Need help understanding monitor mount in Big Red Version 3

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
So, I got a Big Red, version 3 project cab, and it had no monitor. I have a 25" monitor ready to mount in the cab, but I'm kinda thrown off by what I see. There is no metal frame to mount the monitor too, but there is a a square wooden frame. Does the version 3 Big Red monitor mount directly to that wooden square, or is there some sort of bracket I am missing? My monitor has a frame, but usually there are four metal bolts sticking up that the monitor slides onto. There are no metal bolts, just a wooden frame that the monitor rests on.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
So, I got a Big Red, version 3 project cab, and it had no monitor. I have a 25" monitor ready to mount in the cab, but I'm kinda thrown off by what I see. There is no metal frame to mount the monitor too, but there is a a square wooden frame. Does the version 3 Big Red monitor mount directly to that wooden square, or is there some sort of bracket I am missing? My monitor has a frame, but usually there are four metal bolts sticking up that the monitor slides onto. There are no metal bolts, just a wooden frame that the monitor rests on.

The Big Red v3 and all other Big Reds presumably have an inner wooden square that they mount to. On the two 25" monitors I've worked with there were three screw holes on the top frame and the bottom frame. I would lift and slowly slide the monitor across the bottom of the monitor space until I had to let the monitor's top rail "fall" into place. After that, it's a matter of lifting and pushing the monitor from the front until the top frame and bottom frame can no longer be pushed back. At that point I take a medium sized wood screw, put a large sized washer on it, and then screw it into the wooden square to hold it in place. If all six screws are in then I've seen my cab be moved sideways without that monitor moving at all.

However, depending on the two vertical rails along the back of the monitor that hold the monitor control board's tray in place there might be a point at which the monitor gets stuck. This is because those rails are too close to the wooden box that they do not simply slide underneath them. In that case, on my v1 Big Red for example, the original arcade operator cut notches in that wooden square so that the rail could slide through the square. On my v3 it seemed big enough of a wooden box that no such extra action was ever needed. New tri-sync monitor, or old Wells Gardner monitor.

Here's a picture of my old v3 Big Red with an earlier monitor mounted in it.

angledfront.png

Just be safe!

Last edited:

TravistyOJ

Another Striker
Thanks! This was exactly the info I needed. I figured it would be secure with some wood screws and washers, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something fundamental. Once I replace the chassis on my 25" in tube, I can mount it in there. You wouldn't know the specific size screws or washers would you? If not I can just use something close. Thanks again!