Need help, sound problems with 6 slot board. No sound from speakers, but headphones work.

SSS

neo retired
Just picked up a 6 slot board for a good price. Having a problem with the sound however. I've tried the board in 2 cabs, no sound from speakers. However, upon plugging it up to a cab that has the little memory card board/headphone jacks (MV1A?) via the auxiliary 4 pin connector. I get perfect stereo sound from headphones, volume adjust slider functions fine for headphones.

Is it possible the slider for the speakers is bad, or should I be looking elsewhere?

toricmedia

n00b
Hi. You'll find that the headphone output comes before the power amp stage on the board, so the problem will be around the power amp circuit.

Normally that would entail changing all the electrolytic capacitors in that area and cleaning the contacts on the volume sliders. In most cases this will fix the problem.

Thanks.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, recap it. Even though the headphones work I'd just replace all the electrolytic caps. If you go to channelmaniac's site he sells cap kits for like $4 or so.

toricmedia

n00b
I just re-capped mine the other day - cost me a little more ($11 AUD), but I bought the caps from the shop down the road, so I didn't have to wait for delivery :-).

I don't know what other people think but, while you're around that area, I would recommend also changing the cap next to the YM2610. It seems to be often overlooked when audio capping but, if this one goes, you'll lose all sound altogether.