Multi-region DVD players

cLo

Marked Wolf
What's a good, cheap DVD player that's multi-region? I wanted to be able to watch both U.S. and Japanese DVDs.

slerch666

updyke,
If you have a PS2 the DVD Region X works.Game Shark 2.0 works. It's only $30 compared to $150+ for a dedicated player.

Here are methods of getting around the region code on several players. Find one you think is quality and have at it.

There are so many places to buy region free players online that it's not even funny. I have a crappy ass GE player from Wal*Mart that I was able to flash the BIOS on. Quality isn't all that great, but it works.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
if you have an xbox, mod it, not only do you get region free/macro free play, you get 480p/720p/1080i playback on dvds as well. better than any 300 dollar region free player you're gonna find. most of those region free players are really cheap 150-199 (sometimes less) dvd players, and they bump the price up a 100+ or so for the mods.

slerch666

updyke,
DashK said:
if you have an xbox, mod it, not only do you get region free/macro free play, you get 480p/720p/1080i playback on dvds as well. better than any 300 dollar region free player you're gonna find. most of those region free players are really cheap 150-199 (sometimes less) dvd players, and they bump the price up a 100+ or so for the mods.
If you buy a quality DVD player that has been modded for Region free, the quality would be better than the X-Box, but again, only if you buy one you know is QUALITY.

Granted, the X-Box DVD is better than the PS Poop, but the $30 Game Shark is cheaper than buying a modded X-Box, modding an X-Box or buying a dedicated player. And if you aren't worried about quality, then watching on the PS Poop should be fine.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
slerch666 said:
If you buy a quality DVD player that has been modded for Region free, the quality would be better than the X-Box, but again, only if you buy one you know is QUALITY.

Granted, the X-Box DVD is better than the PS Poop, but the $30 Game Shark is cheaper than buying a modded X-Box, modding an X-Box or buying a dedicated player. And if you aren't worried about quality, then watching on the PS Poop should be fine.

actually i've ran a modded xbox on my 48 inch mitsu in 480p, and it looks better than my panasonic player, granted my player is almost 2 years old and was only 249

i'd say if you aren't using high definition, the quality of a DVD player is NOT gonna be noticeable, unless it's total shit like a 99 dollar player or something. xbox looks as good as any 299 non-hd player IMO.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
I'm not making this up

I heard that if you go to Costco (A wherehouse wholesale type chain) they have a Daewoo DVD player for $49 that is muiltiregion AND does PAL conversion.

I am not a member so I have to see if I can get my mother to go down with me.

The only caveat is that they sell 2 DVD players with the same model # and one of them ISN'T multiregion. Apparently you have to get the one that has the model # on the box AND remote control to get the right one. I found this story on www.aintitcoolnews.com If it simply says 'Daewoo' then it's not the right one.

Also, I don't know if they have Costcos outside of California.

CapcomFanConverted

Galford's Armourer
You want experts? forums.animeondvd.com and go to the hardware area. You can get any type of dvd player recommended to you by experts on the subject. Most people on that forum are dedicated and very nice.

slerch666

updyke,
DashK said:
actually i've ran a modded xbox on my 48 inch mitsu in 480p, and it looks better than my panasonic player, granted my player is almost 2 years old and was only 249

i'd say if you aren't using high definition, the quality of a DVD player is NOT gonna be noticeable, unless it's total shit like a 99 dollar player or something. xbox looks as good as any 299 non-hd player IMO.
I'm not using HD and my Pioneer (going on 3 years I think) player blows the shit out of the PS Poop2 and the X-Box. They are designed for games, not DVDs. You want a DVD player, buy a DVD player. Sure, it's a nice fringe benefit, but that's all it is.

If it's all a person can afford, that's cool. If you are looking for features and not just an after thought, buy the real player.

Either way, there are plenty of options to go reagion free.