Need help on recovering files from harddrive

Kert

Mr. Big's Thug
20 Year Member
I think my hard drive is going to die soon.

I have two partition on the hard drive and now only one is showing.

Now the bad partition only shows file in RAW filesystem format.

Does anyone know how to retrieve RAW format files from my bad partition of the hard drive?

The operation system is Microsoft XP Home edition.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Have you tried seeing if any other operating system can read the other partition?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Have you tried seeing if any other operating system can read the other partition?

Yeah boot from a live cd and mount those partitions. Should be able to see them from a live cd..
I would suggest using a linux live cd and checking for bad blocks and repairing them with fschk and then if you have a good drive to copy to, you can just dd everything over and you should be just fine.

Kert

Mr. Big's Thug
20 Year Member
Used Debian and cannot locate the partition.

It says I do not have permission.

How do I mount the drive?

Also I read on other website that repairing the partition may corrupt the files and I could lose all the data since the drive is in RAW format.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Used Debian and cannot locate the partition.

It says I do not have permission.

How do I mount the drive?

Also I read on other website that repairing the partition may corrupt the files and I could lose all the data since the drive is in RAW format.

Just go in as root and do it.
What I would do then if you are worried about that is to dd everything [ like this:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/some_backup_drive_mount/sda1.image
dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/some_backup_drive_mount/sda2.image
no need to mount it. ]
Then run smartctl on the original drive and see if it really is failing and what is up with it.
Then try to repair your original drive with badblocks and fsck. That way you have a clone of each partition is omething goes afoul.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert