MVS 1-slot and dodgy physical connection with Jamma Harness

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
So long story short I brought a one slot I have (that I haven't used a lot but have verified worked for about 15 minutes on a supergun) to a friends' house and plugged it into his JAMMA cab.

...and basically got it resetting/blinking a bunch of stuff. A bit of testing and fiddling, and my eventual conclusion was that the contact with the harness seems just a bit dodgy. If I apply just a tiny bit of pressure to hold the edge connector and THEN power it up, it works, at least for a minute or so until vibration/mashing buttons/whatever seems to kill it again, rebooting the system.

So since his harness works fine for his PCBs, etc, I'm guessing it's just an issue of a well-worn/used MVS board mixed with a harness that's seen some use.

So I'm thinking maybe just trying (I'd love something smaller/shorter) of buying a JAMMA extension cable, hoping that both the ends are 'tight' enough to be secure. Any thoughts or ideas? Reasonable approach?

I cleaned the contacts of the jamma connectors on one slot before I went over there too, so I don't think it's any dirt/cruft/etc.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Try using a hirose jamma connector, they are the blue ones. I think they are sold on jammaboards.com

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks, Xian.

I'm sure you're right that that's the right (long term) solution but since it's not my cab, replacing the harness isn't an option really -- since it works for the other PCBs, I'm gonna assume my MVS is the thing out of spec/tolerances being crap.

That's why I was seeking gimmicky solutions. Thanks very much for your time.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
The ones on jammaboards are not hirose. Good quality, but not as good as the hirose ones.