Luther Vandross dead at 54

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
(CNN) -- Legendary R&B artist Luther Vandross, whose smooth, silky voice gave soul to songs about life, love and relationships, died Friday. He was 54 years old.

The popular crooner suffered a debilitating stroke in April 2003. Even so, his album "Dance With My Father," co-written with Richard Marx, sold nearly a million copies in its first month of release that June. The album won him four Grammy Awards, half his lifetime total, including song of the year.

Vandross died at JFK Medical Center in Edison, New Jersey at 1:47 p.m. ET, surrounded by family, friends and a medical support team, a statement from the hospital said.

Alluding to the stroke, "which he never fully recovered from," hospital spokesman Rob Cavanaugh said, "Throughout his illness, Luther received excellent medical care and attention from his medical team. Luther was deeply touched by all the thoughts and wishes from his fans."

Vandross' songs and emotionally charged ballads carry a signature sound. During his four-decade career, Vandross sold more than 25 million copies, each one of his 14 albums achieving either platinum or multi-platinum status.

Luther Ronzoni Vandross was born into a New York City family steeped in the traditions of gospel and soul. He began his career writing and performing jingles for television commercials. He even appeared on "Sesame Street" in October 1969.

It was after a chance meeting with David Bowie at a recording studio in 1975 that Vandross was asked to sing backup on Bowie's hit album, "Young Americans."

Later, Vandross served as Bowie's opening act.

Vandross also sang backup for Bette Midler and Barbra Streisand.

When record companies rejected him, Vandross used his own money to produce his 1981 debut album, "Never Too Much."

It went on to top the R&B charts and sold 2 million copies.

Other hit singles followed, like "Any Love" and "Here and Now."

Vandross struggled with health and image problems, claiming that he lost 100 pounds -- 13 times. He suffered from hypertension and diabetes, which killed two siblings and his father, but refused to slow down until his stroke two years ago.

CNN's Brooke Anderson and Todd Leopold contributed to the report.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/01/vandross.obit/index.html

Even though I knew he had health problems, I can't say I expected this...

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I'm.....destroyed.

I can pretty much guess i was concieved on Luther's first album. I was raised on his music all my life and I own his music myself because of it. He was always one of my favorite artists. First Rick James(i adored him) and now Luther?!? Man, all of the greats are dying off while more shitty clones are being made.

i'm just about done. If Prince or Teena Marie or any other oldschool greats die off, I'm going on a rampage. :(

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
SPINMASTER X said:
Man, all of the greats are dying off while more shitty clones are being made.

Well, I'll be damned. First, one of my music professors die this week and now Luther? Shit, who's next, Smokey Robinson, Al Green, Prince?! Lord, why must the good talent be taken away? God rest his soul now and forever. :( :oh_no:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
shit if smokey or al green go any time soon, then the world will really see my fuckin wrath.

Cranky

Dodgeball Yakuza
i'm shocked when headlines say he passed away. one of the best singers IMO. it's really sad to see him go.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
SPINMASTER X said:
shit if smokey or al green go any time soon, then the world will really see my fuckin wrath.

I with you, First Barry, then Ray, now Luther. What the fuck is going on, is this a conspiracy. Why these three and not some gansta rapper who would probably have it coming to them. Why are people like 50 cent still walking around why possitive role model to the music industry like Barry, Ray and Luther now lie in peace. :crying:

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I was raised on his music so it was really sad to see him go, what tripped me out ws I was bumping his "Never too Much" album on friday