Need opinions on a purchase

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
So here's the deal. I'm about to go pick up another 4 slot next week that needs a lot more work than the one I already have. It'll either go to a friend when I'm done fixing it up or it'll be used in a local retro gaming store. That's not the issue.

The issue is the guy also has a Battle Shark cabinet (stand up version, dedicated) that looks like it's in pretty solid shape. I remember playing it when I was a kid and it was fairly fun. Para scope aiming thing-a-ma-jig and whatnot. I can get it for a steal, but I don't have a lot of room and I want the general consensus... And it'll probably need a lot of love.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
or it'll be used in a local retro gaming store. That's not the issue.

This can technically be an issue depending on the state and town the retro store is located. Even on Free Play, being a coin-op machine in a retail store might require an amusement license. Some towns just don't care. A simple phone call can clear that up without even mentioning the retro game store at all.

The issue is the guy also has a Battle Shark cabinet (stand up version, dedicated) that looks like it's in pretty solid shape. I remember playing it when I was a kid and it was fairly fun. Para scope aiming thing-a-ma-jig and whatnot. I can get it for a steal, but I don't have a lot of room and I want the general consensus... And it'll probably need a lot of love.

Fairly fun + completely dedicated cabinet + Limited space. Sounds like your mind is made up. Unless you truly love the game.

At least a dedicated JAMMA cab with joysticks/buttons can play a large variety of other games, Battle Shark can't.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
This can technically be an issue depending on the state and town the retro store is located. Even on Free Play, being a coin-op machine in a retail store might require an amusement license. Some towns just don't care. A simple phone call can clear that up without even mentioning the retro game store at all.

At least a dedicated JAMMA cab with joysticks/buttons can play a large variety of other games, Battle Shark can't.

True. But I've never given two shits about licenses =)

I concur about the dedicated cab. I just want opinions and I appreciate it. Do you (or anyone) know if it would be worthwhile to resto? If there's a demand for it?

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I concur about the dedicated cab. I just want opinions and I appreciate it. Do you (or anyone) know if it would be worthwhile to resto? If there's a demand for it?

KLOV would be the better site as far as demand and restoration answers. I've fixed a few on location in the 90s, but parts availability now is a good question for KLOV as well.