MOTM for NGPC - Rush Mode Question

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
I've been playing this game for years now, but I just did something in a middle of a battle that made me scratch my head.

I was using Athena in Team/Rush Mode against the CPU. I could have swore that I pressed A+B while blocking one of the computer's attacks, when a lightning bolt appeared at the point of impact (similar to one as if you were doing a block & switch in Tag Mode) and she did a quick move similar to her C+D Attack in KOF '98 as if to counter the attack. I missed with it, unfortunately, but I'm thinking this could be some kind of special launcher or counter move that I never tried to use in Rush Mode.

Of course, to make things more troublesome... I've tried to do this move again with absolutely no success.

Is there something I'm missing here??!? Possible glitch in the system? Or secret technique I knew absolutely nothing about until now? :help:

ray_7

Maybe it's some sort of "Alpha Counter" move that's available for the Rush Mode?

VinylBoy

ray_7 said:
Maybe it's some sort of "Alpha Counter" move that's available for the Rush Mode?

That's exactly what it looked like, but I never done it before and never thought was an available option for characters in Rush Mode.

I wish I still had the manual for this game. Not only have I lost it, but it would have been written in Japanese so I wouldn't be able to read it anyhow.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Yes, you can do the C+D attack in MOTM, this is available in Average Mode and Rush Mode, I forget if you can do it in Counter mode because I never use that mode (was never good at KOF98 Extra Mode...). Because the NGPC has only 2 buttons, you have to perform forward + A+B to do the equivalent of KOF's C+D attack. If you're playing a tag game, you can perform backward+A+B to tag out and bring in your other character, but you have to watch the timing, otherwise you could very well eat an SDM performed by your opponent.

VinylBoy

After playing the game for a few more hours, I've finally figured out how to do it. You press forward and press A+B. It uses one of your super stocks, but it does allow a person to counter a person and stop a combo.

I've played MOTM for years and it took me this long to find this out. So much stuff is hidden in this little game... it's amazing how SNK packed so many little tricks and surprises in one little handheld game. :tickled:

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
VinylBoy said:
After playing the game for a few more hours, I've finally figured out how to do it. You press forward and press A+B. It uses one of your super stocks, but it does allow a person to counter a person and stop a combo.

I've played MOTM for years and it took me this long to find this out. So much stuff is hidden in this little game... it's amazing how SNK packed so many little tricks and surprises in one little handheld game. :tickled:

I picked up my copy in 2004 and i still haven't unlocked a single character :help:

VinylBoy

taitai said:
I picked up my copy in 2004 and i still haven't unlocked a single character :help:

That's something that I can answer.
The way to unlock secret characters is to beat the game with the existing ones. If you complete a full game (beating all bosses), a board will appear with nine puzzle pieces that need to be removed in order to unlock a character. As the pieces get removed, you'll see the shadow of the fighter. The better you are at defeating the game (perfects, no continues, etc) the more puzzle pieces you may be able to remove at once. The pieces are removed at complete random, so even though you may need one piece to unlock one character, it may take several games for you to unlock them. But once all of them are removed, the character becomes useable in regular gameplay. And there's a lot of secret characters to unveil... about 10 if I recall.

And you also have to unlock the special moves each character gets by playing the Olympic games. A word of advice... Cat Walk raises points the fastest if you can do the Chun-Li Level. ;)