Metal Slug 4 (Compatibility?) issue

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
So I recently acquired Metal Slug 4 (insert argument about the game's quality) but the real problem is... I can't get it to work.

In my MVS-U4-25, the 4-slot board doesn't see that slot as being occupied at all.

I also tried it in a CMVS I got a while back - an MV-1C. No luck there - I just get the test pattern. (I thought no cart on a 1C would be Z80 error?)

Both systems have unibios (2.3 iirc in the CMVS, 3.1 in the Cab) if that could in any way be relevant.

I cleaned the contacts with 99% isopropyl, and still no dice.

Seller suggested there might be compatibility issues with it being a late-era game. I haven't seen that previously myself, and http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?228103-Incompatibility-issues-with-MVS had conflicting information (including talking original MV1s)

Obviously both these slots work fine with other games (KOF98, Puzzle Bobble, etc).

Anyone have any suggestions of what else to try? Thanks.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I have never heard anything like that before. Would be interesting to know if something like this is true.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
If you'd like, I can bring my MS4 to whenever our next meet is for you to test.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's an older 4 slot, move it to the last slot. Also make sure the cart is seated properly. MS4 is known to have wider than normal boards that sometimes need to be shaved.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
I have never heard anything like that before. Would be interesting to know if something like this is true.

Same here, other than I'll update if I find out any more. I have access to some other boards as well, though MV1Cs aren't exactly old (Well, in Neo terms) as far as I know.

If you'd like, I can bring my MS4 to whenever our next meet is for you to test.

Thanks for the offer! Hopefully it won't come to that. Speaking of, we need to have another local meetup in the bay area sometime...

If it's an older 4 slot, move it to the last slot. Also make sure the cart is seated properly. MS4 is known to have wider than normal boards that sometimes need to be shaved.

Thanks Xian. I'll try an additional slot on the 4-slot. I figured trying the MV1C would be enough, but I'll spend a bit more time with it. As far as the board, yeah , I noticed it's got a bit more friction in that regard in that all the other carts I own. (I own plenty more than KOF98 and Puzzle Bobble, those were just the ones that it replaced in testing)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks Xian. I'll try an additional slot on the 4-slot. I figured trying the MV1C would be enough, but I'll spend a bit more time with it. As far as the board, yeah , I noticed it's got a bit more friction in that regard in that all the other carts I own. (I own plenty more than KOF98 and Puzzle Bobble, those were just the ones that it replaced in testing)

Take it out of the shell and place the board into the slot and you can tell if it's too wide. When it's too wide it won't be making good contact. you will need to shave about 1mm off each side.