MV4FT2 Audio Issues with CMVS.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
I'm converting my MV4FT2 and I have a beautiful picture but no audio...

I am sharing ground across my component and audio. Is this the issue?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
IMG_8965.jpg

(The wires are NOT connected in this photo)

I had the audio wire connecting to the PCB soldering points off of the L & 10 pins. Then I soldered the wired directly onto the jamma connector. Still nada.

IMG_8966.jpg

I am sharing the ground off of my power supply. Should I actually run wires from Pin 11?

There's got to be something simple I'm overlooking.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
First thing is you need to solder to the headphone jack for stereo, then you need to join the two +5v rails. The sound section is powered by the secondary +5v rail via the LM7805 which converts the +12v into +5v. The easiest way to do the mod is by joining the two rails via something easy. I usually do it via the YM2610 as it has pins connected to both rails.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
First thing is you need to solder to the headphone jack for stereo, then you need to join the two +5v rails. The sound section is powered by the secondary +5v rail via the LM7805 which converts the +12v into +5v. The easiest way to do the mod is by joining the two rails via something easy. I usually do it via the YM2610 as it has pins connected to both rails.

One problem, I don't think this board actually has a headphone jack. I was able to get sound from the speaker slider, but it is real faint, causing me to raise the volume on my tv to hear at a reasonable level.

Also, I found the YM2610 chip but I am unable to locate the LM7805 chip. :confused:

IMG_8970.jpg

IMG_8968.jpg

IMG_8969.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The headphone jack is the 4 pin header.

As for the 7805, looks like it doesn't use one which makes it easier. Just tap it from the headphone jack. Pin 1 is left, 2&3 is ground and 4 is right iirc.

Last edited:

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
The headphone jack is the 4 pin header.

As for the 7805, looks like it doesn't use one which makes it easier. Just tap it from the headphone jack. Pin 1 is left, 2&3 is ground and 4 is right iirc.

So I got the audio to work. (Thanks!) It's nice and loud, but now I'm running into a weird issue.

The picture and audio is nice and clean then after about 5-10 mins, I start to hear a whine and the image begins to get wavy in the background. If I turn down the volume on the board, the whine is the only thing you'll hear. Any thoughts?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Power supply looks strong enough, I'm thinking it could be a bad Mylar cap. I once got these same issues with a slight whine but this really distorted picture that would happen if the audio was plugged in but when I unplugged the audio it would go nuts. Then I found out it was one of the Mylar caps(square chicklet looking ones).

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Is there anyway I can test the caps or should I just order and replace?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Due to their age, even though some are still good, I'd just replace them all to avoid a headache in the future if you decide to use it in a cab.

Dinodoedoe

Bub & Bob's Bub,
20 Year Member
Resolution: I recapped all the audio side of my 4 slot and sadly I'm having the same issues. I was moving cables around when I touched the power supply to my CMVS and I noticed it was very hot. After I replaced the AC power adapter the problem went away. So far I've been playing my CMVS for a few hours and the power supply is cool to the touch and the audio/video has been stable. So it looks like my power supply was faulty from the get go.