Marvel vs. Capcom 2 naomi freeze issue

Hi there,

Bought an MvsC2 cart last week and, while all seemed to be good at first, this past few days it's been freezing after a few minutes play.

It's an Export version of the game which I'm playing on an Astro City cab using the Capcom I/O.

I've given the contacts a blitz with some contact cleaner (they were pretty filthy) but the problem is persisting.

Ran a ROM board check and all seems good except for IC16, which is showing '----' (see pic). Is that normal?

Any ideas? REALLY don't want the hassle of trying to send it back and really want the game to work :(

Only other thing to note is that the 'experience' points counter doesn't seem to go up, but I don't know whether that is because I'm not completing the game each time?

ic16.JPG

Last edited:

WilalvesBR

NEST Puppet
Check your voltages.

Set your multimeter to measure DC voltages and at the Naomi mobo stick the black and red probes in the power connector as shown below:

dsc03968w.jpg

Black probe at white wire, red probe at yellow wire (put them in far enough so they touch the metal parts where the wires meet the connector pins).

dsc03969w.jpg

It should read about 5.1 volts

JazzyNYC

Kabuki Klasher
Also check and make sure it's not overheating. I have a copy of the game that will freeze up after being in the cab for a while but would work great being in open air.

Thanks so much for the tips. I'm gonna pick up a multimeter tomorrow to check voltage.

If this is too low can I adjust that on the Capcom I/O, or only by tweaking the pot on my Astro's power supply?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Freezing usually occurs from overheating or bad ram. Make sure it's not running hot, that's a common problem. Make sure it's not on carpet, it needs a solid base under it (this is of course if you are playing on a supergun).

Is there any way to test for bad RAM?

Don't think it's a heating problem as I've had the Naomi out of the cab on a wooden board and the problem still occurs. Fingers crossed it's voltage.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
RAM test should be in the test menu. As for voltage 5.05-5.10v is fine. If it's below 5v of course you want to adjust it a little.

It was totally the +5. Was only sending about 4.6V.

All working fine now.

Thanks so much.

RELIEF.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Awesome, make sure you don't go over 5.1v.