm, Time Crisis 4 w/Guncon 3. The Guncon 3 is a piece of shit though as it has a front handle that is off set to the left and has an analog pad on top which means it is not friendly for lefties like me.

I also have a DC with HOTD2, Confidential Mission and a pair of the Sega lightguns hooked up to my Blast City using vga. More fun playing on the cab in high res than sitting on the couch.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
well since its time crisis, just playing both players is impossible(or awkward and not very fun jumping back and forth from screen to screen), so its cool they added the dual gun mode, you only have one life bar and only have to manage one action button or whatever.

shame that feature doesn't seem to be in time crisis 3 as its fun as hell. it's a whole different skill set trying to aim one handed and track 2 enemies at once at opposite ends of the screen. It's potentially pretty broken as the game is the same and you essentially have twice as many shots, but the weirdness of aiming in 2 areas at once and aiming with a hand you likely haven't used much keeps it fair for me so far.

EDIT: awesome about that cab terry, I love confidential mission. I used to be able to 1cc that one :) Hopefully I can get another DC lightgun and get back into that game. working on time crisis 2 1cc, shouldn't be too hard as I always could get about half way in the arcade days

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I didn't know TC2 had dual gun mode, I LOVE playing gun games with two guns. I actually play worse than when I have a single gun, but you can't help but love pointing both barrels at a zombie and the top half of his body simply disappearing.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I wish Namco would do a HD sequel of the Point Blank games.
The 2 player mode was so much fun. I spent a lot of money on this machine back in the day.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
One of my top 5 games of all time:

Elemental Gearbolt for PS....

so awesome with the lightgun... thanks a lot man.. now I'm pumped and have to go track it down.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I wish Namco would do a HD sequel of the Point Blank games.
The 2 player mode was so much fun. I spent a lot of money on this machine back in the day.
It's a good thing we had Point Blank 1 and 2 on Playstation so we could play them all the time. The multiplayer is great, the variety of mini-games is awesome, and I love the sense of humor and art style.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
One of my top 5 games of all time:

Elemental Gearbolt for PS....

so awesome with the lightgun... thanks a lot man.. now I'm pumped and have to go track it down.

I love that game too! almost forgot about it, I always found it weird though, is it made by the same developer as project horned owl? I used to think it played like a sequel to horned owl for sure, but its been 10 years or more since I touched the game.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Besides the Timecrisis series, here are others on PS2:
Endgame
Vampire Night
Dino somthing
Ninja Assualt

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I love that game too! almost forgot about it, I always found it weird though, is it made by the same developer as project horned owl? I used to think it played like a sequel to horned owl for sure, but its been 10 years or more since I touched the game.

It's by Alfa System, same dudes that do Castle Shikigami. No relationship between PHO and EG aside from the same developer and style of game.

Stay away from Time Crisis: Crisis Zone. The fans cried for it and Namco delivered - unfortunately the best thing about CZ is the fucking rumbling machine gun, and using the Guncon2 in its place was no substitute. And the white haze screen since it's a light gun is just terribly annoying. Great looking game, looks so much better and the attention to detail and all the shit you can blow up is awesome in that aspect, but man, just stay away.

Vampire Night is goofy fun. Deserved a sequel.
Ninja Assault is weak, but still fun. The different scenarios depending on which ninja you play as definitely added some replay value.

Time Crisis 3 is quite possibly the best light gun shooter of all time. A 30 minute arcade mode and different scenario - which is a whole game unto itself - may be even better. Can't tell you how many times I played it.

You'd think with the Wii there'd be a lot more games. But no, not really...Overkill just feels cheap, I don't care what anyone says. You look at a game like House of the Dead 4 and then look at Overkill...fuck man. I don't wanna sound weeaboo or shit but that game shoulda be done in-house, at Japan.

For such a niche genre, I feel Namco did an amazing job supporting the Guncon2 on PS2. That was great. This generation it's just incredibly sad to see the Guncon 3 fail miserably. Absolutely nothing besides Time Crisis 4 and RS on the PS3 (and that Pirates game included with RS).

I loved light gun games when I was younger. Played them nonstop. It was just such a different experience with a gun peripheral instead of a controller, made me feel like I was a hotshot ace. The Super Scope had some cool games too; Battleclash, Metal Combat, Yoshi's Safari, Tinstar, etc. It shows how much effort was put into Metal Combat, and it amazes me it was never released in Japan. They really missed out. Amazing game that still holds up today.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
currently playing the shit out of time crisis 2 on ps2, actually superior to the arcade version! not because the graphics are nicely improved... I don't give a shit about that... it's superior because DUAL GUN MODE! 2 guns 1 player, fucking awesome.

...you could just put in two quarters... Just sayin'.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
haha I actually have crisis zone and yes mostly agree, had I not been given it for free years ago I probably would have been disappointed, but because it was free it's fun and good for memorizing enemy positions if I ever were to find it in a arcade again :).

edit: sheesh I could reply to this thread every 5 minutes saying "ZOMG I LOVED THAT GAME TOO" metal combat and battle clash were a few of my favorite SNES games for real. I think the superscope was kinda a stupid idea for a lightgun, so limiting, but I loved battleclash and metal combat so it was completely worth owning that gigantic expensive thing for only 2 games that I really liked.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
well since its time crisis, just playing both players is impossible(or awkward and not very fun jumping back and forth from screen to screen), so its cool they added the dual gun mode, you only have one life bar and only have to manage one action button or whatever.

shame that feature doesn't seem to be in time crisis 3 as its fun as hell. it's a whole different skill set trying to aim one handed and track 2 enemies at once at opposite ends of the screen. It's potentially pretty broken as the game is the same and you essentially have twice as many shots, but the weirdness of aiming in 2 areas at once and aiming with a hand you likely haven't used much keeps it fair for me so far.

EDIT: awesome about that cab terry, I love confidential mission. I used to be able to 1cc that one :) Hopefully I can get another DC lightgun and get back into that game. working on time crisis 2 1cc, shouldn't be too hard as I always could get about half way in the arcade days

If your talking about the ps2 version you can link mode with two ps2/tv that what I used to do.