Mac OSX (is there a way to "maximize"?)

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I'm using my girl's new macbook and she is asking me if there is a way to maximize the browser windows as it is distracting to alays be seeing the desktop in the background, not to mention the screen isn't that huge so having the window larger would be nice.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Grab the bottom right area of the window and drag it over to the bottom right corner of the screen.

There.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
it's really a debate on windows configuration.

Back in the desktop publishing days, the mac version of handling windows was preferred.

more users used M$ version , with fullscreen and taskbar, and that is what we are used to nowadays.

the debate is endless, but in the mac os, you almost can never have the window take over the whole desktop.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
i just hold alt and drag with the mouse :emb:

love xwindows

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
The idea is that a program only uses as much space as it needs, try shrinking a web site as small as it will go then hit the + button.

The window will maximize to the exact size of the page.

For some reason this infuriates windows and Linux users who don't see how absurd it is to have google take up an entire 20 inch monitor.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
BoriquaSNK said:
The idea is that a program only uses as much space as it needs, try shrinking a web site as small as it will go then hit the + button.

The window will maximize to the exact size of the page.

For some reason this infuriates windows and Linux users who don't see how absurd it is to have google take up an entire 20 inch monitor.
Must be nice to have a 20 inch monitor.

You don't find it backwards that every other OS allows you to fullscreen and OSX doesn't? And that's somehow a limitation for the rest of the world?

Rose colored glasses, my friend.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
KagerouSama said:
Must be nice to have a 20 inch monitor.

You don't find it backwards that every other OS allows you to fullscreen and OSX doesn't? And that's somehow a limitation for the rest of the world?

Rose colored glasses, my friend.

you can fullscreen.

he told you how..

it's just not the same method. It doesnt totally destroy functionality of your desktop on the mac though.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
NeoSneth said:
you can fullscreen.

he told you how..

it's just not the same method. It doesnt totally destroy functionality of your desktop on the mac though.
Meh, I'm too tired to care what I've even written.
But if I want Google to take up the whole screen, than darn-it, it'll take up the whole screen. Resources and white-space be darned!

I may even get one of those wall-sized monitors one day and set the resolution to 800x600 just to spite Boriqua!

Bwahahahahahahahaa!

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
kernow said:
lol mac

unix for stupid people

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9b1) Gecko/2007110903 Firefox/3.0b1

:crying:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
I will in a coupl of days.

The thing is, Leopard costs $700 here.

:eek:

Want me to buy it for you? I think it's only like $129 here.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Both operating systems have their pros and cons, and for each pro thats a good reason to use one or the other, theres an equally frustrating as fuck con to go with it.

No "maximize" is way down on the list in terms of issues for me with OSX.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Like so?

Max.png

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
mac browsers retain the last browser size you had when you quit. so if you maximized it then quit, the next time you open the program again it'll "automatically" be resized.

another thing to note is that some sites are scripted to resize your browser whether you like it or not. and not all of those scripts necessarily work on all browsers/platforms. probably not as bad now, but i remember doing an html presentation (which had a javascript to switch to fullscreen when you open the page) and the framesets didnt resize properly.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
but I NEED all 20 inches to survive.

I'm surprised to hear you can actually take that much...been stretching the old colon a bit have we?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
you can't exactly maximize but you can zoom in.

ctrol+w/2 fingers on the track pad move them up (like scroling) that's the closes to full screen. i'ts a feature i've been using a lot lately.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
That's kind of a clunky way to do it, but jeff is right. If you hold down ctrl and scroll up on the scroll wheel/ball/track pad you can indeed zoom in.

All in all, its more suited for people with vision problems who dont want to keep their resolution lowered all the time.