My copy of Sonic Wings 3 MVS has garbled sound.

Redguard

New Challenger
I recently acquired Sonic Wings 3 MVS. The game runs fine except for the sound. The sound is garbled. The sound is distorted and corrupted. I tried using cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol as well as a pink eraser on the connector pins and no luck at all. I opened the cart and all the solder points look fine. Any suggestions?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
It's likely you need at least 1 new V ROM chip. Got the same problem on my King of Monsters 2 at the moment. I thought it could have been the PCM chip but i've swapped that from a Super Sidekicks 2 board already and both games are the same, so it wasn't the PCM chip. I've also dumped and checked the M1 chip and that's also fine in my case.

9 times out of 10 if cleaning doesnt work you need a new V ROM chip.

See this thread:-
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?247810-42-pin-EPROMs

It has a link to a chinese company which i've used before. You can order some EPROMs from there, and email the V ROM images from a working emulator version. If you can somehow work out which V ROM chip it is then obviously that's the best way so you only need to order one chip.

They are reasonably priced anyway, I paid something like $15 (shipped) for a 2Mb 27C160 and a 1Mb 27C800 with the 2 V ROM images pre-programmed by them.

Alternatively get something like a Willems programmer, desolder the chips and read them - compare checksums against emulator copies and replace chip(s) with EPROMS as required.

Last edited:

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
It's likely you need at least 1 new V ROM chip. Got the same problem on my King of Monsters 2 at the moment. I thought it could have been the PCM chip but i've swapped that from a Super Sidekicks 2 board already and both games are the same, so it wasn't the PCM chip. I've also dumped and checked the M1 chip and that's also fine in my case.

9 times out of 10 if cleaning doesnt work you need a new V ROM chip.

See this thread:-
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?247810-42-pin-EPROMs

It has a link to a chinese company which i've used before. You can order some EPROMs from there, and email the V ROM images from a working emulator version. If you can somehow work out which V ROM chip it is then obviously that's the best way so you only need to order one chip.

They are reasonably priced anyway, I paid something like $15 (shipped) for a 2Mb 27C160 and a 1Mb 27C800 with the 2 V ROM images pre-programmed by them.

Alternatively get something like a Willems programmer, desolder the chips and read them - compare checksums against emulator copies and replace chip(s) with EPROMS as required.
Most of the times it's the Vrom like you said but in worst cases it can be the Neo PCM chip. I had a strikers 1945+ that had garbled sound and it wasn't the VRom. Lol

Redguard

New Challenger
If someone is willing to fix it for me for a reasonable price, send me a PM. I don't do work on chips.

Redguard

New Challenger
Post board pics.

Front and back.

So I can see what you've got.

Sorry for the delayed response. Here are some photos.

iaij.jpg

uhnb.jpg

77jv.jpg

j5y4.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Probe the LS139 to see if it's working properly. If it is then hopefully it isn't V1 as it would need to be split if you need to replace it then V2 would move to V3. If you have an eprom reader you can pull the V roms and verify them.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The cart looks fixable.

PM with Xian or shadowkn55, first, see if they can help.