MV1FZS with z80 error?

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
I got a few random bits of computer stuff in an auction near me and found a MVS in the box! Along with a Hou Yeu supergun board!

Now the bad part... both look like they have been submerged in a swamp -.- I have spent the last hour or two attempting to clean both up with a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol and the mvs at least looks passable... the supergun looks corroded to hell but seems to be working...

When I try to power up the board (on both the supergun and in my conversion cabinet) I get greeted by a fantastic z80 error. I don't know allot about the technical aspects of a MVS (this is a start I guess) but from googleing the error is something to do with the sound on the system? The battery seems to now have leaked but I don't rely know where to start with this... so any advice on what to try before I either chuck or find someone to fix it would be great!

I can provide pics of the board if someone tells me what area i should take the pic of!

Cheers,
Warpedflash

Last edited:

Supasaru

Windjammers Wonder
Z80s are cheap and extremely common.

It's not too tough of a replacement, I don't think. Depends on if you're comfortable with it, I suppose.

My MV4 had a number of issues, but apparently the Z80 error can be caused by a dirty cartridge as well. Make double sure the contacts are clean, and hopefully its a normally working cart...

and of course it could still be the chip itself.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
I saw channelmaniac's site when I googled the problem (first result) the only problem for me is I am in the UK and shipping the unit out there is out of the question as I can buy another one for less than the shipping costs would be!
I guess I could try replacing it. Nothing to loose I either have a dead board for one reason or another! Anyone know of a UK source for the Z80? Or can anyone tell me any tests i could run to double check that that is what's blown?
With regard to it being a cart issue I have tried a few different games in the mvs (and they work fine in my cab) and they all give the same results even after giving the connectors an intensive cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.

SO I guess i either try the replacement myself (I will find some old donor board first to brush up on my soldering skills first) OR Find someone based in the UK to do the repairs for me. So any good sources for either one?

Thanks for helping guys!

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Just because it says Z80 error it doesn't mean the Z80 itself is bad. It's a generic message that means something is wrong with the data or address bus of the Z80 or what's connected to them, which includes the SM1 rom (on the mobo), the sound ram 6116, the M1 rom (on the cart), the sound generator YM2610, the NEO-C1 and NEO-D0 (on a MV1FZ). It might even be just broken traces between the CPU and these components. You need to check all these things instead of replacing parts randomly. Not to mention that on a MV1FZ the Z80 is in a tiny surface-mount package so the replacement pointed out above isn't even correct.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
Just because it says Z80 error it doesn't mean the Z80 itself is bad. It's a generic message that means something is wrong with the data or address bus of the Z80 or what's connected to them, which includes the SM1 rom (on the mobo), the sound ram 6116, the M1 rom (on the cart), the sound generator YM2610, the NEO-C1 and NEO-D0 (on a MV1FZ). It might even be just broken traces between the CPU and these components. You need to check all these things instead of replacing parts randomly. Not to mention that on a MV1FZ the Z80 is in a tiny surface-mount package so the replacement pointed out above isn't even correct.

So you probably just rained on the "possibly I can fix it" parade as I would have no idea of where to start with a lot of that although I guess I could learn...
Is there a way i can test each separate part to rule out each in turn? If I do end up trying to fix this myself knowing what to buy would be a good start...

Again either that or find a UK member who can fix it for me (looking even more likely now)