Midway Arcade Treasures 3 out today

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Just picked up a copy from Gamestop, so I haven't had a chance to play it yet. But I'm really looking forward to some of the games, like Hydro Thunder, SF Rush 2049 and The Rock, and a few others. Too bad they didn't put Off Road Challenge on this compilation, it was one of my favorite racers in the arcade back in the day!

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I honestly had a dream about this game last night.

I want Rush 2049 and Hydro Thunder badly.

BADLY. Almost enough to buy some racing wheels and shit.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
It arrived at Gamestop today? Sounds fantastic as that's one heck of a collection. That and the Capcom look like the best ones, so far.

And yes, Rush 2049 kicks the royal booty. It always did. I wonder if it's still possible to actually catch enough air to have a head on collision with the (Blue Angels-like) Stunt planes? I was able to do that in the Dreamcast version. The wings were one of the coolest ideas for a futuristic racer.

Last edited:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
It arrived at Gamestop today? Sounds fantastic as that's one heck of a collection. That and the Capcom look like the best ones, so far.

And yes, Rush 2049 kicks the royal booty. It always did. I wonder if it's still possible to actually catch enough air to have a head on collision with the (Blue Angels-like) Stunt planes? I was able to do that in the Dreamcast version. The wings were one of the coolest ideas for a futuristic racer.

I think Rush and Hydro thunder are just ports of the DC versions.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Nesagwa said:
I think Rush and Hydro thunder are just ports of the DC versions.

I'm not sure if they made any little tweaks for the conversion. Whenever tweaks are made, even little ones, they affect the extremities of a game. Hitting those planes (a rare occurance) is something I'd consider hitting those extremities.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Eight classic arcade racing games including:

* Badlands

* Hydro Thunder

* Off Road Thunder: Mud, Sweat ‘N Gears

* Race Drivin'

* San Francisco Rush The Rock: Alcatraz Edition

* San Francisco Rush 2049

* S.T.U.N. Runner

* Super Off Road & Bonus Tracks Pack

------------------------

The only San Fran Rush I loved was the first one on N64. And holy shit, when I say loved, I mean LOVED. I remember being hooked on that game for months and months at a time, finding all the secrets and crashing everywhere. The only other game on there I liked was Hydro Thunder, that game still rocks ass today.

So yeah, ever since this collection was announced, I've been hard-pressed to get excited about some shitty looking 90s racers that even when I played at the arcades, it was really hard for me to like them.

I've heard good things about STUN Runner, though.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Actually, I did rather enjoy Rush2049.
If it is the DC port, that rocks, because I loved the cheapo Twisted Metal VS mode.
Where's BloodWake 2:Pissin' Pants?

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
I don't even wanna say how much money I pumped into 2049 while it was at the arcade... Probably because it was into the $500 range...

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
We <3 Katamari Racing Level > Midway Racing Treasures 3

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
The arcade version of Hydro Thunder was awesome! Never played the DC one.

CharlotteBMM

Crazed MVS Addict
MAT3 Sucks

I don't know. I really am not liking MAT3 right now.

I bought it for Hydro Thunder and I think it looks like crap. Why did they make it so we're racing on a sheet of ice? I could have sworn the DC version had realistic water surface effects. ...as if you were actually racing atop the water.

Anyone have a DC copy of the game that can confirm this? :conf:

The rest of the games look like unfinished versions of the original. Was this collection rushed? I want perfect ports! :oh_no:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Well, I have my DC and my Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049 readily available to contrast and compare. Bear in mind, Hydro Thunder was long before most companies were making good-looking realistic water(Nintendo's Wave race still held the crown for great-looking water, and even that now looks dated, with all these new shaders we have). People could do cool looking storms (like in certain parts of Hydro Thunder), but these days we're very spoiled for good water effects. Remember, Hydro Thunder was originally done on old 3Dfx hardware. Almost anything running 3Dfx typically had non-impressive water, or flat water effects, in total. I don't remember the DC version actually improving the graphics, in that regard (water effects). What the DC version did, was more or less, look like the arcade while keeping a good framerate. (I don't remember Midway going out of their way to improve the graphics, just make them perform well on new hardware)

Still, if it comes in tonight, I'll compare and see, but I do expect the water effects to be, *bleh* for today's look. What made the game was mainly the bouncy, air-taking, turbo-induced fun, but the water effects, outside the undulating of the boat, were far from realistic.

Last edited:

CharlotteBMM

Crazed MVS Addict
Kirk Foiden said:
Well, I have my DC and my Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049 readily available to contrast and compare. Bear in mind, Hydro Thunder was long before most companies were making good-looking realistic water(Nintendo's Wave race still held the crown for great-looking water, and even that now looks dated, with all these new shaders we have). People could do cool looking storms (like in certain parts of Hydro Thunder), but these days we're very spoiled for good water effects. Remember, Hydro Thunder was originally done on old 3Dfx hardware. Almost anything running 3Dfx typically had non-impressive water, or flat water effects, in total. I don't remember the DC version actually improving the graphics, in that regard (water effects). What the DC version did, was more or less, look like the arcade while keeping a good framerate. (I don't remember Midway going out of their way to improve the graphics, just make them perform well on new hardware)

Still, if it comes in tonight, I'll compare and see, but I do expect the water effects to be, *bleh* for today's look. What made the game was mainly the bouncy, air-taking, turbo-induced fun, but the water effects, outside the undulating of the boat, were far from realistic.

Yeah, you're more than likely right about the DC version. It's been so long since I've played that particular one, I think I may have forgotten how it truly looked. I just remember that I loved the game and the graphics were very "clean," which is what you eluded to with the good framerate comment. I'm going to have to pick up a copy of the DC version so I can compare as well.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
One word... S.T.U.N Runner that's the only reason i'll pick up vol 3.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Man, what a collection. I couldn't believe all the good games on this disc. Plus the fact that I found an old arcade game I remember playing a ton, but didn't remember the name. Good old S.T.U.N. Runner. Good stuff. Tis and Capcom Classic Collection have made my week.

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
This is truly an awesome collection. It kind of pisses me off a little as it may steal some thunder from these games that still make decent earnings in the cades themselves. (2049 isnt that old at all, and Hydro Thunder still rakes it in)
All in all though, great games to be enjoyed. I still say rush 2049 is up there among best, most enjoyable racing games ever.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
I have played a couple hours of MAT 3 and I have liked most of the games I have played. I think I like Badlands the best. As for Hydro Thunder, I think it is pretty good. It seems similar to what I remember the DC version being like.

I also have played a lot of Capcom Classics Collection and that is very good as well.

That being said, I think that Tecmo Arcade Classics is my favorite of the three.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
For me this is worth it for STUN Runner,Rush the Rock and Rush 2049 alone. I did have fun playing Hydro Thunder though. Off-Road hasnt aged well lol.(Plus Ivan isnt there anymore :( )

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
CharlotteBMM said:
Yeah, you're more than likely right about the DC version. It's been so long since I've played that particular one, I think I may have forgotten how it truly looked. I just remember that I loved the game and the graphics were very "clean," which is what you eluded to with the good framerate comment. I'm going to have to pick up a copy of the DC version so I can compare as well.

Well, I was able to compare and contrast, last night. The Xbox version is quite spot on with the Dreamcast version. Even better yet, the Xbox version runs the game at least as well as the Dreamcast did. No extra slowdown, at all, induced by the port. Even certain visible glitches you see (with certain camera angles), when taking distinct shortcuts made it through. (Nothing game breaking, but little parts where the camera position reveals outside of a tunnel due to clipping, or clipping below a surface, on specific extremes of the game, where the camera is positioned to do so.) They mapped the switching of cameras to the Y button, and every other button behaves precisely like the Dreamcast, so much, it almost feels in your hands you're playing on a Dreamcast. Holding the controller, and not looking at it, you could almost mistake it for playing on a Dreamcast.

One funny thing is that the Dreamcast version of Hydro Thunder had a noticible load time when going between selecting a track to selecting a vehicle and such, and quite sparse when it came to sounds played during the menu. Oddly enough, the Xbox version behaves precisely like that, with those noticible load pauses between menus. For some reason, I was thinking that aspect would've been eliminated, in the port. However, it remains more-or-less like it always had been.

Fortunately, none of the bugs from the first Dreamcast revision were in this one, so it's based on the Fixed Dreamcast release with that Green "New" sticker on the box. (I remember trading in one version for the other).
However, the water is just how I remembered it. It kind of undulated like it was alive in itself, and the boats bounce around ok, but handle way too well for real boats. The jump button combo works just as well. Even the pseudo-reflection mapping, in the water, comes through.

If there's one thing I would like to try is to put my Xbox through the Hi-def. My Dreamcast typically runs on the VGA box, and I like that look. (I should get that $60 box that converts Hi Def signals to VGA displays)

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Tron 2.0 said:
One word... S.T.U.N Runner that's the only reason i'll pick up vol 3.

Unfortunately S.T.U.N. Runner has probably aged among the worst of all the games in this compilation. The flat-shaded simple polygons are really bad . . . but fortunately there are other games in this compilation that make up for this.

I still think Midway should have put Off Road Challenge into the set, one of my favorite arcade racing games. Here's the KLOV link:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=O&game_id=8909

Only port of that game has been to the N64, which obviously couldn't do an arcade perfect version, but they censored out the parts where you hit animals on the road (like bears and stuff that would cross in front of your car).

And the other games that REALLY need arcade-perfect recreations are the Cruis'n series . . . I'd buy a Midway compilation with all three of these on it alone! I read somewhere that there may be licensing issues with Nintendo regarding these games, which is a shame, as I'd love to have better ports of all three than what came out on the N64. The N64 ports weren't too bad but certainly not arcade perfect!

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Yeah, S.T.U.N. runner is the only bad behaved one of the bunch. It would've been better if it weren't for the slowdown. Even though the graphics are flat shaded, they have that cool TRON-like look to them. Oldschool, style. Anyway, the slowdown is the only true thing that hurts the port. It must've been hard trying to bring that over. A shame as this would've aged much better if the framerate could only be improved. On the opposite front, I see what the reviewers meant about the improved Rush the Rock. I'm loving the frame rate, on that one. I never expected to see an older Rush game to run so smooth. I would've loved to see it run this way, in the arcades.

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
I have the #2 disc for Midway, going to pick this one up to I guess since Its so cheap. Im defenitely going to get the Capcom classic one also. Im loving how they finally got into good classic arcade games packs, I never felt like paying money for any of the atari or early namco ports

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Konig said:
I have the #2 disc for Midway, going to pick this one up to I guess since Its so cheap. Im defenitely going to get the Capcom classic one also. Im loving how they finally got into good classic arcade games packs, I never felt like paying money for any of the atari or early namco ports

Capcom classics is well worth the $20.