Multicarts

jon713

Camel Slug
I own a 100 in 1 and plays perfect with no loading time. (as I have read that others do) I do notice that some games are "darker" than others especially SVC. Neo Turf Masters volume is super high compared to the other titles.

I just see this as a way to test out what games you want to purchase, maybe its just me but I rather have the originals on my 4 slot then have the multi-cart in. (It just feels right)

These multi-carts have an ass load of fighters but also a good mix of non fighters, I'm really getting into "Street Hoop" and the beat-um-ups.

I've read that the higher numbered carts come with problems but not really too sure on that.

It's a good purchase just to get a feel of the Neo library if your new to the scene. I bet if you get this you will start to want the originals sooner or later....

Good Luck!

SePh1r0tH

n00b
I also have the 100-1 multicart which I use on my AES with unibios 2.3 and super converter 2. It works flawlessly for the most part minus a few hacks that won't boot up. A few of the games have minor sound issues for me but once again these are hacks. All the real games play like the real deal. Still...I do prefer having the actual AES carts but we all know that's not always easy =\.

mannion

n00b
Cool thanks, I have a few AES carts and an AES console I might sell to fund some MVS carts.

I always say I don't care for the boxes and shit but there is something real nice about having the AES stuff so I'm not too sure just yet.

I had my first neo around 1995, long before I knew anything about consolizing an MVS board, back then I think the prices of the carts made the games even more special, wasn't like you could download an emulator, get a port or buy a multicart in '95, you literally had to cough up £250+ then wait a month for the shop to get your cart in, so when you did get it you were pretty hyped about it hehe

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Beware: like most boot stuff, multicarts are made with the cheapest-possible components in order to make the highest-possible profit for the maker, and as a result, they aren't 100% spec, like legit carts. They often have proplems with overvoltage which may cause overheating issues, or worse ,undervoltage, which will slowly (and silently) kill the solid-state components in your Neo-Geo's Motherboard.

Bazza1000

Tarma's Gun Polisher
All of the multi carts I've seen appear to have about 35% hacks on them, but still a decent selection of games. Good idea as said above to test out the games you want to buy and collect.

Do the AES consoles have to be modded to play them?

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
All of the multi carts I've seen appear to have about 35% hacks on them, but still a decent selection of games. Good idea as said above to test out the games you want to buy and collect.

Do the AES consoles have to be modded to play them?
The majority of multi-carts I've seen are in an MVS configuration, so you'll need a converter to play them on the AES.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
i stay away from the multicarts, some say its good to test games out before you buy, but id much rather use emu than take a risk of torching the ever decreasing amount of motherboards. im just saying :/

nork69

Marked Wolf
10 Year Member
I'm always a little afraid about those cart. I meet a guy with 3 of those and tried all of them.
There is always some game that not worked well. I was not enough lucky to get one that work 100%.
There is some...

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
For me I feel that multicarts are a great starter for people who are really unsure about the neo collection of games or the neo community, also for people that only have a 1-slot as for me I'd agonize about constantly removing and replacing carts and increasing the wear on the cart. But if they are as much a mixed bag as people say they are when it comes to affecting the lifespan of a board then that's just icing on the unfortunate situation cake.

people say they are when it comes to affecting the lifespan of a board .

Is there some proof that these multicard actually killed a MVS board, did this hapened to someone or someone they knew. Or is it just an urban legend, from people that are against these carts.

red shoe paul

Stakes Winner
15 Year Member
I have one that came with a machine I bought and the past owner said they had the machine for 2 years playing it regularly with no problems.

FrizzleFried

Mr. Big's Thug
I asked for evidence of a multicart killing a system some months back... never got it... from here, nor KLOV, nor BYOAC. The best I got was a post or two from some otherwise knowledgeable folks (neo-geo oriented) that mad the claim first hand... though they too never produced a single shred of evidence of one of these carts actually killing a motherboard.

DavidG

Having taken many 150 and 161's apart I can tell you there is no risk of damage to your MVS, converter or AES.

I can't speak for the multi's I've not had in hand but the 2 I have worked with are safe. All the ones I have seen were very well made and the quality was consistant.

If you run into problems check the connection between the cart and the system. If the problem is the same no matter what you do such as bad sound or missing gfx open the cart and check the board. Since these are made by hand it's very possible someone forgot to solder a pin or the 3rd pcb is loose. Older 150's had a high chance of the 3rd pcb for gfx coming loose, they fixed this issue on all newer 161's.

I've got the Super N in 1 (120in1) transulant green cart, and I'm happy with my cart even if I have some bugs with it. On mine, I deplore the fact that all the game are set on level8, and if go change in the menu it don't keep my changes. I think the only way I would be able to change difficulty on it, would be to put the switch at on for dip4-5, but on my CMVS I can't acces them. To overcome this problem, with my Unibios, I put my mvs in AES mode, so now when I start a game, I can choose my difficulty. Other than that, I have some light graphical trouble in some games, like when there's some explosion in Blazing Star after beating a boss for exemple, I have some glitchs on them but nothing major.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I've got the Super N in 1 (120in1) transulant green cart, and I'm happy with my cart even if I have some bugs with it. On mine, I deplore the fact that all the game are set on level8, and if go change in the menu it don't keep my changes. I think the only way I would be able to change difficulty on it, would be to put the switch at on for dip4-5, but on my CMVS I can't acces them. To overcome this problem, with my Unibios, I put my mvs in AES mode, so now when I start a game, I can choose my difficulty. Other than that, I have some light graphical trouble in some games, like when there's some explosion in Blazing Star after beating a boss for exemple, I have some glitchs on them but nothing major.

I recently bough the 100-in-1 from jon713 and once I change the settings in any game it remembers them anytime I go back to it and this is on a 1-slot with regular English BIOS. I have about two dozen of my favorite titles already on MVS but recently came into some medical trouble that severely limits my mobility so using a multicart with my 1-slot and Supergun allows me to play many games from the comfort of my couch without having to get up each time I wish to play a game. Sure most of them are hacks but I look at those as just extra fun. The official games all seem to run perfect except for sounds acting funny at times, way to quiet in some games and others way to loud but nothing that is a huge bother.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Having taken many 150 and 161's apart I can tell you there is no risk of damage to your MVS, converter or AES.

I can't speak for the multi's I've not had in hand but the 2 I have worked with are safe. All the ones I have seen were very well made and the quality was consistant.

If you run into problems check the connection between the cart and the system. If the problem is the same no matter what you do such as bad sound or missing gfx open the cart and check the board. Since these are made by hand it's very possible someone forgot to solder a pin or the 3rd pcb is loose. Older 150's had a high chance of the 3rd pcb for gfx coming loose, they fixed this issue on all newer 161's.

The 151-in-1 was actually something I was looking at when I first started considering my entry into Neo Geo MVS collecting, even though standalone game purchases is what I ended up going for and enjoying more. How well is the cart doing for you? I've heard that CPU difficulty settings and cheat-preloaded versions of games were the only issues with a multicart vs the actual game cart.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
On an MVS board does a Unibios create any problems for the multicart? Been wanting to upgrade but since I have an MV-1C amd with my current medical issues I am unable to do the mod myself due to the soldering involved. Would be more than happy to pay somebody to do it for me but not a priority if it will cause issues with the 100-in-1.

mrjiggs

Kabuki Klasher
Always wanted to try one myself but afraid of something malfunctioning and screwing up my board. :o

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Always wanted to try one myself but afraid of something malfunctioning and screwing up my board. :o

Yeah, that's why when I was looking for a 1-slot to buy for extra neo gaming I went with a socketed version. Not only would I be unsure if I'd do it properly if I had to solder, I'd have to do any kind of modding altogether. I kinda want to keep all my neo arcade boards unmodded to preserve their legacy of intactness.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i stay away from the multicarts, some say its good to test games out before you buy, but id much rather use emu ...
This. I'd much rather spend the money on the real thing. Roms can be had for free and a nettop with a smallish ssd doesn't cost more than a MVS board with a Multicart, so for me there's no reason to support the bootleggers.

blkdog7

n00b
I use the 120-in-1 with my 4 slot and I love it. I basically keep three keeper games in the other slots and the first slot has the 120-in-1 and this allows me to mix it up. My only complaint with the cart is that it resets the system every time you change games. I also wish you could pick a default game to load to and not have to pick a game every time you turn the system on (which then reboots the system after you pick the game).

I have about 20 or so games for my MVS but I like the variety the multi cart brings.

Anyways, I really like the cart and I also don't believe for a second that it shortens the life of the system. Sorry, I just don't buy it. :) :)

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
a friend has a 161 in 1 in his cabinet (generic jamma cab with MV-1 board) and alot of the games are completely unplayable and will freeze or crash within minutes. I borrowed the cart this week as I wanted to see if it was the cart (and play super dodge ball :)), turns out it works just fine on my 2slot.

so be careful if you have a MV-1 I suppose.