Mario Games

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
you didn't like mario 64?. i guess there's a first for everything. honestly, never heard of some one who doesn't like mario 64. but i would like to know what you don't like it.

Yeah...I fucking hate it, but that's no shocker.

Fighting the camera and the majority of the challenge being "don't fall of the board" got old. I played it all the way through...but it was never my bag.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
And yet sadly it still has the best camera and control of that style of console game which is embarrassing. I liked Mario64, but not as much as the 2D for your very reasons. I like to play, not fight camera and control issues.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
And yet sadly it still has the best camera and control of that style of console game which is embarrassing. I liked Mario64, but not as much as the 2D for your very reasons. I like to play, not fight camera and control issues.

The whole 2D--->3D thing just wasn't often my bag. I've got to the point where I won't hammer someone else for liking it, it's just that I often don't.

Some games were made to be 3D, some were 2D that only shined when they made the jump to 3D. On the other hand, some 2D franchises suck a fat one when switched over. I like 2D Mario gameplay, always have. I do not like 3D Mario gameplay.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Makes sense, a lot of the classics did not convert well. Mega Man didn't, Castlevania mostly didn't, Zelda yes/no depending who you ask, Turtles, Ninja Gaiden, and so on. It's a big mixed bag, but a lot just aren't as good as they lose that really tight control and response needed as you turn to having to combat a loopy camera and a 3D space which does detract from the experience.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Makes sense, a lot of the classics did not convert well. Mega Man didn't, Castlevania mostly didn't, Zelda yes/no depending who you ask, Turtles, Ninja Gaiden, and so on. It's a big mixed bag, but a lot just aren't as good as they lose that really tight control and response needed as you turn to having to combat a loopy camera and a 3D space which does detract from the experience.

Metal Gear was one of those games that came alive when it was converted to 3D.

Many other games were converted simply for the sake of it being the "new" thing at the time.

Now, we have many companies getting wise to this and either splitting lines into 2D/3D branches (like they now do with Mario) and even making new "hybrid" titles that have the best of both (again, Mario comes to mind).

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
Fighting the camera and the majority of the challenge being "don't fall of the board" got old. I played it all the way through...but it was never my bag.
This one is me too. Mario Galaxy is alright and 3D World is alright, but man. Mario 64. Falling to my death and fighting the camera.

It might have just been a bad step for me. SMW is my "you get one game and that's it" title. I'd gladly play the thing until I killed over. Mario 64 couldn't possibly live up to that hype.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the camera never bothered me to the extent of ruining the whole game for me. yeah it was annoying, but the game was soo good that it over shadowed all the games flaws imo.

Galaxy 2 is amazing.

i'm playing that right now, actually. galaxy games, i would go far as saying that they are best 3d platformers of all time.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Metal Gear was one of those games that came alive when it was converted to 3D.

Many other games were converted simply for the sake of it being the "new" thing at the time.

Now, we have many companies getting wise to this and either splitting lines into 2D/3D branches (like they now do with Mario) and even making new "hybrid" titles that have the best of both (again, Mario comes to mind).

Totally agree with all that and then some. A few companies were smart to knowing they sucked at doing such things earlier than later, and some even did it right more or less. Konami this hot mess of right and wrong in this aspect. Castlevania 64 and much else was pretty awful, but the non-shoved out beta true finished game Legacy of Darkness was great but still had the classic 3D issues of the camera/control just a little (not broken with dead by touch of a wall shit or spin and fall from a ledge 64 had.) The one they did right and justice to both ways was Goemon. The 1st was Ocarina style before Ocarina existed and hell it did it better than Zelda too which is an accomplishment, and then their follow up was a 2.5D style game that had depth and the map would curl as you go or branch but the play was strictly flat 16bit and before style which made it awesome a mix of precision and depth. I'm glad more are catching onto it though it took a decade or two to do it at least, but it's a shame the stuff mostly gets relegated to DRM covered download stuff or indie etc releases through GoG which is a damn shame.