Looking for an album (Tom Waits maybe)

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Hi all,

know it's surely not the place to ask but anyway, someone's maybe the answer to my inquiry.

Ok, I'm looking for a recording I heard in about 1996-1999. I'm almost sure it's made by Tom Waits. I remember it because there was only one track, about 70m long. The content was some ambiant music and there was a voice which I remember, was a little song sung by a homeless man. The sound of the voice was a bit crispy IIRC.

I would REALLY thank you I you find the stuff I'm looking for because it's been almost 8/10 years and I still haven't forgotten the beautiful song.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Can you give a little more info on the ambient music you heard?

Only thing that comes to mind is "The Priest they called him" by William S. Burroughs with Kurt Cobain playing random ambient guitar in the background, but Mr. Burroughs was telling a story and Kurt Cobain died 2 years before your estimate. :(

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
The only thing I remeber is that the track started quite low and finished with an opera singer or something with many violins. Not many thing more I'm afraid, it's been a while now...:crying:

beatifik

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
B000007T2Z.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

godspeed you black emperor - f#a#(infinity)

i'm betting it's this.

Last edited:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
beatifik said:
B000007T2Z.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

godspeed you black emperor - f#a#(infinity)

i'm betting it's this.

I gave it a try and sorry but it's not. It's definitely in the same vein. Long story long, I remember the voice being a recording of the homeless man made in the 70's that Tow Waits (supposedly) reused in that song. I now remember the first words of the little song which were "Jesus's black..."

Seems like to be an impossible inquiry I must admit :crying:

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
FUCK I GOT IT!!!! I searched at random on google and found a link.

Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Ye
Gavin Bryars (Composer), Michael Riesman (Conductor), Tom Waits (Performer)
B0000040UT.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This late minimalist, 74-minute piece for orchestra and tape has had, and continues to have, a near-legendary effect on its audience. It's the rare work created specifically to tug gently at one's heartstrings that actually does, and not subtly, either. It starts with a found recording of a homeless man singing a halting, simple melody looped over and over. Then Bryars builds and buttresses this with a full orchestra brought in incrementally, from the first carefully placed short pendulum string sweep to, 10 minutes from the end, the gravelly-voiced singer Tom Waits joins in. It's an obvious but effective work--appealing to all the basics of our emotional nervous system, but still tragically beautiful. --Robin Edgerton

I'm so fucking touched to have found it. This cd really shook me back then as a teenagers. I made my day more than I could have imagined.:buttrock:

EDIT: Man, it was in 1993, time's running sooo fast...

Last edited: