Naomi vs. Dreamcast? I'm just Puzzled

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I'm not too up on Naomi stuff, but from what I gather, its the same games that are on the DC... like an AES vs. MVS debate, only the prices are reversed...

What tiles are exclusive to Naomi that are not on the DS?

I just don't understand the logic...

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
I think 'JAMBO SAFARI'....was one such title..witch i missed seeing on the good old dreamy..

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Slashout is 1, some of the Taito games I think too: Azumanga Daioh Puzzle Bobble.

Last edited:

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have a Dreamcast mostly for the near arcade-perfect Naomi ports (as well as some Neo, CPS-3 and CPS-2 ports). The DC has less memory than the Naomi, so some games had to be adjusted to account for that, plus you're not playing it on an arcade monitor with true arcade controls. However, given the price differential for a Naomi setup vs a Dreamcast, I just can't justify getting the Naomi. My DC (I actually have two consoles, one as a spare) with 48 games, many of them among the more expensive DC titles, two Agetec joysticks, light gun and other accessories cost me about the same as a Naomi with Capcom I/O, one game and a supergun would cost. There are some Naomi games that weren't ported to the DC, as others have mentioned, but there are enough that were to keep me happy.

T_Smallz

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
hmmm... good question...

There are many games on Naomi that have never been released on Dreamcast. Dreamcast did a nice job of porting many games, however the ports are not perfect to the arcade versions either. Probably only 25% of the games actually seen a release on Dreamcast.

None of the Naomi 2 games were ever released on the DC as they are too complex for the Dreamcast hardware.

As far as emulation TONK (which we're both fans of), no one has ever been able to emulate any of the Naomi games.

VOTE HERE! :mr_t:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
T_Smallz said:
There are many games on Naomi that have never been released on Dreamcast. Dreamcast did a nice job of porting many games, however the ports are not perfect to the arcade versions either. Probably only 25% of the games actually seen a release on Dreamcast.

But most DC ports have extra stuff and specially game modes much more suited for pure home use, just like MVS/AES, but you can't have a unibios trick... Plus VMU saving.

I agree there are some Naomi-only games, but most of them need a dedicated cab or controls hard, expensive and un-practical to reproduce at home. And there are naomi games that because of this are actually easier to play in the DC port when it exists, like the gun ones (HotD 2...) and racing (Ferrari...).

Naomi 2 games were not ported to DC but some are to other consoles like PS2 and GC. I agree VF4 on PS2 is an inferior port, but Beach Spikers for example is not.

To own a Naomi for home use, unless you have a cab (and if posible dedicated and/or with a hi-res monitor), I agree is not very practical, but well, some people like to go the extra mile to have REAL arcade hardware. I know you can hook a DC to a cab but it's just not the same.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Monkey Ball

That's my new mission.

Tonk I think it's kinda like going to McDonalds or In and Out. Both are burgers, but only one is worth it. I have an assload of dc titles and now I'm ready to play with the big boys. (just on Naomi 1 level though...) I guess there's kind of a 133+ thing going on too. You have inferior ports while we play the real thing...

If anyone finds a Virtual On kit with the control panel cheap BUY IT! Even if you don't want it.

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
The main reason I'm going to get a Naomi setup as soon as my budget permits is the fact that most of the games I want for it come in cartridge format. I'm not too keen on CD (or in this case, GD) technology when it comes to videogaming, therefore I'm always going with the cartridge version of a game if one is available (even if it has less features than the CD version!). I'm just a sucker for carts! :make_fac:

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
TonK said:
What tiles are exclusive to Naomi that are not on the DS?

Subliminal. :p

Tonk, there are still more games coming out for the Naomi as well, and it is not likely all of them will make appearances on the DC. As far as us westerners are concerned, getting a Naomi will be the only way to play these games.

With cart Naomi games you get to play them with less or no load times. Bonus? Loss of sound quality?