Neo cd control pads

Metal-Willis

Super Sidekicks 2
Hey, can anyone give me their own personal review of the Neo CD control pads. I'm heavily interested in picking some up but wanted to see what others thought of them and how they compare to the original stick style controllers for the AES. Do they 'feel' right when playing games, because I'm sure most of you know if the controller doesn't feel right then it just ruins the game.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Hey, can anyone give me their own personal review of the Neo CD control pads. I'm heavily interested in picking some up but wanted to see what others thought of them and how they compare to the original stick style controllers for the AES. Do they 'feel' right when playing games, because I'm sure most of you know if the controller doesn't feel right then it just ruins the game.

1. They're great for platformers and shooters.
2. They suck for fighters, the stick makes it hard to pull off moves. The button placement makes moves a bit more complicated as well.
3. The stick gets clogged up with plastic dust and quits working properly.. so you gotta open them up for a cleaning periodically.

Overall I enjoy using them.

Last edited:

Metal-Willis

Super Sidekicks 2
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll track a pair down and get them to see for myself.

Thoughts from others?

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Overall they feel quite solid for a console controller. They have the "clicky" noise you have come to expect from a Neo controller.

I agree with WoodyXP - great for shooters, not as ideal for fighters. That being said, they still beat your average d-pad.

Worth checking out IMO

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
I will confirm 100% what WoodyXp and egg_sanwich are saying about this controller.

Be carefull when picking one up though, because what WoodyXp is saying about the d-pad clogging up is 100% true.
I've experienced this as well, and heard from mutliple sources this is a common flaw found on these controllers. Consider yourself a lucky man if you manage to pick up an untested unit with a d-pad that still works 100% correctly and that still has all its clickyness.

Therefore, I'd advise you to double check with the seller if it is in 100% working condition, and if possible test it yourself first.

Repairing it is not difficult at all, but it's somewhat annoying to be honest.

Apart from that, it is one of my favorite joypads on any old school gaming console.

Josh

Banned
These controllers are perfect for Metal Slug. Unfortunately, they arent the most reliable over time. This repair tutorial seems to be the best one out there, and it looks as if the guy who made this video also offers a repair service for the people who aren't up to the task of repairing them. $20 plus return shipping to clean up a set of 2 seems like a pretty fair deal as well.
http://www.retrogamecave.com/neo-geo.html

SSS

neo retired
Old style stick definitely the right choice. Cd pads just.... Meh

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I love the Cd pad,Its weird for fighters but you get used to it.

SSS

neo retired
There are some folks who swear by them. I saw a MOTW match on a neo cab where player 1 had plugged a pad into the mobo cause he wasn't used to the stick. Lost though.