Neo cd game pad

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Im very use to playing fighters on ps1 2 3s controllers after man years. Saw the neo cd gamepad, hows teh dpad hold up for fighters? Would like to know a little before I buy one, any help appreciated.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
For a new, perfectly working pad it takes some getting used to, but it's pretty good for fighters and great for shooters and Metal Slug. The problem is that the sticks wear out after a little while, I've got two pads that both have issues with pressing down now. Not a big deal in a side scroller but it makes pulling off specials in a fighter almost impossible. They can probably be taken apart and cleaned and they'd be fine, but I haven't bothered, I just use a stick or a PS2 pad with a Tototek converter.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
awesoem thanks, I was looking at those converters on a site, so they be working well no issues? awesome thanks man

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Tototek conveter works perfectly fine, but some people do not like the button layout and you can't (easily) change it. As a SNES kid, I like the Tototek layout. The Neo CD button placement is like this:

CD
AB

While the Tototek (IIRC) is laid out like this:

AC
BD

Lemony Vengeance has also been known to convert other controllers to work on the Neo, such as SNES and Saturn pads. He does awesome work.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I actually just started having the down problem, GoHung, haven't cleaned it yet, but I took it apart in just a few minutes a week or two ago. Th stick cover comes off real easy with tabs.
neostick.jpg

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The Tototek conveter works perfectly fine, but some people do not like the button layout and you can't (easily) change it. As a SNES kid, I like the Tototek layout. The Neo CD button placement is like this:

CD
AB

While the Tototek (IIRC) is laid out like this:

AC
BD

Personally, I love Tototek button layout. I think it's perfect. By contrast, the NeoCD pad button layout makes eff'all sense to me, whatsoever!

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
WOW! that is some cake or nose candy in there. I too have the "down" issue, guess it happens with time. :crying:

I thought there was a video of someone doing this, poping the tabs off and cleaning it. Doesn't seem too difficult.

I actually just started having the down problem, GoHung, haven't cleaned it yet, but I took it apart in just a few minutes a week or two ago. Th stick cover comes off real easy with tabs.
View attachment 15465

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
WOW! that is some cake or nose candy in there. I too have the "down" issue, guess it happens with time. :crying:

I thought there was a video of someone doing this, poping the tabs off and cleaning it. Doesn't seem too difficult.

That ain't white lightning probably some fuku fallout, sat666 style.

Super easy, i was just curious what the clicky stick looked like and took it apart.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That video is by Mr. "SupremeJudge" XianXi

There's also a more recent one (2013) by RetroGameTech which I never bothered to watch:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I thought XianXi was black!
I thought he was actually Donny Yen. Until I read the word 'Hawaii' beneath his avatar.

Then I realised he was probably Sammo Hung instead, using a picture of Donny Yen...

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Is there any interest in a PS3 or XBOX360 to Neo joystick converter? I'm thinking about making a dongle that powered from the Neo on one end and had a USB connector on the other for the joypad. I know there's already an PS1/PS2 converter so I'd rather not spend time messing with that proprietary connector. It would cost more than the Tototek but ~$30 may be possible.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
As an update for the video, I found an easier way to take of the thumb pad. Once you pop of the back of the controller, you can use a pair of wire cutters and place it right under the ball joint of the thumb stick and just pry it up, should pop right off.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Got a fam gathering tomorrow AM, so instead of drinking I'm organizing shit and getting my OCD scrubbing bubbles on. Check out all these parts on the SG ProgramPad2. The PCB is pretty cool for it too, it's got a matte texture to it, looks quality, and look at those contacts, I am thoroughly impressed, some next level quality for a 3rd party controller. I think this is going to be my battle cry controller once I get it cleaned up.

SGpad2.jpg

Ohh... baby

sgpadcln.jpg

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
futurism in your hands... also cheating.