MVS cart cleaning

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
Does anybody know of a good alcohol solvent to use or a good cleaning liquid that can help me in cleaning the contacts of MVS carts? I got a SS4 and a Mslug4 that are dirty as heck and I need a good cleaner to get the crud off the contacts.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Does anybody know of a good alcohol solvent to use or a good cleaning liquid that can help me in cleaning the contacts of MVS carts? I got a SS4 and a Mslug4 that are dirty as heck and I need a good cleaner to get the crud off the contacts.

Isopropanol

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
xiao is right. Just some regular alcohol and some q-tips and you're done. Other people have said they use pencil erasers but I've never used one of those on a cart, personally.

famitek

n00b
Anyone had much luck with metal cleaners like Brasso? They seem to do the trick on my NES carts...

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I probably wouldn't use Brasso unless the cart was super dirty. Brasso is an abrasive so it will remove a small amount of metal. I personally haven't had any cart that is dirty enough to warrant an abrasive product...and that's coming from someone who has purchased a few Yaton carts.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
soap, water and a greenie weiny or a bristle brush.

just make sure its dry before you use again

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
xiao is right. Just some regular alcohol and some q-tips and you're done. Other people have said they use pencil erasers but I've never used one of those on a cart, personally.

I have heard that the pencil eraser tactic is good if combined with the alcohol q-tip treatment, but I have heard that such a way is for extremely dirty carts.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
pencil erasers (standard pink ones anyways) have some sort of abrasive grit in them that actually works really well for shining up metal surfaces, especially brass and copper that get tarnished after awhile. Thats not the case with cart contacts, but it should work wonders on the edge connectors.

I'd still use a Q-tip and alcohol afterwards to clean any eraser residue and due off the connectors so you don't get crap in your motherboard socket.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I use an art eraser. Never had to mess with anything else.

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, that is pretty much all of the answers that I was looking for. It does give me some options to go with. Thank you all for the advice.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I use demineralized water and q-tips. It gets the dust and dirt off, but maybe some of the stronger cleaning liquids or solvents would clean the contacts even better(sometime the PCB fingers still have black stuff on them after I've cleaned them- maybe it's corrosion.