N64 reset button not working

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
The situation here is slightly different to the standard case of the reset button being stuck in that the reset button is moving up and down but the N64 is not resetting.

In any case I opened the console up and gave it a clean anyway - pressing the momentary switch underneath the reset button does absolutely nothing leading to the conclusion that its something with the momentary switch itself - either dirty contacts or maybe the whole switch needs replacing for some reason or other.

Is it possible to disassemble the switch? I only looked at this briefly but couldn't see any easy way to do this (no obvious tabs etc).

Would be grateful for any info you might have on this (save for throwing this POS in the gutter and going to buy another :D)

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I don't remember the insides of the N64.
I opened mine once to do the RGB mod and got frustrated as my board is not compatible with the mod.

I'd check for cold solder joints. Re-flow that area and see if that helps.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to most likely replace the switch. You can try spraying a contact cleaner into it or take it apart and clean the contacts.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
If you replace it with something other than a donor switch, remember that it's push-to-break.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Would be grateful for any info you might have on this (save for throwing this POS in the gutter and going to buy another :D)

You would throw away a console simply because the reset button doesn't work? o_O

I for one would pay for shipping rather than have you throw it away, assuming it otherwise works.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Guys, thanks for your suggestions - after following Xian's advice and spraying contact cleaner inside the switch it basically started working, although one needs to thump the reset button pretty hard for it to register. I am thinking that with more use it will perhaps settle in; as mentioned I have also cleaned the reset button and housing and put some grease in there to keep things moving.