Mvs cabinet problem

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Im just wondering if anyone can help. I recently bought a six slot mvs cabinet so I'am a bit of a novice at this. Whenever I switch the machine on and it's booting up the monitor continuesly flickers and wont start. The strange thing is when I bang the right hand side of the machine it sometimes starts! However I can be ten minutes into the game and suddenly it goes off again and starts flickering. I have opened up the back of the cabinet and tried altering the screen and focus knobs but to no sucess. Can anyone help?

SSS

neo retired
Im just wondering if anyone can help. I recently bought a six slot mvs cabinet so I'am a bit of a novice at this. Whenever I switch the machine on and it's booting up the monitor continuesly flickers and wont start. The strange thing is when I bang the right hand side of the machine it sometimes starts! However I can be ten minutes into the game and suddenly it goes off again and starts flickering. I have opened up the back of the cabinet and tried altering the screen and focus knobs but to no sucess. Can anyone help?

Check the molex connector that provides power to the chassis.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
I have checked that and all other connections and everything seems to be connected ok.

SSS

neo retired
Could be a cracked solder joint on the chassis. Might be worth it to pull it and look underneath. All that heat and vibration over the years can take it's toll on pcbs. If you've never worked on monitors before, might want to get someone to discharge it for you.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
It wouldn't be hard to narrow this problem down. Next time the picture cuts out, instead of banging the machine, wiggle any connectors on the chassis.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Is the chassis the board at the back of machine where the monitor is? Or is it the one behind the slot board? Sorry for my bad knowledge but I really am a novice at this. I only got the machine last week. Hewitson, I gave every connector a wiggle and switched on the cabinet and it all seems to be working for now thanks for the advice. I did notice inside the cabinet there's a fair bit of dust. Would this have any effect on the problem I've been having?

Last edited:

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
dust is likely not the culprit. wiggling the wires probably helped with a loose connection or bad solder joint which will need to have a more permanent fix eventually.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The chassis is the main circuit board of the monitor. If you can narrow the problem down to one single connector, the solder joints on that connector simply need to be reflowed as they have became bad.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Does the monitor have a remote pot adjustment board with cable going to the chassis?

neptonikboy

New Challenger
No I can't see a remote pot board going into the chassis, Hewitson I do know someone who's a pretty good electrician so I might get them to have a look at it. At least then they can give all the connectors a proper check rather than me messing about with it.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Hi all just wondering if anyone can help? I switched on my mvs cabinet today and it wouldn't turn on, there was no power going into it at all. So I thought it might be the fuse in the plug. So I checked the fuse which was a 5 amp fuse and replaced it. When I switched the cabinet back on I heard a popping sound from the cabinet and it blew the fuse and it dosen't work at all. I'm also still having problems with the monitor flickering randomly, I can play sometimes 10 min sometimes for over an hour before the monitor flickers, it's all really starting to piss me off now.

NeoBetic

n00b
Hey Nepton,

I have a 4slot and a 2 slot MVS cabinet that I had to do my fare share of cleaning and fixing to get working and looking decently. First thing first. These cabs are are from 10-15yrs + old so if anything goes wrong I would advise not to hit or bang on the cabinet. Your probably making things worst. Your first post said you were playing the game and it went out on you. Was it just the picture or the entire monitor and the cabinet.
Guess #1
If the monitor went black and the game stopped working chances are that the main MVS harness that plugs into your 6slot motherboard is loose. If it is, it will kill all the power and shut the system down. So check that first. If you don't know what it is, its the long flat connector that is the largest plug that goes into your board. Also check to see that the wires that are going into the harness are not loose and popping out. There's a nice little sync wire that if it gets loose will cause your monitor to flicker.

Guess #2 I would not advise looking at these options until you get your friend or do more research. The monitor is very dangerous and you can kill yourself due to high voltage risks if you are not careful. The RED ANODE CABLE that goes to the back of the monitor tube is very dangerous
If the monitor went out or started to flicker and you can still hear the game working it can be many things. Here's a couple of easy guesses.
1. The harness or wires that connect the Neo Geo motherboard to your monitor is loose or going bad. Its typically known as your RGB connection. This harness gets loose sometimes threw moving the cabinets. Worse case, your solder points for the connecton pins on your chassis is bad.
2. Power cable or harness that goes from your power supply or isolation transformer is loose. Or even worse the isolation transformer or power supply it self is bad.
3. Some of the newer monitors have a small board that will usually have a controls knobs(or pots) for contrast, brightness, v-pos, h-pos, etc. This board is called a remote board because it has long wire attached to the monitor chassis so you make adjustments while looking at the monitor itself. The remote board cab be detached from the wire harness at its end and also on the monitor chassis end. If not attached properly the monitor will not give any kind of picture or flicker.

Problem number two
You are blowing fuses. Your power supply can be going bad. You could also have a bad ground or misc wire rubbing/touching. Last but not least, six slot boards from what I've heard are the least reliable of the multi slot boards. So maybe your board its on it's way out.

Too many things to look into, but I'd try these basic things with help first before you do any monitor chassis recapping or replacing!