Meta-games

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I'm currently addicted to CFC (like many before me), despite never having played a card collection game in my life. Yes, the battles and strategy are the main reason the game is fun, but a big part of the enjoyment comes from seeing which random character pops up next and catching the in-jokes and SNK/Capcom references.

Which leads to the topic: meta-games. Games about games. As has been seen with WarioWare, the crossover fighters, NGBC and CFE, CFC, and Namco x Capcom, these games, when done well, are fun and mad popular.

It's weird though. When you think about it, some of the concepts are pretty bizarre. Klonoa and KOS-MOS have fucking zero in common thematically or gameplay-wise, but put them next to each other in a strategy-rpg setting and suddenly people go nuts. Or like in CFE: A mummy fighting a dinosaur on a Tokyo street corner? Makes sense to me.

But despite the lack of cohesion or sensible storyline, these types of games work. I wonder why?

Any thoughts/comments much appreciated.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Getting philosophical are we? I think I can dig on the 2nd order thinking a bit more since it has been a newer branch of creativity in newer games.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I got a D in Philosophy 100. :(

I'm just interested in how people feel about these types of games. It's not like this is a new phenomenon. Other forms of media latched on to the self-referential (and -reverential, but that's a whole different discussion) a long time ago: "Hey, let's have Wolverine kill Jughead in the next issue of Archie: Mutant Invasion," or "Hey, let's make a sitcom about a guy making a sitcom about sitcoms."

I also bet there are examples of early videogames with references to themselves, their makers, or other games; i just can't think of any at the moment.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
sooooo...

*cough*

ummmmm...

*tumbleweeds roll by*

anyone ever played Segagaga?