Manhunt 2 Banned in UK. 'Adults Only', in the US.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Posts
5,972
Their issue is Nintendo, not the retailers BTW. Ninty won't allow AO games on their consoles (or, at least they didn't with SNES/N64/GCube).

Ideally, they should release both AO and M versions of the game. Let people order it online if they want the real game, but also throw out some crap so it rakes in retail cash.
 
Last edited:

lithy

hønefuld
Joined
Dec 1, 2002
Posts
15,439
Are there any actual hard penalties yet for selling an T, M, or AO game to someone underage?

I don't think there should be, nor do I think countries should be allowed to ban media, just curious.

In a way its almost impressive that they were finally able to crack the AO barrier with (what I assume to be) only violence and gore. In the past, that rating has been reserved only for sex games.

And its coming out for the Wii :emb: all those kiddies will get a chance to play it.
 

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
Joined
Aug 22, 2001
Posts
19,316
something came up here that scared me. "Parents are worried abou interactive violence on the Wii" Could Nintendos "family console" end up being the new wagon for outrageous parents to use in attacks against violent games?
 

lithy

hønefuld
Joined
Dec 1, 2002
Posts
15,439
OrochiEddie said:
something came up here that scared me. "Parents are worried abou interactive violence on the Wii" Could Nintendos "family console" end up being the new wagon for outrageous parents to use in attacks against violent games?

LITTLE JIMMY STABBED LITTLE TIMMY WITH A KNIFE BECAUSE HE PRACTICED WITH HIS WII REMOTE!!!!!!!!!!!

God I hope so :p. Everyone knows it would only mean good news for Nintendo sales.
 

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
Joined
May 17, 2002
Posts
21,322
lithy said:
Are there any actual hard penalties yet for selling an T, M, or AO game to someone underage?

I don't think there should be, nor do I think countries should be allowed to ban media, just curious.

In a way its almost impressive that they were finally able to crack the AO barrier with (what I assume to be) only violence and gore. In the past, that rating has been reserved only for sex games.

And its coming out for the Wii :emb: all those kiddies will get a chance to play it.

The only place that has real penalties for selling M rated games to underage kids is NY which makes it a fucking felony to do so.

This whole issue is stupid. And they should just release it unrated and go with online sales directly. Advertise the shit out of it and get word of mouth going. Bam, million seller. Indie movies do it all the time.
 

terry.330

Manly Tears
Joined
May 4, 2004
Posts
8,040
Nesagwa said:
This whole issue is stupid. And they should just release it unrated and go with online sales directly. Advertise the shit out of it and get word of mouth going.

Not a bad idea.

Hell I'm still suprised they actually made a sequal in the first place.
 

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Posts
32,610
Nesagwa said:
The only place that has real penalties for selling M rated games to underage kids is NY which makes it a fucking felony to do so.

This whole issue is stupid. And they should just release it unrated and go with online sales directly. Advertise the shit out of it and get word of mouth going. Bam, million seller. Indie movies do it all the time.

That really doesn't work with crap games like this....

Games like this sell to the idiot in the gamestore crowd.
 

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
Joined
Apr 16, 2003
Posts
4,945
I am calling this a PR stunt on Rockstar and Take-Two. Just trying to drum up some hype. Submitted a hyper-violent version of the game to the ESRB, get people excited, make the game M, and everyone goes running to play the formerly "AO" game. I would bet that 6 months to a year later, they release a "Director's Cut" with the AO rating and just sell it through their website.
 

LoneSage

A Broken Man
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Posts
40,426
Manhunt reminds me of Drawn Together, shock value just for the sake of it without any substance. Pushing the envelope 'just because'.

Honestly I think it's cool that the ESRB is stepping up and actually giving a game like this an AO rating.

Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood sounds like a weirdass group tho.
 

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
4,705
I'd be outraged if the game has any substance, but I actually kind of agree with them...it's just a murder simulator.

It's not like this is GTA where there's redeeming value...
 

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
Joined
May 25, 2006
Posts
2,106
I'm starting to think I'm the only person in the world who enjoyed the original. :mad_2:
 

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Joined
Apr 17, 2001
Posts
1,649
Big Shady said:
I am calling this a PR stunt on Rockstar and Take-Two. Just trying to drum up some hype. Submitted a hyper-violent version of the game to the ESRB, get people excited, make the game M, and everyone goes running to play the formerly "AO" game. I would bet that 6 months to a year later, they release a "Director's Cut" with the AO rating and just sell it through their website.

I don't know if it is a PR stunt, but I do think that Rockstar will water down the game to an M rating and then release the AO version on line only. This is what Vivendi did with Leisure Suit Larry Magna Cum Laude.
 

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
Joined
May 9, 2003
Posts
4,705
Eldios said:
You can't possibly be serious.......

I don't understand why what I said is so crazy, there's a narrative to GTA...it's like playing a mob movie.

Manhunt is completely pointless, you just go around killing people, there isn't even a score system...there's no skill involved either.

Who cares if they gave it an AO rating over here, if the Brits want to ban it, I disagree, but I can't say I blame them...it's pornography.
 

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Joined
Mar 26, 2001
Posts
1,771
If only there was still a system around that would allow games to be released on it, rated or not.


manhuntsnkwd2.jpg
 

GregN

NO MEAT NO MAN
Joined
Dec 16, 2000
Posts
17,453
SpamYouToDeath said:
Their issue is Nintendo, not the retailers BTW. Ninty won't allow AO games on their consoles (or, at least they didn't with SNES/N64/GCube).

Ideally, they should release both AO and M versions of the game. Let people order it online if they want the real game, but also throw out some crap so it rakes in retail cash.

Reinforces the stigma that Nintendo systems are kid systems.
 

Real Bout Maniac

Corporal Dick,
Joined
Sep 17, 2001
Posts
885
Neo Rasa said:
If only there was still a system around that would allow games to be released on it, rated or not.

Yeah, cause it's not like SNK ever censored the games on the Neo... :rolleyes:
 
Top