Namco Fighter PCBs? Am I a total dope for keeping these around?

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
I've realized that I have a stack of random Namco fighting PCBs....Tekken2, Soul Blade, Soul Calibur, Ehrgeiz. I take them out every now and again, have a hoot, and put them away.

And then I realized that there's a better console port of all of these....on hardware that is essentially identical.

Am I missing something, or were most of these games made pretty much obsolete by their ports?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I have Tekken Tag Tournament, looks like ass compared to the ps2 port, but rather play it on a cab. It just boils down to preference.

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
Yeah, I'm supergun only, so I lack that out. I like the games and don't even have them on Playstation (didn't have a PSX as a wee one)...but it seems like all these games were blown out of the water by console ports (Tekken tag being another good example).

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Tekken tag is much better on ps2. All the Tekken games, 1-3, have more content on psx. I hold onto my tekken 3 pcb because it says good morning when I power it on.

All ports from around the psx era forward are arguably better than their arcade counterparts with console exclusive characters, practice modes, force mode, team battle, survival, etc.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I think Soul Calibur is one of the only arcade games that has a vastly superior console port.

imo it depends if you have any sentimental value towards the game series.

For example I really love ocarina of time, I have it on n64, Gamecube and 3ds.

If I was in your place i'd keep em, these are some classic games.

I really hate the load time on PSX.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
it's all about gameplay, as long as that's good, i'm happy.
that said, lemme know if you wanna ditch something, looking for something to make my cyberlead fancier :)

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Did Namco make a Soul 'Blade' PCB? Presumed that the arcade version would be Edge only.

Just to dip into this even more, the PS2 version of Tekken 5 came bundled with the Arcade version of Tekken 1, 2, 3 and Starblade on the disc itself! This gave me the opportunity to compare the PS1 versions and the Arcade originals. There are pro's and cons to both.

As has already been said, the PS1 ports are more feature filled. However, the Arcade versions do look a bit nicer. But... only a bit. It's pretty negligible tbh. But some people will care (re: Law's model in Tekken 1, for example). The biggest thing for me in the console ports is the Arranged Soundtrack. The OST's are fine, but sound a bit naff compared to how good the Arranged versions are... right across the board.

Anyway, it's kind of a moot point I suppose when discussing the Tekken series, as you can play all of them up to and including T5 + the Arcade originals, all on the one console.

As for Ehrgeiz, I always liked how the Arcade version represented a collaboration between Namco & Square.

I will say re: load times, you have nothing to worry about at all, as Namco have always had lightning loading times on PS1. Also, the PS1 versions are still dirt cheap, so why not pick them up FIRST and just decide for yourself.