Naomi Linking Basics/Findings

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
I just wanted to throw this out there in the hopes that someone might find it useful in the future.

Things you need:
2+ Naomi motherboards
2+ Copies of the game
2+ Link boards
2+ Link cables

The biggest reason I want to post this is that the link cables are just toslink optical cables. Do not pay outrageous prices on ebay for used cables. Just get some Amazon Basics toslink audio cables. The only thing you need to pay attention to is the girth of the cable connector since they plug in flush against the motherboard. The amazon basics ones worked great.

Also don't overpay for the link boards. They're not rare but can be pretty pricey on ebay. I got them for $20 each in Akihabara.

To hook it all up just sandwich the link board and your game or dimm into the mobo. When connecting the optical cables just make sure you swap which cable is in which port on each motherboard. You may also need to go into the test mode to set the jvs settings to 1 player and then go into the game settings and enable network or link and set master and slave assignments.

I haven't found a definitive list of link compatible games yet. I currently only have Gundam Federation vs Zeon, but I imagine the basics are the same for all the link games. The obvious ones are all the racing games, and some of the gun games. But as far as "normal" controls, I only can confirm Gundam and Virtual On. Once I get another net dimm I'll run through everything.

It's also worth mentioning that the motherboards and game versions seem to be interchangeable. I'm using a Naomi 1 with a real GD Rom and DIMM and a Naomi 2 with a net dimm and network booting the game. They both have the multi region bios set to Japan.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
That’s what I told my wife, it’s all about the girth...

Maybe link to the amazon cable?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
The Gundam game is compatible?? I didn't know that. How many can you link? Only 2?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can't believe you didn't post the link to those toslink cables in the first post! Do you expect us to search for things ourselves!? Thanks goes to neodogg for being a bro and squeezing that outta ya.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Do you know if you can mix & match w/ netboot & cartridge/gd-rom

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
The Gundam game is compatible?? I didn't know that. How many can you link? Only 2?

I currently only have two copies and 2 link boards so I can't really test if you can link more. The UI seems like it might be up to 4, but I can't really say.
For what it's worth, the current Gundam VS game looks like it's like a million players based on how many cabs are in any given arcade (that game is super popular).

I can't believe you didn't post the link to those toslink cables in the first post! Do you expect us to search for things ourselves!? Thanks goes to neodogg for being a bro and squeezing that outta ya.
Not sure if serious. It's just a standard toslink cable.

Do you know if you can mix & match w/ netboot & cartridge/gd-rom
You can. I'm using one GDRom copy on a Naomi 1, and 1 Netbooted copy on a Naomi 2.

Isn’t the Ferrari game linkable?
I think you link multiple boards together for the multi screen experience. I'm not sure if you can link multiple setups for multiplayer. Either way most of the racing games are linkable.