Master List Update - I need your Help and Suggestions

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Hey guys,

The time has finally come.
I haven't updated the Master List at this site since 2004. SNK Playmore was still making Neo Geo games that year!

So much has changed since that time. Our knowledge of the Neo and its games has grown. The homebrew scene has exploded with many very important and significant titles. The new list needs to recognize these developments.

It's time for a complete overhaul and revamp. Over the years I have been doing a ton of work and research on the back end and a lot of that stuff will be going into the new, revised list. But, I don't have all the information I would like to put into the new list. So, I would like this thread to be a discussion (and if necessary friendly debate) about some of the more "obscure" questions I have.

Let me get the controversial stuff out of the way now. Aero Fighters 3 and Power Spikes 2 will be listed as "DavidG" games, NOT official SNK games, unless the day comes when they are proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be legitimate. KOF 2000 US was licensed by SNK to NGF and will be reflected as such. Please don't let this thread turn into another debate about those items.

First things first:
1. FORMAT
Yeah, the list kinda looks crappy as a big spreadsheet like it is now. I was thinking of going to a more database like format as such would allow for a greater degree of detail. Maybe even a search function? I am not tech savvy in the slightest with HTML but perhaps some of you can offer some suggestions on how to easily set up such a system at the site. I really like the nintendoage.com database, extremely detailed but easy to find what you are looking for. What additional data do you guys think should be included in the list that isn't there now? Let me tell you some of the things I definitely want:

1. Very clear euro/dogtag/first gen/carton box insert variations etc (basically ALL legit SNK cart variations)

2. English and Japanese Neo CD lists

3. English / Japanese / Euro MVS lists (for example, SSVS is Jpn only on MVS)

4. Should I integrate game reviews somehow into the list? What about game rarity? I can tell you now I don't want to get into specific values but rarity might be a good idea.

2. GAME QUESTIONS

Ok, here is where I can use the most help. I do want to recognize all of the major homebrew and even conversion developers and releases, and I just don't have a good enough knowledge of who has released what when. Please help me fill in the blanks! Here are some of the types of groups I'm talking about:

Vektorlogic
!Arcade!
NG:dev Team
NeoBitz
NCI
DavidG
OlderGames (frog feast CD?)

Some of these are easier than others... but for stuff like !Arcade!... release dates, # produced, and info like that would be ideal.

I also need help with ENGLISH NEO CD.
This is an area of this hobby that is woefully under appreciated and finding factual knowledge on some of these items has been impossible. There are certain English titles (case insert and manual) that I don't think have English spine cards , and even use Japanese CDs, like the following games:

Blue's Journey
Crossed Swords
Ninja Combat
Magician Lord
Rally Chase
World Heroes 2 Jet

Can anyone confirm spine cards and/or English CDs for these games?
Ninja Commando English definitely has a spine card... but what about an English CD for that one?
And what about the much discussed but ever elusive NINJA MASTERS English CD... I personally don't believe it exists... can someone prove me wrong?

Let me conclude by thanking everyone for your input. I am open and receptive to all suggestions. You all can also tell me what mistakes/errors are there on the existing list so I can address those. Hopefully some of you will enjoy the new list!
Thanks,
John

Last edited:

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I love the idea of a database complete with pictures and definitely with a search function. Like if I type
Mutation Nation for example, I get every piece of info for all versions (maybe even ports like PSN, VC, compilations). One thing, and I think you cover it, I really would like to keep official 1990-2004 titles totally seperate from the other stuff. I know people care about protos, homebrews, pro-conversions etc but personally, I don't recognize that crap at all and should be seperate from the real deal stuff.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
thanks for taking the time. there are several homebrew titles scattered around the net..

I think if there were a section for working homebrew, great or not, the writers of those games would get more exposure and motivation and keep developing and attracting others to their projects.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
One thing, and I think you cover it, I really would like to keep official 1990-2004 titles totally seperate from the other stuff. I know people care about protos, homebrews, pro-conversions etc but personally, I don't recognize that crap at all and should be seperate from the real deal stuff.

Yes, absolutely.

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
I think an update of the price guides would be very useful as well.

Also some watermarked hi res photos of proven legit games would be nice too for comparison purposes...

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Master List Updates

I agree with implementing a rarity guide into the list, however it needs to be in the same style as Atari, Coleco, Sega, Nintendo, etc. In other words, no prices whatsoever. Just the simple standard of:

C = Common
U = Uncommon
R = Rare
ER = Extremely Rare
UR = Unbelievably Rare

Also, while I have always agreed and stated that hacks, homebrews, and protos, do not COMPLETE a collection, rather they merely ENHANCE or ADD to them, and as such for a collector to have a "complete" collection, they are not required, I however disagree with lumping the confirmed protos (those with visually verified sequential product code numbers) into the same batch as hacks, homebrews, & other oddities.

Like it or not, if you want a complete & accurate "list", we are looking at 172 entries: 148 MVS, 8 CD, & 16 N/A Otherwise, then we need to get into the semantics of the differences between lists & catalogs.

Oh and one last thing, and this is KEY.

Regardless of what suggestions are implemented or which changes are made, etc. We need to agree and accept a single STANDARD by which ALL of the entries MUST meet or exceed which will be applied to not only the entries themselves, but to ALL of the individual details for each entry as well.

In other words, and as an example, if we say Ninja Combat is an official USA CD entry, and we have authentic pictures to prove it, not just hearsay, then the SAME standard must be applied to Ninja Masters as well. (no picture for proof? well then no entry!) TOO BAD!

Last edited:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
John, if you need any help setting up then please don't hesitate to ask.

The new list defintiely needs to include all games that are available on the system, but seperated from officially licenced ones.

As Billy mentions, it would be great to have pictures of all the regional versions of the games linked from the Master List and and not just US... something I am trying to achieve on NeoGeoSoft.

Also, the Price Guide should remain seperate, and personally I would leave the rarity included as part of that and not part of the Mater List.