Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HornheaDD

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Wtf is Booze Allan.
All I know is what I googled: "As a consulting firm with expertise in analytics, digital, engineering, and cyber, we help businesses, government, and military organizations transform."

Soooo basically a faceless organization lol. Seton is a chain of hospitals.

Lagduf

If I change my Custom, Rank. I lose The 15YR Tag.,
A private bathroom is only for the master of the house.

How else would he keep the peons in line?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
First time watching these:

Breakfast at Tiffany's - everyone knows about Mickey Rooney's yellowface. But something that shocked me was Holly Golightly being married at 13 years old. To a guy three times her age. And no one is shocked at all. And now I'm wondering just how common this was in America in the 1950s for no one to blink at it. But anyway, good movie. Glad I finally saw it.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - feels like it was trying to be a little bit of Forrest Gump and Big Fish. Ended up falling far short of either. LMBO at the Hurricane Katrina ending that came out of nowhere.

terry.330

Manly Tears
The Green Knight- While it only contains maybe 40% at most of the original legend in it's various variations I think that was a good choice. It's absolutely stunning looking, well cast and overall just mesmerizing. Something I will no doubt pick up in 4k in the future just to have on in the background while drawing or painting. Really surprised that it got a wide theatrical release, it's definitely not for the masses.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
The Death of Stalin
Political satire about the jockeying for power that starts almost immediately after his death, wickedly funny with some inspired casting, Steve Buscemi as Khrushchev and the "Brilliant, fantastic!" guy from The Fast Show as the minister of Agriculture for example. Best movie I've seen in a while

4/5

100proof

In truth be told, You Have a, Crappy username.,
As it's the season for it, I watched Boris Karloff's The Mummy (1932). The original Universal monster movies are incredibly charming even if they don't hold up particularly well. The language of cinema at that point hadn't evolved much past the point of being filmed theater performances with the occasional establishing shot and the acting isn't the least bit subtle but the makeup work on Karloff is great and there are some shots that are really innovative for their time. I don't know... they are corny 90 years later but they're fun if you're willing to meet them halfway.

Also saw Halloween Kills in the theater. A few really good kills but the rest is middling to silly awful. I guess I shouldn't be surprised... there are more terrible Halloween movies than there are good ones. They carried over everyone from the 2018 rebootquel and it seemed like they had figured out the character and had a wrap-up to the Laurie Strode/Michael Myers story in mind but so much of Kills is just hilariously bad dialogue and cameos from characters no one gives a shit about. I wouldn't say it's as bad as the dregs of the franchise (6, Resurrection, Zombieween 2) but that's an incredibly low bar.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
Got this new for a buck. Thought it was pretty good, I’ll probably watch it again with a friend.

I thought the Cannon film designs and production were the best part, it’s a shame that A some of their concepts couldn’t be realized since it was the 80s and B Cannon films who I love had the usual budget constraints that made everything schlocky

it really was created solely to sell toys.

Also Frank Lagella looks great for being 80 when this was made.