Mirrorless Camera

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Its been almost 10years since i bought a camera. Time for an upgrade.

What would you recommend? I really dont want to spend more than $1K for one but if i had to at most $1500.

Im thinking the Sony A6400 seem like a good price.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I have the Sony A6300, and I also had the Panasonic GX85. Both are solid mirrorless cameras.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not sure how advanced a photographer you are, but keep in mind that you'll get better results with a cheaper camera and a nice lens than a more expensive camera and a kit lens.

You can't go wrong with Sony, they're clearly in the lead in sensor technology. That said I prefer Olympus cameras, they may not be the absolute best in quality but it's still really good, has a great lens selection and is very compact. Also the image stabilization is the best in the business if that's something that would be handy to you. My Canon DSLR is capable of better pictures but I leave it at home most of the time in favor of the Olympus.

Also consider how advanced a photographer you are. Over on the dpreview forums (you should totally go there for research btw) there are so many people that dump a few thousand into an advanced camera and they're pictures are worse than the average iPhone pic since they don't know much about photography. A good camera will always beat a phone but only if the user knows what they're doing.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm not sure how advanced a photographer you are, but keep in mind that you'll get better results with a cheaper camera and a nice lens than a more expensive camera and a kit lens.

This is pretty much it.

In a nutshell, shop for the exact lens you want first, then buy a camera body which happens to fits it. If you don't know which focal length of lens might be best for you (and I'm assuming you used some sort of zoom lens on your current/old camera), you can browse through the metadata of your photos and see what focal length you tend to use the most - that's a good starting point.

I would also suggest a lens with around f/2.8 aperture. Lower (larger opening) can be great, but unless you're taking landscape shots with it (i.e. focused on infinity), anything inside with people for example, the depth of field will be super shallow (like a person's face can be in focus, but their nose, ~1" closer to the camera can be out of focus...so a f/1.2 or 1.8 lens has limited uses in some ways).

Anyway, I just went through picking a new mirrorless camera two weeks ago. My previous kit was a Sony A6000 with 16-70mm f4 lens, and a 12mm Zeiss for landscapes. Use a fancy Canon 5D? at work – but that thing is a beast in size/weight. I went with the Sony A6400 and the new Sony 16-55mm (24-70mm full-frame equivalent) f/2.8 lens. This will put you well over your budget unfortunately (the kit lens really isn't bad fyi).

It was between a Sony and a Fuji this time around, and I was even looking at used full-frame cameras too (sadly just for the lens it was still like $1500 alone for one of those). Then I found a website and made the below comparison photo. It really came down to how I didn't want a huge/heavy camera for travel, but STILL still have a camera with a decent wide to medium-zoom lens at f/2.8. That lens for most professionals (and enthusiasts) has always been the 24-70 f/2.8. You can see the pretty massive size difference here - each has an equivalent 24-70 f/2.8 lens (and even the Fuji is a decent amount larger):

AQwSAg5.jpg

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
How does HDR have the time to take photos when he works so damn much?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'd look for a lightly used A7S or A7R II. The advance in tech in those bodies vs the cameras you mentioned will be worth it. I use the A7SII as my daily driver body when I am not using a bigger camera for work (Alexa / Ursa / RED) and its a spectacular camera. Granted you don't need video or 4K internal recording of motion content so the A7RII would be a prime body if you can't find it for a good price used.

I basically run nothing but vintage japanese and russian glass for photography. M42 mount adapted to my A7SII. For motion I have a set of cinema primes but for photos that 70's/80's stuff can't be beat for the price