Mortal Kombat X on PC is seeing all kinds of drama lately.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
In case you hadn't heard, the Mortal Kombat XL and Kombat Pack 2 stuff isn't coming to PC. At all. This has gotten people super pissed over the past few days.

Personally, I'm disappointed. I hadn't bought the game, but that was largely because I didn't think I had the hardware for it. After the news broke about the new content not coming to PC, I hopped on one of those shady key sites and bought the premium edition for about 10 bucks mostly so I could write a negative review in hopes it would change WB's mind.

There's a petition, an effort to disrupt tomorrow's Kombat Kast, a movement to have people write negative reviews on Steam. People are trying to get WB's attention.

After I downloaded the game myself, I was surprised by how well the game did run on my current hardware. It has a tumultuous launch, but it's a good game, and it's a shame WB is treating the PC version like this. I was really looking forward to the new characters. Who wouldn't want to do Alien vs. Predator in Mortal Kombat?

What does everyone else think?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
They had issues with Batman AK too.

This also reminds of the DoA5 troubled PC launch, where it was missing online play for quite some time, and it was missing the extra stages from the PS4 / XB1 version (still no sign of adding them). Tecmo doesn't seem to care about it too, and is focusing on releasing the DLC costumes crap.

It seems like the PS4 is becoming the home for fighting games this generation, with KI being the only exception.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It's fucking retarded. There's no reason why the PC port should be getting fucked like this. SNK is really fucking shitty with their PC ports, too. I haven't been able to get KOF XIII to run properly, and I bought that like 2 or 3 years ago.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
What was the reason for not getting the update to the PC?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
This also reminds of the DoA5 troubled PC launch, where it was missing online play for quite some time, and it was missing the extra stages from the PS4 / XB1 version (still no sign of adding them). Tecmo doesn't seem to care about it too, and is focusing on releasing the DLC costumes crap.

To be fair, Tecmo was quite upfront about what the PC version would and wouldn't be getting before launch. Online was stuck in beta for far longer than they said it would be, but that got completed, too. I think the only new development since then has been the new DLC character which was announced long after the game launched on all platforms. It's still unclear if that character's going to be coming to PC.

It's fucking retarded. There's no reason why the PC port should be getting fucked like this. SNK is really fucking shitty with their PC ports, too. I haven't been able to get KOF XIII to run properly, and I bought that like 2 or 3 years ago.

Do you have the hardware for KOF13? My computer can run it just fine. In fact, my computer could run that arcade rip from years back just fine, too.

And not counting the DotEmu Metal Slug releases, SNK's real PC games have been largely awesome. Have you played the KOF UM ports on Steam? They saw lots of TLC after their release. They were pretty good upon release, but they're absolutely wonderful ports nowadays. I never played the Metal Slug defense game, though. Never wanted to.

There wasn't really a reason. Just that it's only coming to PS4 and Xbone.

An estimate pegs the PC version at 500,000 units sold, too. What a shame.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Id be willing to bet it has something to do with how the previous gen versions were handled. High Voltage Software who handled the PC port also handled the 360 and PS3 versions which by all accounts ran at about 15-20fps and was a total abortion. It probably lead NR to lose all faith in them. NR had to step in to help fix the PC version that they botched, and I can see why after all this they would want to just leave that version be and focus on the consoles.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Id be willing to bet it has something to do with how the previous gen versions were handled. High Voltage Software who handled the PC port also handled the 360 and PS3 versions which by all accounts ran at about 15-20fps and was a total abortion. It probably lead NR to lose all faith in them. NR had to step in to help fix the PC version that they botched, and I can see why after all this they would want to just leave that version be and focus on the consoles.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Q-Loc that took over after High Voltage screwed it up on the PC. You can even see Q-Loc listed in an additional credits roll after you complete one of the towers. I don't think NRS ever had any direct development work on the PC version.

I wish WB just got Q-Loc to port the Kombat Pack 2 and other XL features. MKX on PC really does run well now. You need beefy hardware for it, but it runs well.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It's a real shame to see the pc version get shafted less than a year after release.

The only thing NRS/WB has said about the whole deal is
"Mortal Kombat XL and Kombat Pack 2 will available on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One only."
They couldn't even write a proper sentence to explain the situation. I really don't understand why they are being silent and letting all the anger fester.

Sure, it had a rocky release, ran like shit for months, and each patch just fucked something else up worse by deleting saves or crashing training mode after 20 mins. But right now it actually works pretty well. I can run it at 720p with 50+ fps on mediumish settings with my radeon hd5850 which is well below the minimum system requirements. At launch I had to turn everything off that I could and run it at 800x480 to get 45 fps on any stage other than the training stage. The sky temple was unplayable at 15 fps. Like I said, it runs fine for me on any stage now.

This is pc, not the vita, wii, or 3ds. IMO it is perfectly reasonable to expect the pc platform to eventually be on par with consoles as far as support and future content. Especially in this age of DLC that we live in.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah that's super shitty. I imagine them firing High Voltage is partially to blame but WB's PC ports have been such a disaster for the past year, I can't say I'm that surprised.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Do you have the hardware for KOF13? My computer can run it just fine. In fact, my computer could run that arcade rip from years back just fine, too.

My computer isn't a potato. It doesn't take shit to run the game. It's just programmed like shit. That's why they had to patch multiple times after the game was released --because people either weren't getting any sound, getting stuck on black loading screens, or other retarded shit. I've downloaded the patches and even contacted customer service and ran through all of the bullshit hoops they gave me to troubleshoot their shitty port.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
My computer isn't a potato. It doesn't take shit to run the game. It's just programmed like shit. That's why they had to patch multiple times after the game was released --because people either weren't getting any sound, getting stuck on black loading screens, or other retarded shit. I've downloaded the patches and even contacted customer service and ran through all of the bullshit hoops they gave me to troubleshoot their shitty port.

I picked up on the 13 awhile ago and haven't had a single issue running it. Sucks that you're having a problem man.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Yeah I just picked it up for 4 bucks, and if anything it runs too good...

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Damn, that sucks. I've put in a few hours on PC after picking it up in the recent Steam sale as it's a great game and runs tight on my rig. Playing as Predator and Jason is a ball, and I was very keen to play as Alien... :(

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Damn, that sucks. I've put in a few hours on PC after picking it up in the recent Steam sale as it's a great game and runs tight on my rig. Playing as Predator and Jason is a ball, and I was very keen to play as Alien... :(
Sucks man, now you have to get the console version anyway.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Looking forward to XL version coming out soon. PC needs to be included also - its a huge market they are needlessly missing out on. Reminds me of how Injustice is never coming out on Xbone for who knows what reason.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This is great news indeed!

The people have spoken and the devs have listened.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I was able to get one same region opponent on the beta this morning, and I promptly whooped my opponent 5 or 6 times until he quit the game. He was using Triborg while I was using Liu Kang.

Then I couldn't find any more opponents, not even worldwide.

Still appreciated the opportunity to open a can of whoop ass, though. The game feels good online.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Glad to hear this is happening, but I already moved onto the ps4. Version long ago.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Glad to hear this is happening, but I already moved onto the ps4. Version long ago.

I would have, later than the PC version most likely, once I got a PS4. That'll probably be next year for me, so getting this on PC is a help to me.

And now the only reason for me to get a PS4 is KOF14. Good thing I'm dumping shitloads of money into my next PC in October or else I'd probably get the PS4 Neo just to play KOF14. Now there's more time for KOF14 to make its way to PC.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I wonder how much of the player base will really go back to pc. It was pretty dead once xl hit consoles.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I played for the last 3 hours against local players and would find an opponent within 30 seconds of searching. I understand there is a lot of people playing the open beta right at this moment but that's a good sign regarding how things may turn out for online PC play.