MVS Cart Labels Question

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Hi, just wanted to know if anyone could help me. I recently bought a MVS cabinet with 44 games. I have noticed that on e-bay all the MVS games for sale have plain black and white labels with the name of the game on them. However the 44 games I got the labels are completely different. They have different colours on the top of label which indicates what genre they are i.e red for fighting game or yellow for a puzzle game etc. The name of the game on the label is more colourful and like the way it would be on the case for the game. Also at the bottom of the label it tells you what megs the games are I have checked to see if they are US, JAP, EU etc and none of them have the labels that my 44 games have. Can anyone help?

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Yeah Sasha, that picture you posted is one of my games I'm selling on e-bay lol! So they are replacement labels then? Does this take some of the value away from the game? They don't look like replacements though. They look like they have been on the cart originally.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
lol, that was a good guess. im no expert on MVS carts but id say it would knock abit of the value down not having the original label.

Edit - if there all like that one i linked then yes they are all replacement labels. MVS carts dont come with coloured labels like that. did you buy then all thinking they were original????

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Without an original label I would suggest going off of the lowest price listed for either region in the MVS price guide.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Thats a steal. where did you find this deal??? the seller must have been clueless.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Sasha I found it on a website called preloved. I had to borrow a van and do a 400 mile journey to collect it. But definately worth it though, here's a full list of the games I got with it:
3 Count Bout, Art Of Fighting 1, 2 & 3, Baseball Stars, Fatal Fury, Football Frenzy, Garou: Mark Of The Wolves, King Of Fighters 94, 95 & 96, King Of The Monsters 1 & 2, League Bowling, Magician Lord, Metal Slug 1, 2, X & 3, Neo Turf Masters, Panic Bomber, Puzzle de Pon, Puzzled, Rage Of The Dragons, Real Bout, Riding Hero, Samurai Showdown 1, 2 & 4, Savage Reign, Sengoku, Soccer Brawl, Stakes Winner 2, Super Baseball 2020, Super Sidekicks 1 & 2, Twinkle Star Sprites, Windjammers, World Heroes 1, 2, Jet & Perfect

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Wow you made out like a bandit.

Those labels are nice. The problem I have is that if I started using them I'd have to label my whole collection for uniformity, and there's just no way to find every game with a label crappy enough to warrant replacing. Every good original label replaced not only lowers the value of the games, but reduces the pool of potential buyers considerably.

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Sasha I found it on a website called preloved. I had to borrow a van and do a 400 mile journey to collect it. But definately worth it though, here's a full list of the games I got with it:
3 Count Bout, Art Of Fighting 1, 2 & 3, Baseball Stars, Fatal Fury, Football Frenzy, Garou: Mark Of The Wolves, King Of Fighters 94, 95 & 96, King Of The Monsters 1 & 2, League Bowling, Magician Lord, Metal Slug 1, 2, X & 3, Neo Turf Masters, Panic Bomber, Puzzle de Pon, Puzzled, Rage Of The Dragons, Real Bout, Riding Hero, Samurai Showdown 1, 2 & 4, Savage Reign, Sengoku, Soccer Brawl, Stakes Winner 2, Super Baseball 2020, Super Sidekicks 1 & 2, Twinkle Star Sprites, Windjammers, World Heroes 1, 2, Jet & Perfect

Unreal, instant collection mate. Twinkle star sprites is a real good find(£100+)

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
A lot of decent value games there, along with a few higher priced ones, especially Twinkle Star Sprites (hurts me to think of someone pulling off an original label on that game though). Even going off of low value, you at least doubled your money on the games alone. Have you checked them for boots?

neptonikboy

New Challenger
What are boots Jaelus? excuse my bad knowledge but I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to MVS. I can't believe twinkle spirites is worth £100! Do you guys know if any of the other games are worth alot?

Last edited:

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Mark Of The Wolves & Blazing Star both around £50 & ya like Shadows said these prices are if there original.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Twinkle Star Sprites is the big one, but Garou: Mark of the Wolves and Blazing Star are also valuable. There are several in the $40-$50 range in there, but even the cheap ones are $15-$20, and that's a lot of games.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
There definately originals shadows, most of the carts have the original yellow caution sticker on them and alot of them have snk ingraded into the cart.

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Thanks for the info guys, nice to have confirmation I got a bargain, as I was convinced myself that I did.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
That doesnt really mean they are originals. The only way to be 100% sure most of the time is to open it up. At least Id check for the higher value ones.
Just unscrew the 4 screws, open it up like 1-2 inches to not screw up the label. And compare the insides to this.
http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
There definately originals shadows, most of the carts have the original yellow caution sticker on them and alot of them have snk ingraded into the cart.

You can't tell from the cart exterior. Anyone can take a cart shell and put whatever they want in it. Having a repro label on them tends to increas the likeliness that they are not original, since you can take a cart from one game and put a label on it for another more valuable game. Not that I think you have boots. Just saying in general that's the case.

Anyway, the only way to tell is to open up the carts and inspect the boards. A lot of times it's obvious if it's a boot or not, but it's frequently hard to tell. If the boot uses original SNK boards, you can look for replaced eproms, messy soldering, jumper wires or other non-original components like daughter boards (sometimes these are ok though depending on the game).

neptonikboy

New Challenger
Shadows I have opened up some of my carts and used that link you posted and the boards inside my carts are the exact same. So I guess they are original carts then.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Yep, always better to check especially if you plan on selling them.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
man, thats a great buy. good job