MVS 4slot Z80 jumper nest

erock

n00b
Noob here, Picked up a 4slot recently knowing it had some issues. Occasional Z80 errors, garbled/no sound.

Installed Unibios 3.3, loaded 4 carts in, skipped a Z80, no real graphic errors, all slots worked, but no sound. Started poking around the Z80 and found a decent number of jumpers... Anyone here have any ideas (just from looking at pics) as to what may have been the intent???

edit: I think a cap kit was put in as well.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3480_a.jpg

IMG_3479_a.jpg

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The intent was probably trace repair, but that's nuts. That board should be sent to a professional.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's weird seeing trace repair on the top of a board.

erock

n00b
There she is! (on under side of board)... Ok this makes more sense now... yuck. Looks like he was playing with a mini light saber too close the work bench.

IMG_3482_a.jpg

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
If that gouge is literally the only damage on the board, you could always reverse all the repairs on the top of the board and just patch traces under the board. The correct procedure would be to check what exactly all the old jumpers are patching exactly and see if they are related to the gouge. If there are no other repairs going on besides the gouge, then that's all you'd need to focus on.

Going by those first pictures though, it almost looks like the guy cut up some of the legs on those chips. If that's the case, I'd just replace the Z80 and SM1.

Actually, you should replace the Z80 regardless. The MVS requires a Z80A, which has a faster clock speed. Running a Z80 at Z80A speeds will cause premature chip failure.

Last edited:

erock

n00b
...reverse all the repairs
Ah- I was thinking of doing that... You sir may have convinced me.

...just replace the Z80 and SM1.
I found several Z80As online, not sure what the SM1 is (yet).

...Running a Z80 at Z80A speeds will cause premature chip failure.
I was reading about the different versions on another thread and then I saw that there was "Z80a" actually printed on the board. Thanks for answering a future question! :)

erock

n00b
Whelp- Thanks everyone for the info. I regret not flipping the board over first...:emb: I was so surprised by the wire job I skipped some due diligence.

The clipped "150" resistor above the Z80 has me worried...BUT:

Z80a is on its way, I'm off to the cellar to re-trace this thing. Thanks again!

150Q.jpg

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
If the SM1 hasn't had any of its pins cut and lifted, then just clean up the pins and leave it alone.

SM1 is a ROM chip, it contains generic Z80 code. The ROM file for it can be found in the common neo-geo.zip MAME archive.

Yes, swap out the Z80 for a Z80A, maybe add a socket while you're at it. That is if you don't need to solder any wires to it on the top side of the board.

erock

n00b
Update:
Re-worked all the existing jumpers, clean cut questionable/damaged traces and ran all new jumpers (It looks like all were related to the gouge, thank you).
SM1 "looked" good once I cleaned it up.
Ran the cab for a couple hours: no errors/glitches other than no audio & consistent z80 errors during HW test (empty current/expected values fwiw)
I'm looking for Z80 pinouts for the 4 slot ATM.
Should I be worried about the clipped "150" resistor (last pic)?
Z80a & IC burner should be on their way.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:

erock

n00b
For the curious:

Still ratty, but easier read. (I'll tac it down later)
IMG_3490a.jpg

Much better considering the giant gouge on the other side.
IMG_3491a.jpg

VaNDAL_UK

n00b
No too bad of a repair. I would suggest some Kaynar wire or some enamelled copper wire for a more permanent & clean job. Next I would:

1: Replace the resistor.
2: Just replace the z80 (if you have no way of testing.
3: Continuity test anything that look suspicious.

erock

n00b
No too bad of a repair. I would suggest some Kaynar wire or some enamelled copper wire for a more permanent & clean job. Next I would:

1: Replace the resistor.
2: Just replace the z80 (if you have no way of testing.
3: Continuity test anything that look suspicious.

Considering my noob-ness, I will take that as a high compliment sir! I will swap out wires when it's sorted, Kaynar it will be.

1) I believe that's a brown/green/brown/gold resistor I am looking for. (?)

2) Z80a- in the mail.

3) I'm getting really good at that part :).

I can't thank everyone enough for their time on this.

erock

n00b
Looking good! No issues after the fix?

The original list was: general instability, random crashes, no/crunchy audio & occasional z80 errors.

After all this: a consistent z80 error, no audio. There were no other issues present after running for 4 hours with 4 carts loaded.

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
The original list was: general instability, random crashes, no/crunchy audio & occasional z80 errors.

After all this: a consistent z80 error, no audio. There were no other issues present after running for 4 hours with 4 carts loaded.

Ahh okay, well at least nothing got worse! I'd bet it's a dead Z80. I've replaced quite a few in my time. Hopefully that will fix your audio issue!

erock

n00b
Update: Got the new z80(a) & socket in... get this from Unibios 3.3 & still no sound. Volume slider is pushing the speakers... just no audio.:

IMG_3500a.jpg

Does the lack of an address leave any clues?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Looks like the Z80 is completely inactive going by that error message. The only real means of diagnosis now is the Diagnostic BIOS + M1 ROM combo, you can get it at Jamma-Nation-X.

After that, you may want to go over your gouge repair to make sure it's fully working. The wires you recycled are way too big though, get some IDE hard drive cabling and use that, just peel each wire you need off the cable. If the gouge repair is good, then you'll be wanting to check over the rest of the bottom board for damage. Other than that, it'd just be bad parts to look out for.

The SM1 ROM shouldn't cause complete inactivity like that. Going by the MV-1B board, which doesn't have an SM1 ROM, I'd say it's an optional component. It just contains rudimentary Z80 code, something that every Neo Geo game has on the CHA board in the form of an M1 ROM chip.