Microswitch Question

ericb

NEST Puppet
Ok, well, I got some controls in the mail today from Yaton (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6148194537 ) and as you can see in the picture, the microswitches are at the bottom of the picture. The strange thing about those switches, however, is that they don't have a terminal that is labelled as being NO, but instead, it has 2 NC terminals (and the ground, of course). There is a small diagram, however, and I tried to put in ASCII art, but it just didn't work, so I'll try and explain it.

It has the the ground terminal labelled COM (1) at the bottom, with a line going up to a line beside the NC (2) terminal up above. Right below that terminal, there is a NC (3) terminal with a small line NOT attached to the COM(1).

Now, I would assume that NC(3) is the normally open terminal, as it shows its line being separate from the common ground, but it's strange, because, is this diagram showing a normal situation? Or one where the switch is pressed?

If anyone could give me an idea of what's going on here, I would appreciate it. At this point, I would think that NC(3) is the NO terminal, but I want to be 100% sure. Thanks again.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Hi, i would assume that its the normal situation before the button/switch is pressed...if in doubt use a multimeter to determine open & closed circuit.
By the way... nice bit of kit there for naff all money! :)

ericb

NEST Puppet
NEO GOLD said:
Hi, i would assume that its the normal situation before the button/switch is pressed...if in doubt use a multimeter to determine open & closed circuit.
By the way... nice bit of kit there for naff all money! :)

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I just checked it using a multimeter for resistance and indeed, it was what I thought it was.

Yeah, it wasn't too bad of a deal, and the joysticks aren't too bad, but I'm used the box style motion limitation of the New style neo stick, which this one is not... the sides are curved, so it's going to be a little strange to get used to. The buttons are concave as well, but it all can be replaced with time. Chances are these controls will be temporary (except for the 1p/2p controls).

Thanks and cheers.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
A multimeter is the only way to confirm if your not sure.
I have seen 3 pin switches where two are common, like in microwave oven door interlock safety switches.