MVS gamer eyeing AES hotness.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
My hypocracy meter is starting to go off.... I've advised so many people to stay away from AES but am feeling the extreme urge to pick up one myself. I know the games can be ridiculously priced, but having owned one as a kid, my nostalgia is starting to get the better of me.

I currently have a big red 4-slot and a handful of MVS games. I know I shouldn't do this. Consider this a cry for help.
you can get an AES console and a MVS/AES converter. that way you can have most of your games in MVS form.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Here is my view on things:

As a child I always adored the Neo. First bought a NGCD because it was more affordable, then an AES and more recently an CMVS.

I collect for MVS and AES but the bulk of my AES collection was bought almost a decade ago. Still don't have any really expensive carts on AES. Everything that I believe is unjustified in terms of $$$ when it comes to AES I go MVS. So it's half and half.

AES has some really cheap classics like FFS, SS2, KOF94-99, Magician Lord, AOF2, Fighters History Dynamite, etc.

I would say go for it

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
ElectricGrave,

nice writeup. I would have killed for the Gold bundle but could only afford a used homecart system. Thankfully they were not too difficult to obtain back then because a lot of people made the switch to 3D and dumped their 2D stuff to buy a shiny-new PSX with a couple of games.

Heh, and your Miami mailorder thing gave me some good memories, did an awful lot of mailordering back in the day. There was a guy in a neighbouring town (Erlangen) who ran a small mailorder shop called Spielraum, he was one of my main suppliers for Neo and Genny imports, even though some of his prices were outrageous.

Switching to MVS wouldn't make sense for me now, I can play all Neo/SNK games I like on my homecart-NGCD-ports setup. I'm also not really into the DIY thing, my tech skills are mediocre at best and I don't want to fiddle with loose wires and external PSUs and whatnot, I just wanna get out a console, plug it in and have fun, then throw the lot back into the cupboard and be done with it. Yeah, a CMVS could do that for me as well but I can't see the point in making or buying one at the moment. There are, like, two or three games besides the ones I already have on other formats I'd be remotely interested in getting on MVS, either because they're MVS-only/no NGCD version or very expensive on homecart, so the effort of selling my homecart stuff, buying a MVS board, consolizing it and getting all the games I had on hc on MVS seems too high for me.

Maybe I should have made the switch a couple of years ago when MVS stuff was cheap, now it seems that even bare cart prices of certain games have reached almost homecart level. This means that by selling your homecart stuff to go the MVS route, one may end up in a similar situation as before, just with uglier carts and less convenience... :)

Judging from the amount of time I've spend with a system and overall cost, my fave Neo console is the NGCD. Sure, it loads a lot and there are visual cuts here and there but it still gives me lots of pleasure. I bought a top loader shortly after it was available over here and had a blast with playing all the great games for a fraction of what I would have paid for the cart version. Now I own a sizeable NGCD library and will never part with it, maybe it's not the "official" way of playing Neo games but it's good enough for me.
I started with an AES for nostalgia reasons and then bought an Omega because I wanted to have the easy console setup and expensive NEO games for cheaper. I also wanted to have exclusive MVS format titles in their original form. I still have both consoles. AES is sweet but an Omega looks better in my opinion and feels almost the same.
A bare MVS motherboard solution (not CMVS) is not as hard as you imagine.
It's not necessary to mess with any cables or an external PSU. I was thinking same way as you but some day got over it. You can acquire a Japanese control box solution. There are plenty on sale out there. You have a 2 player setup easily in front of you and you need just a power and RGB out scart cable to connect on the monitor or TV. The jamma cable connects to a MVS mobo or any arcade PCB you ever wanted.
For example you can switch the Punisher cart in the photo with a MVS mobo loaded with a game.
I plan to buy a 2 slot MVS in the future to use the easy 2 player accessibility for my MVS games as well.
Pulstar in the photo is gone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited: