MY X68000 ACE AND ACEHD NOT WORKING

sy32

n00b
Hi
This is the problem i have with both my ACE and my ACEHD. I have done atx power swap on both of the systems and built the chip for them. But when i plug the system in and i get the red light come on, and then when i press the power button the green light comes on and that is it. The monitor shows no signal and the hd does not boot up, i can load a floppy in to the drive and eject it , but the disk drive will not read the disk. When i power off the green light goes off and the red light will not re-appear but the internal fan will keep running.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
im wondering if your PS has enough juice. if you disconnect the hdd and take it out of the equation, does the system boot or does it still not do anything?

if not the next thing I would attempt is to replace the SRAM battery. I've seen weirdness like that before with a dead battery

if that doesn't help then it probably requires a recap on the motherboard

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
This prob belongs here tbh...

Consider this a free bump...

xROTx

Pyract

n00b
Hi
This is the problem i have with both my ACE and my ACEHD. I have done atx power swap on both of the systems and built the chip for them. But when i plug the system in and i get the red light come on, and then when i press the power button the green light comes on and that is it. The monitor shows no signal and the hd does not boot up, i can load a floppy in to the drive and eject it , but the disk drive will not read the disk. When i power off the green light goes off and the red light will not re-appear but the internal fan will keep running.

I apologize for the necro-bump, I was just wondering if the OP ever found a solution for this. My ACE HD is doing the exact same thing verbatim. I've just recapped both the motherboard and the bottom board, and installed a new Pico power supply.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
A few things to check:

1) Verify that the power harness ends are receiving 5V, 12V and -12V with a multimeter.

2) Verify that the battery on the bottom board is connected and charged.

3) If your original battery leaked, carefully inspect the area around it for corrosion damage. Test nearby traces for continuity. On my Ace, I had to patch 6 traces.

4) Use a logic probe or oscilloscope to verify that the clock crystals are all generating their clock pulses. They’re a common failing point on the Ace.

5) All x68000s are notorious for burning out a TTL chip used for video output. The TTL is a SN74ALS05AN and it’s located on the main board right next to the rectangular plastic connector for the video output board. Test the chip with a logic probe if you have one. If you decide to replace it, put a socket in its place first so you can replace it again more easily down the road.

Hit me up if you have more questions. I have both an x68000 Ace and a x68030 that I’ve done a lot of work on.

Last edited:

Pyract

n00b
A few things to check:

1) Verify that the power harness ends are receiving 5V, 12V and -12V with a multimeter.

2) Verify that the battery on the bottom board is connected and charged.

3) If your original battery leaked, carefully inspect the area around it for corrosion damage. Test nearby traces for continuity. On my Ace, I had to patch 6 traces.

4) Use a logic probe or oscilloscope to verify that the clock crystals are all generating their clock pulses. They’re a common failing point on the Ace.

5) All x68000s are notorious for burning out a TTL chip used for video output. The TTL is a SN74ALS05AN and it’s located on the main board right next to the rectangular plastic connector for the video output board. Test the chip with a logic probe if you have one. If you decide to replace it, put a socket in its place first so you can replace it again more easily down the road.

Hit me up if you have more questions. I have both an x68000 Ace and a x68030 that I’ve done a lot of work on.

Awesome thank you for the advice!