Magic:The Gathering

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Been playing for over 10 years now. My most played format would have to be standard followed by commander and limited. I have amassed large collections over the years but I usually end up selling everything. Sometimes I regret it since I sell too early before certain cards shoot up to ridiculous prices. For example, Bob's, Goyfs, duals, and fetches are all cards that were somewhat affordable at the time of original printing or even five years ago but have sky rocketed in price.

In standard I am mainly known for playing some sort of red deck wins deck. It is my bread and butter and I have become pretty good at piloting those types of decks. Most of the time I stick to FNM events since they are a bit more local and dont require me to go on a 3 hour drive to play at bigger events. Though if there were bigger events here I would love to compete in those more regularly.

When I get bored with standard, that's when I do EDH. Though recently It has grown a bit stale for me. Theres also tiny leaders that seems like it could be something fun. And I like doing drafts and sealed. Always a fun thing for me.

I'm also on MTGO, my ID is el_cucui

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The collector bug has bitten me again, been using pucatrade.com for unloading all the stuff I don't want, and trading it for beta cards. So far I have Demonic Tutor and Sol Ring in beta, and a bunch of good commons. Nothing too expensive shows up on there yet, but the site is still young. One day I hope to complete a beta set, and a full playset of all the cards I plan to use for a vintage deck. I told myself I wouldn't play vintage because of it's insane cost, but fuck it, I love those old cards.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm gonna have to check that out later. I would love to have the power 9, duals, and a few other of the beta cards but holy crap it will cost you way too much. Congrats on the tutor and sol ring. And once you have all the power 9, vintage actually seems more affordable than legacy even.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I started playing right when 5th edition came out. Went dormant after the Invasion block, then popped back up during Kamigawa. Stopped again until Tarkir. I missed some good sets while I was out.

Now, I try to get at least a full set of each new set and a few boosters as well. I've also started getting full sets of cards back from when I started. I recently picked up a full weatherlight, alliances, and prophecy sets. I don't play too much, usually just a game or two of standard at my local place each net set. Really looking forward to the final core set though.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
The collector bug has bitten me again, been using pucatrade.com for unloading all the stuff I don't want, and trading it for beta cards. So far I have Demonic Tutor and Sol Ring in beta, and a bunch of good commons. Nothing too expensive shows up on there yet, but the site is still young. One day I hope to complete a beta set, and a full playset of all the cards I plan to use for a vintage deck. I told myself I wouldn't play vintage because of it's insane cost, but fuck it, I love those old cards.

I'm trying to do the same for Revised. I'm only a few cards away from a full set, so I left my last Revised booster box sealed instead of opening it to try for the last cards I needed.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm trying to do the same for Revised. I'm only a few cards away from a full set, so I left my last Revised booster box sealed instead of opening it to try for the last cards I needed.

Oh man, I love cracking packs too much to keep a sealed box... sell it to me? :p

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member

What do you need? I have a butt-load of revised (including my complete set).

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Sell that box and just buy the last cards you need.
You will make a killing off of that.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
What do you need? I have a butt-load of revised (including my complete set).

I need to go through them and catalogue exactly what I need again. It has been years, but I'm mucking out the store room (thus my unearthing of all of the new old stock games and other stuff I'm liquidating). I always wanted to finish my Revised set though. The one card that always stuck in my mind that I was never able to acquire was a damned Royal Assassin.

My nephew is old enough that he is into MTG now, and is going to help me go through them and figure out exactly which ones I still need, to speed up the process.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter

Your sealed booster box makes my boner soar through the ceiling.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I need to go through them and catalogue exactly what I need again. It has been years, but I'm mucking out the store room (thus my unearthing of all of the new old stock games and other stuff I'm liquidating). I always wanted to finish my Revised set though. The one card that always stuck in my mind that I was never able to acquire was a damned Royal Assassin.

My nephew is old enough that he is into MTG now, and is going to help me go through them and figure out exactly which ones I still need, to speed up the process.

You'll be happy to find that all revised cards except the dual lands are dirt cheap now, royal assassin is like a $2 rare, lol

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Hey BMU, you still have that Royal Assassin I sent you some 15 years ago?

I don't play a lot of MTG anymore after discovering Hearthstone, but this thread made me want to pull out my collection and revisit some old cards. It's crazy how the fever hit me to get more cards just opening these boxes and going through seeing shit like Lake of the Dead, Underworld Dreams, Demonic Tutor, etc.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Hey BMU, you still have that Royal Assassin I sent you some 15 years ago?

I don't play a lot of MTG anymore after discovering Hearthstone, but this thread made me want to pull out my collection and revisit some old cards. It's crazy how the fever hit me to get more cards just opening these boxes and going through seeing shit like Lake of the Dead, Underworld Dreams, Demonic Tutor, etc.

Sadly no, it got swiped with some other stuff out of my vehicle ages ago. Thus why I had to resume my hunt for one.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Do not even open it. I would sell that box and pick up what you want. I was hardcore into magic during revised and you will likely get one dual land and a bunch of chaos laces. We use to go through boxes of revised after school between all the kids that played, and believe me when I say some cards are incredibly hard to find. We concluded after maybe 2 years there's a dual per box maybe, and a vesuvan doppelganger is like 1 per 8 boxes. Also some dual lands are much more common than others. For example taiga and tundra, and bayou are much easier to open than underground sea.

In all the years I played, and we got revised boxes at the local comic shop even into ice age, although they were $8.00 a pack at that point, I NEVER saw a rock of kher ridges opened. Only saw a fork opened once.

Revised was such a money sink back in the day. The chances of getting a good rare are about 1-2 per box

Last edited:

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
How would you guys figure out an asking price for this? One of the online stores is paying $1200.00 for a sealed Revised box, but their asking price if you buy from them is $1600.00 or more from what I understand. I've seen them go in the $1400.00 or 1500.00 price range on ebay. If I sold to someone on this site for instance, I figured I'd ask above the price that the online store would pay me, but go below the selling price of the online store, and probably below the price to buy one on ebay, because ebay would take a cut, and so why not discount it for a private sale if it saves me the ebay fees anyway.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Damn, I wish my finances were better right now. Why does this always happen to me when something cool comes along? :(

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
It might also be worth noting, a lot of the older sets had the good rares in specific packs in the Booster box. Not sure if revised is one, but a lot of sets you can lay the packs out in order, and kind of use a map by cracking one Booster to determine which packs have the good rares. Then the leftover packs are about $40.00 each.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It might also be worth noting, a lot of the older sets had the good rares in specific packs in the Booster box. Not sure if revised is one, but a lot of sets you can lay the packs out in order, and kind of use a map by cracking one Booster to determine which packs have the good rares. Then the leftover packs are about $40.00 each.

Mapping is not cool man, lol.

(And the individual packs are going for above $50 now :) )

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Mapping is not cool man, lol.

(And the individual packs are going for above $50 now :) )

Sorry brother. I figured it was along the same lines as emulators and jaywalking.

But my point still stands, if you crack open a whole box of Revised boosters, you will get screwed. But as a sealed box, I would consider it a retirement fund. It will do nothing but gain interest.

This thread really got me thinking about my Magic Days. I always wanted a set of Arabian Nights and Legends when I was in High School. Maybe some day I will start picking up the common and uncommon cards and working toward a set. I never play magic in public anymore, but I love some of the old art. Like Juzam Djinn, and Rock Hydra.